Why do people go to Under Qualified Surgeons?

frisco
on 7/19/11 12:39 am, edited 7/19/11 12:49 am

Maybe I shouldn't be making this post without any sleep......

But it really baffles me why people let Under Qualified Surgeons perform surgery on them???

Meaning letting a surgeon that doesn't have any real history, statistics and success with the procedure cut there stomach out? Than a few months later they are asking why they are eating to much of the wrong foods and not losing weight ????

When a person posts.... "I'm one week out (or two weeks or one month) what should I be eating"

Ding Ding Ding Ding !!!!! That means we either got a crappy surgeon or a dumb patient. A crappy surgeon because he/she didn't give any instructions....Or a dumb patient because they didn't ask....or read the materials/instructions.

When a surgeon tells you that you will only lose 60% of your EW.....do you just go with it and hope for the best?

Here is a question..... Do you choose a Surgeon because they are in your hometown but they have very little sleeve experience.... or do you get on a plane and travel a couple of hours to an Expert VSG surgeon that has a very high success rate with their patients?????

One of the comments that will come up is.... Hey..... your surgeon had to start somewhere ....he had a first, a second, a third....he had to start somewhere....

And you would be 100% right !!!!!!

But.... I'm not gonna be one of the first ones... are you?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jenijeni
on 7/19/11 12:47 am
...and GOOD morning to you, too, Frisco dear!! LMAO... I chose my surgeon because he was cute and was right down the street and was offering a two for one blue light special!!

Geesh, how the f*ck did you choose yours?

OK, I lie. While "all surgeons have to start somewhere", I think that most of us would agree that as a resident, they HAD to learn what was the right thing to do. Having a "newbie" surgeon should not mean that you are getting compromised care. Agreed?

I'm absolutely sick when I read some of the **** people post on here. "Why am I not losing? I only eat ONE happy meal every day..." Ugh. Are you kidding me??

Have a wonderful morning... and GET SOME SLEEP!!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

frisco
on 7/19/11 1:04 am
 ----OK, I lie. While "all surgeons have to start somewhere", I think that most of us would agree that as a resident, they HAD to learn what was the right thing to do. Having a "newbie" surgeon should not mean that you are getting compromised care. Agreed?

Agreed....It should not mean you are getting compromised care. But that seems to be the case....people are getting compromised care.....that is my point and concern.
I wish that everybody that goes through any WL procedure gets the maximum results!
I also would like to see the VSG become the go to "Gold Standard" weight loss procedure that helps a high percentage of people that under go this surgery.

The lines get much more fuzzy because the VSG is a non standardized procedure. Getting a big sleeve and no instructions or any aftercare doesn't seem the ideal recipe for success ????

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jenijeni
on 7/19/11 1:21 am, edited 7/19/11 4:12 am
Agreed. But being a certified pharmacy tech I have seen my fair share of older docs that are remiss in their duties to their patients! All docs that don't do their jobs need to be called to question. It's ridiculous to think that anyone is giving out some of the misinformation that we see on these forums daily.

**Edited to correct my "auto-corrected" placement of apostrophes. I can't STAND auto-correct!!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

SuperRN597
on 7/19/11 1:21 am
I think you are right about it not being standardized.  I believe it is because it is still so new.  Having said that, I also think that there will be variations in the VSG from surgeon to surgeon just as there continue to be in the RNY, and we know how long they have been doing those.

I also think that some of the issue with surgeons having little sleeve experience also stems from them adding this to their list of procedures long after they are out of residency.  That is a whole different ball game.  There is a standard that is supposed to be met when a surgeon takes on a new skill.  They are supposed to be supervised just like a resident and have to be "checked off" and do so many before they can be considered proficient.  Then, when they reach this level, they can start counting how many they have done.  It all boils down to who they learn under and how that surgeon taught them.  So, if the one they are tutored by is not the best, then neither will the new guy...but, the new guy can perfect his technique and do a better job if he so desires...that will come in time so, the first ones he does are not going to be really good ones.

