Running after surgery

TexasLawyer
on 11/14/11 5:14 am
I have been a runner (jogger is probably a better term) for a while and regularly completed half-marathons before my surgery.  Before my surgery (June 20th),  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to adequately fuel and hydrate to complete long runs.  I am happy to report that I completed my first post-surgery half-marathon yesterday and felt great.  So... to anyone considering the surgery or considering doing a long race for the first time - go for it!  Even without any carb loading or extra calories the day before or day of the race, I had plenty of energy.

acbbrown
on 11/14/11 5:32 am - Granada Hills, CA
Can I ask what your hydration/nutrition plan was for the half? I'm struggling a little in that area - after some of my long workouts/runs, I'm smelling like ammonia from presumably a lack of carbs. Ive been too nervous to try any gels or things. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

TexasLawyer
on 11/28/11 3:14 am
 Sorry for the delayed response.  I aim for around 100 oz of water on days I am running (vs. 60 oz regular day goal).  I have found that at that level, I don't have to push a ton of water during my long runs and risk feeling sick.  During the runs, I just double up on water at the water stations, which are typically every mile or mile and a half - two of those dixie cups.  I use Gu (any of the fruit flavors) - one 15 minutes before the run and one every 45 minutes.  I don't tolerate the Cytomax very well but it is getting better.  That is the electrolyte drink that is served at most races around here.  Hope that helps!

Jenny C.
on 11/14/11 8:33 am
I'm totally interested in nutrition/hydration for more extreme exertion.  I went on a 50-mile bike ride yesterday, with almost 3000 feet of elevation gain.  I drank about 48 oz of water during the ride, then a bunch in the evening as well.  For food,  I had a Premier protein shake in the morning, a cliff bar about 2 hours in, then about two-thirds of a half of a jimmy johns turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch.  I wasn't hungry during or after the ride (ate a normal dinner), but I was sure wiped out all evening and I was up 2 pounds this morning.  I feel like I maybe coulda treated my body better...if only I'd known what, exactly, that meant.

TexasLawyer
on 11/28/11 3:17 am
I ate Cliff bars before the surgery but have been nervous to try them after - did you eat the whole thing?  I lost 7 lbs during the race - I am not sure how that is possible but none of it came back even after hydration.  I think I must have just pushed through a plateau.  Good luck with your bike rides!

runfatgirlrun
on 11/14/11 9:41 am
I also am an avid runner and have run several half marathons.  I just finished my last one a few weeks ago.  My goal after surgery is to train and run a full marathon as I get more weight off.  All this anti-carb rhetoric everyone rants about here is stunning.  All everyone talks about is protein, protein and protein.  There is no way to sustain yourself on long runs with that diet.  You need some carbs to build up glycogen stores in your liver.  I know that I will have to experiment a bit to get to the right mix but it can't be living only on protein.  I agree that you don't need to carb load but you need some carbs while running.  I can Gatorade or Gel it while I run and that may work. I know that I will cramp up without some carbs running. Everyone is different and who knows after surgery I may be different in how my body reacts to long runs.

TexasLawyer
on 11/28/11 3:22 am
Yay - another runner!  Your screen name made me laugh and think how I often described my running self as a chubby gazelle.  :)  You will be surprised with how much your body will do without a lot of carbs - it has been a strange realization for me.  There is no more bread, pasta, pancakes, tortillas, etc.  Carbs are now veggies and fruits.  And strangely - it is just fine even when combined with running.  Gatorade and gels will work.  If you cramp easily, you may have to do the salt packs (ackkkkk - that is so hard for me to get down but I can do it to avoid cramps!).  Good luck to you on your surgery - I wish you the best of luck.  It has been a real life changer for me - I feel much more confident running (even though my time is about the same) and my feet/hips/legs are much less achy after long runs.

Crunchy As Can Be
on 11/14/11 9:04 pm - NY
A half marathon is my ultimate goal. I've done one official 5K and have been running/joggin/walking a 5k's worth of distance ever since with every gym workout I do. On Thanksgiving morning I'm signed up for a 5-mile run/jog/walk Turkey Trot race to benefit research for childhood cancer. I'd like to sign up for a 10K come the spring and increase from there until I can do a 20K/half marathon.

I also haven't done any kind of carb loading pre-running, but I haven't done any long distance running either. I do drink an extra protein shake right when I'm done running, but other than water, I haven't done anything differently.
 ~~Emily~~

TexasLawyer
on 11/28/11 3:23 am
 Good for you!  How was your Thanksgiving Day run?

Crunchy As Can Be
on 12/10/11 10:30 pm - NY
Sorry for the late reply-- I just saw this when I was clearing out my email inbox! The Thanksgiving race was great. Freezing cold, but good company with my work friend and her daughters, and I was pleased and surprised by my progress from September! I jogged almost the whole 5 miles and had a time of 1:07:41, 7 minutes faster than I'd wished for and that's *with* three walk breaks.

Woohoo!
 ~~Emily~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views