adding protein powder to coffee?

byebyeburden
on 5/23/11 12:31 am
Hello, how do you add protein powder to your coffee?  I added it to cold coffee, stired it up until I thought it was mixed then microwaved it.  Now, apparently you don't have to microwave it as long as black coffee because it spilled over.  After cleaning up my mess, I added cream and I noticed it was clumpy.  YUCK.  Was it clumpy because of the protein powder or the creamer? 

How do you mix protein powder to your coffee?

thanks
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

cmgg1972
on 5/23/11 12:35 am
i would do the opposite.  add the coffee to protein powder.
tdenise8958
on 5/23/11 1:03 am - CO
It's turning clumpy because of the temp of the coffee. Protein powder will clump up if its hotter than 130 degrees. It's kind of an exact science....it took me awhile, but I have it down pat now. I do half a scoop of vanila protein powder and 1 tablespoon of the Coffeemate sugar free french vanilla, mix those two together until it turns into a paste. Then I add my coffee (about a 1/4 of a cup, stir really well (you have to also get your spoon and push and crush the powder on the side of your cup to mix it up well....then I add remining coffee, stir again. Sometimes you may have a little protein poweder floating on top, but just sifen that off with your spoon. AFter a few tries, you will get it....but it's one easy way for me to get 11-12 grams of protein (and 12 oz of liquid) with my cup of joe first thing in the morning! Just remember, don't put your coffee in there piping hot or it will clump up to no end! You can microwave the coffee again after you have it mixed well (for some reason, once it's mixed in like I suggested above, it won't clump anymore).
  Lost 12 pounds during pre-op diet

buxom_blossom
on 5/23/11 1:11 am
VSG on 04/12/11 with
I have a "protein latte" that packs 23g of protein every morning for breakfast and it's delish!

To make it I use my magic bullet to blend 1 scoop of vanilla Max Protein, 1 sachet of decaf Starbucks Via instant coffee, 1/4 cup of unsweetened soy or coconut milk. It mixes well and becomes nicely frothed.

Then I just add boiling water to the mixture. It's creamy, frothy and sort of sweet - just like a vanilla latte.
I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

byebyeburden
on 5/23/11 1:34 am
I thought it would be real easy to do, but it apparently is way harder.  I will give your suggestions a try.  My only other thought is, should I just add it to cold items, like cold drinks?  or yogurt? 

Man, I thought that this would of worked and I could get that punch of protien in the morning.
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Ms Shell
on 5/23/11 2:12 am - Hawthorne, CA
I actually just have a favorite liquid protein that I add to coffee

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Jenijeni
on 5/23/11 2:46 am
Me too! I did an iced coffee yesterday with EAS pre mixed chocolate added. It was awesome!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

daddysgrl
on 5/23/11 3:12 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I go for the Frappiccino idea without the cost. 8 oz of 1% milk. 1-2 scoops of vanilla protein powder. 1 packet equal. 1 packet of nestles instant decaf coffee. and a handful of ice cubes. Blend and enjoy. So yummy.

wert
on 5/23/11 3:17 am - MN
Start COLD.

Here's what I do - I use Chike protein powder and 10 oz. cold water in my shaker bottle. Add an additional 1/2 scoop of Unjury Vanilla or Chocolate.  Add a packet of Starbucks instant coffee. Shake it up. Pour it into my coffee mug. Heat for 1 min. 22 seconds. Stir with spoon. Drink. 

If you heat protein powder over 130 degrees, I think it is, it will clump up have an unpleasant consistency.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 3:19 am - CA
Hello,
I make my pot of coffee as usual. I pour my fat free creamer into the cup and add protein powder to it and vigorously stir it until its as incorporated as possible. Then I pour my hot coffee over that and stir some more. No lumps!! I believe it's because the cream is cold and the coffee is hot, they even out each other.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views