so my doc changed his diet after going to a WLS seminar

urmisnshin2
on 6/19/11 8:13 am - TX

I went for my pre-op appt yesterday and we were given all of our dietary guideliness etc, then given a new handout with a revised post op diet. We were told the doc just went to a seminar with updated studies/reviews etc so now his post op diet to: 1st week clear liquids, no protien, 2nd wk full liquids with protein, 3rd-6th wks-mushy/pureed/soft then start adding in regular food. ...thats awesome to me...his diet was a full 3 weeks of liquid and protein shakes before mushies...
-Pam

Erica77
on 6/19/11 8:18 am - MN
That is the plan I'm on right now.
acbbrown
on 6/19/11 8:22 am - Granada Hills, CA
I'm a little concerned that your doctor wants you to have NO protein for the first WEEK? What are you supposed to do for nutrition?

Maybe I read that wrong?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

USAF Wife
on 6/19/11 8:43 am
Staying hydrated beats protein consumption in my surgeon's book too. I was allowed to have all the sugar free jello, popsicles, broths, water, crystal light, gatorade/powerade etc etc through the clear liquids stage and was advised to worry about staying hydrated more than trying to push in protein.

I didn't get protein in until I hit soft foods/mushies, and was no worse off than others that got it in from 2 days post-op. I'm not trying to argue, but sharing my experience and my surgeon's concerns.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

jengo1971
on 6/19/11 9:10 am
I had very little if any protein the first week.  It's most important to concentrate on hydration.  That's enough of a challenge without trying to get "your protein in" too.  One week without protein will not cause deficiencies.  Good luck!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
acbbrown
on 6/19/11 9:18 am - Granada Hills, CA
I don't know anything, so thanks for the info. My life would have been better had my surgeon taken this approach....

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Chimere
on 6/19/11 10:39 am
Beef broth has 5 grams of protien in it. Chicken broth has 1 gram not as much but its something. 

A wk isnt goin to make a big diff in the scheme of things better to let the tummy heal
urmisnshin2
on 6/19/11 10:58 am - TX
They do not want you focusing on getting in protein the first week because most people cannot tolerate it anyway and staying hydrated is the key in the first week. That is reasonable to me, I 've been a nurse for a long time and you can live a whole lot longer without food than you can withou****er and dehydration is one of the leading causes of hospital re-admission. Everyone I know who has had wls has done fine with minimal protein the first week and focusing on fluids. I'm good with it...
thanks!
=Pam
MediumSoon
on 6/19/11 2:20 pm - TX
At a minimum, this will relieve a fair amount of stress associated with not getting the suggested protein. This can only be a good thing.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views