Dehydration

cosmicgreengirlygirl
on 4/2/11 2:06 pm
I have my sleeve surgery on 4/20/11 and my surgeon wants me to be drinking 64 oz of fluids a day. I do not like the taste of water and the diet drinks are nasty. On average I can only chock down around half of what is recommended. Has any one ever got dehydrated after the surgery? How essential is it to drink this much, on average how much fluid do you drink throughout the day?

sleeve genie
on 4/2/11 2:24 pm - Alhambra, CA
Yes it is very important to get in the fluids.  The fluids is what washes the fat away.  Dehydration is a very real fear post op and people have to go to the ER to get IV fluids.   I drink 66 ozs mimimum, plus a couple of cups of coffee and sometimes tea and hot chocolate.  This is something that you MUST do if you want to be successful.   Good luck,  you can do it  :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

GavinC
on 4/2/11 2:51 pm
I hate water too!  I practically live on sugar free popsicles and SoBe water (flavored, sugar free, and has vitamins).
MediumSoon
on 4/2/11 2:56 pm - TX
I know what opinions are worth, but I second Jeani's post - this is something you MUST figure out. Fluid is NOT an option. Tea, water, something..... 64 ounces is an absolute MINIMUM. Find something you like and can drink... You will end up in the ER if you do not get your fluids. If you have questions, call your NUT.

justrite
on 4/2/11 3:27 pm - Sacramento, CA
I second the sf popsicles!! helped me a lot! try your best,Jeani is right.
NewDawn50
on 4/2/11 3:50 pm
I know its hard.  We seem to have to be stuffing these tiny tummies all day long with either something to drink or something to eat, when we'd rather just leave it alone sometimes.  We would have killed for this pre-op, right?

I will confess I had to work my way up to all the liquids.  Up until 6 weeks I rarely got in more than 40 - 45 oz., which may have contributed to my long stall.  I just couldn't get it in.  I confessed to my NUT and my surgeon, who just kept pushing me, telling me I had to keep trying and getting more.

I do get it in now, at 3 months out, but I get the 64 oz. minimum.  I want to work my way up to between 80 and 100 oz. per day.  This may take a little longer, but its a work in progress.

The sooner you get in your liquids, the better off you will be.  Keep going - you must.  You'll do it.

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/11 3:54 pm - Germantown, MD
 It really is difficult early out. I found a product that helps me get in the water I need even now. It's called True Lemon/Lime/Orange (http://www.truelemon.com). You can order it online or buy it in the grocery store (for whatever reason, I've always found it on the aisle with the splenda, even though it's NOT a sweetener). Essentially it's unsweetened, crystalized citrus. It adds a little something to the water without making it sweet.  

As for how essential it is to not get dehydrated? This post should scare ya :P http://greatgastrectomy.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/dangers-of-dehydration/

Also read this. http://www.symptomsofdehydration.com/
bigdiva
on 4/3/11 6:04 am - West Minneapolis Suburbs, MN
On days I hate water ( my taste changes) so some days I hate water I go for Powerade. It has the electrolytes and is hydrating. They have a no sugar option, and to be honest the full flavor is only 50 calories a serving. Good luck!
cosmicgreengirlygirl
on 4/5/11 1:29 pm
Thank you all so much for the encouragement and suggestions. I'm going to just keep pluggin along and I'll keep everyone posted.

I am going to try the truelemon and I went and bought a huge box of SF popsicles.  

Again, Thank you all

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 138 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 404 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 433 views