Surgery on Tuesday...scared...i have a stupid question

bigmama3
on 9/1/11 11:28 pm

my surgery date is exactly 51 weeks from my first surgeon's appointment--yes, it took over 6 months to get approval.  i am very scared now..actually petrified.

i have a stupid question.  The surgeon and others on the board state that room temperature liquids go down better then cold beverages.  This is my question...is this because it hurts when you drink cold beverages?

just want to be prepared.  scared of how my stomach will feel.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

acbbrown
on 9/1/11 11:31 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Honestly, I can't really feel anything in regards to my stomach (Except the acid...)

I never had a problem with hot fluids (broth), room temp, or cold. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

carabarnes
on 9/1/11 11:47 pm
I never had issues with hot or cold effecting my stomache either.

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

VickyBT
on 9/2/11 12:05 am - MI
Don't be scared.
Its rough going through surgery of any kind but you will be ok.
I'm just 3 days post op but the first thing they give you is ice chips.
I noticed if I took a few , chewed and swallowed that my stomach got
crampy...so I started to take one chip at a time, allowed it to melt
then warm in my mouth before swallow with no adverse effects.
I would say for alot of people ice cold is not good at first and to make
sure to do TINY sips.  Don't be afraid to swallow, just take it slowly.
Your new stomach has to heal so baby it for awhile.
Also docs will give you meds for relaxing your esophagus,
preventing neausea etc.  Don't worry.
They will take good care of you.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Kim_M
on 9/2/11 12:07 am - LaPorte, TX
I went straight to ice chips.Then popcisles.I think the cold helped the swelling,I had really no problem with fluids except I like the g2 gatorade thought it went down bettter than water.Now I use the powerade zero  to help limit drinking my cal. but intial I needed the little sugar g2 offred.Swelling ice helps all external so i figured cold help internal.Just a thought

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
BriarRose
on 9/2/11 12:38 am
Funny, my tummy liked warm at first -- tea, broth...or cold. Not room temp. Then a few days later, more room temp worked best...it's not that it hurts, because it didn't -- it is just what seems to "feel better" on your tummy and throat. By the end of week 1, it was just varying temps according to what I was drinking at the time -- a cold popsicle, hot soup, whatever....
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
jennifer K.
on 9/2/11 12:41 am - OH
You will just have to test the waters - for some people it is cold that is best, others is hot. For me hot was good at first and then cold. Now if I want to drink a lot of fluids I drink room temp because it goes down faster. Don't fret we all had the freak out moment right before surgery - you will do great and the OH boards are here to support you along the way - no question is ever stupid! Good luck!
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

DragonGirl
on 9/2/11 1:00 am - MN
Go get some SF popsicles and have them available. Honestly with one sip...you'll know what will work for you. Warm soothes, but I loved the popsicles if I melted them in my mouth...it was more of a trickle effect than a swallow. As the previous poster said, I also think it helped with swelling.
Some of my favorites were:
Warm Broth (Chicken, beef, and vegetable)
Peppermint Tea
Propel (Not as sweet as some, really worked well)
warmish water with lemon.

Plain water never worked for me in the early stages, it hit my stomache like a fist. Someone told me too add a tiny bit of lemon or lime or even a bit of Crystal Lite to break the surface tension of the water and this helped a lot.

If you don't have Gas-X strips...go get some! They were amazing for calming my stomach.

The bottom line is you're going to do great! Remind yourself of why you're doing this and what a great gift this is to yourself. The first few days are a little rough...I just sat in my recliner and watched movies and got up for short walks. By the third day out, we went to Walmart and walked, the next day we went to the Mall and drooled over the cute puppies and walked some more.

Congratulations, relax and go into your surgery with a peaceful mind and a good attitude...it helps!!

With warm regards, Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Jasonm11
on 9/2/11 1:17 am
All the temperature related issues I had went away within a few weeks. Hotter liquids at first soothed my stomach more whereas cold made it a little queasy....now I am good any way it is except room temp on water....that now makes me feel icky...

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
CoolBeans
on 9/2/11 6:03 am - MD
 I have heard it can be different for everyone. Some do better with luke warm, some better with warm and others with cold. I think it is a trial and error thing. 

It is scary, and it is not easy, but it is exciting, too. Congrats on getting your approval! 
 Cari    
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views