Drinking with meals

farewell2fat
on 3/15/11 10:47 am, edited 3/15/11 10:53 am - Apopka, FL
I know that drinking w/meals is not advised because it helps push food through your stomach faster, making you hungry sooner. But, does it also stretch out your stomach??

bublegirl1
on 3/15/11 10:50 am
RNY on 11/10/14
I don't believe it does. My nutritionist said to drink no more than 4 oz with a meal. So I like that I can take a few sips to help it down. I can't really drink anything more than that anyway because it makes it uncomfortable. But no, I believe it does not stretch your stomach.

-Amie

jacksmom2006
on 3/15/11 10:55 am
The only thing I was warned about in terms of drinks and stretching out my stomach was carbonated drinks. I don't drink with my meals though, I try to wait 15-30 minutes after eating before I drink.

Vanessa

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

cattywompos
on 3/15/11 11:18 am
I don't think it would stretch your stomach either. Most people agree that it takes eating until your are overfull many many times to stretch your tummy.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

KathyA999
on 3/15/11 11:23 am
I think liquidy things, even mixed with food, would probably come back up before they would stretch your stomach.  I've discovered that I HAVE to wait to drink at least an hour after a meal, because otherwise I get foamy burps, not a fun thing.  I burp a bit after most meals anyway, nice dry belches (good thing I live alone), but they get foamy and liquidy when I drink with my meals.  Eww!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

frisco
on 3/15/11 11:29 am

Short answer.... YES it can!

Drinking liquids on an empty sleeve should not be a problem. Your pyloric valve is "Open" it is about the size of a dime to a nickel.

What you don't want to do is drink after eating a solid food...... Your pyloric valve closes to the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen from the food......the denser the food the more it closes.

Drinking to much on top of a closed pyloric valve will cause positive pressure inside your sleeve.

Hope this explains it......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tausha P.
on 3/15/11 12:44 pm - Fergus Falls, MN
 You so smart, Frisco... (read in ghetto voice)
                    HW: 344 SW: 311 (33 lbs lost in pre-op diet) 
“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.? ~Lao Tzu    
frisco
on 3/15/11 3:22 pm

Are you gettin all ghetto on me !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

glendary
on 3/15/11 11:31 am
I think I may be the only one on this site that has Dr permission to drink with meals.  All be it, small sips, and not to wash down anything.  After trying to figure out how to get in enough liquids a day and fighting gas that kept bringing up my meals, my Dr. and NUT came up with the idea that if I sipped while I ate, it would push the air up and I would burp and not throw-up my meals.  So far, I have been doing this for two months and it is working.

Glendary        
HappyHunny
on 3/15/11 11:49 am
I drink with my meals always have!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views