I could be way off base here, but I don't think so.
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

MELMEL308
on 7/19/11 4:17 am - PA
On July 19, 2011 at 7:47 AM Pacific Time, Jenijeni wrote:
...and GOOD morning to you, too, Frisco dear!! LMAO... I chose my surgeon because he was cute and was right down the street and was offering a two for one blue light special!!

Geesh, how the f*ck did you choose yours?

OK, I lie. While "all surgeons have to start somewhere", I think that most of us would agree that as a resident, they HAD to learn what was the right thing to do. Having a "newbie" surgeon should not mean that you are getting compromised care. Agreed?

I'm absolutely sick when I read some of the **** people post on here. "Why am I not losing? I only eat ONE happy meal every day..." Ugh. Are you kidding me??

Have a wonderful morning... and GET SOME SLEEP!!

HAHA...I love your blue light special comment!  It turned out that My surgeon is a cutie..but I picked him because of the experience and the highly recommended hospital and bariatrics program...

I like this post.. I was just agravated over the weekend because i have a few of my female cousins who aparently are setting up consultations to get surgery..WHY? Because they are seeing my results... which ok, I am flattered...BUT, it is driving me crazy because they arent doing any research.  I spent hours a day reading, and searching, and yes getting opinions of others, but if i didnt understand something, i searched for the answer, or i called my surgeon's office to explain it.. My cousins dont even know what they are getting into..according to the one, she said "I dont know what surgery i want, i am waiting until they tell me on my consultation."  really?  so, i guess she is waiting for someone to give her the answers. 
I don't mind giving my input but everytime i say do some research or sign up to OH, i get a comment back "oh i dont have time for that"..or I will see what they tell me.  apart of me wants to be this advocate for WLS but if you want someone to give you the answers to everything, than you are wasting your time..because i can almost guarantee that these same people will be the ones to fail, because if they dont have time to research, then what makes them think they will put any effort into losing weight...

~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
(deactivated member)
on 7/19/11 4:26 am
You know- this is funny as my friend of many many years had the RNY.. lost all her weight.. and when I told her I was going for WLS myself the first thing she said was "oh, don't do it just because I was successful at it.." I had to bite my tongue before I spoke. When I told her, Oh no, I wasn't getting the RNY, and she was not the reason I was pursuing this (????) she gave me a odd look.. 

Yes, I actually had to explain to her that I DIDN'T want the same surgery she had, but very carefully as I didn't want to hurt her feelings.. I don't think she did a whole lot of research before hers, but I sure as heck did before mine.
julyxo84
on 7/19/11 12:58 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 Probably more dumb patients than Under Qualified Surgeons :P
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

SuperRN597
on 7/19/11 1:04 am, edited 7/19/11 1:11 am
I couldn't agree with you more Frisco! I think, no, I know, you and I are were in about the same place mentally, emotionally, if not physically. I really think that makes a big difference in how we decide on a surgeon...or anything else we buy for that matter. Most people do not know how to really research what is out there. But, for me, where I was, it was life and death for me so I needed the tried and true best...nothing else would do for me...this was my last chance and getting my life back and I had not a second to lose.

As for the newbie surgeons, they get a lot of practice way before they are turned loose so to speak. If you have surgery in a teaching hospital, chances are a resident did your surgery and you don't even know it. The attending was there and was at the resident's elbow the whole time, but you can bet he didn't do it. This is how they learn.

Get some sleep Frisco. Will you be at group on Wednesday in San Jose? I know you said something about going last night in SF.

Edited for spelling...lol.
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

The_Chungs
on 7/19/11 1:07 am

Okay, now that I've had a good laugh (Thanks guys)....

I understand your frustration, Frisco, but you must realize that not everyone has access to top notch surgeons.  Many people don't have the time and/or money to fly across the country/world to have a super-star surgeon perform their surgery, so they have to go with the best available within their means.  Sometimes it's better to take a risk than keep struggling through a life of super morbid obesity.

Now, as far as those people who don't read or ask their surgeon's office for instructions on post-op eating, there's just no excuse.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views