Working out and gaining weight !

pharmagirl
on 1/3/12 12:12 am
 Hi - Anyone else gain weight when they started working out?  Granted, I am only a week into heavy working out...  But as of today I am 3 lbs up.  I get that muscle weighs more than fat, but I can't imagine I would be gaining muscle that quickly.  

HogRider
on 1/3/12 12:15 am - Jacksonville, FL
More than likely you are retaining water which the muscles use to repair themselves. It will go back down as you work out.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/12 12:18 am
Assuming that you aren't making a substantial change in your diet, that is totally normal.  When I lay off the bike for a week, I loose 3-5 lbs...when I get back on for a few days I gain 3-5 lbs.  A scale that measures body fat % will generally show you gained in both water weight % and lean body mass while showing reduction in BF%
acbbrown
on 1/3/12 12:25 am - Granada Hills, CA
You probably couldn't really be gaining muscle mass at this point, so it's water.

Welcome to the story of my life lol. The previous poster nailed it - your muscles will retain extra water to help with the healing process. My heavy workouts will cause the scale to show an increase as well. If i sit around for a few days, I usually see a big drop on the scale.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/12 12:40 am
MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT!!!!!!!

1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat, 1lb of beans, 1lb of bacon.  muscle is more dense and takes up less space so when muscle and fat are viewed side by side it does appear that more fat is needed to make a pound.  it would be like comparing a lb metal to a lb of cotton.  The good news is that muscle at rest burns more calories and since it is more compact as we change our bodies and transform the fat to muscle we will be smaller. 

currently your muscle fibers are being torn and need more fluid (nutrients from our diet) to repair the muslces and make us stronger.  continue the weight lifting but don't forget the cardio.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/12 2:26 am, edited 1/3/12 2:27 am
While it is true that exercise can tear muscle tissue at the micro fiber levels, this isn't needed to build muscle.  Muscle mass will increase without excessive strenuous exercise as long as sufficient stimulus is applied through combinations of weight used and repetitions. 

It is not correct to say fat is transformed to muscle.  With strength training there is no increase in the number of cells (at least not significantly) and as we loose BF% we do not loose those cells either.  Strength training increases muscle cell size and fat reduction reduces the size of fat cells.  (However, it is possible to add fat cells if the body runs out of storage capabilities.)  Without lipo, it is harder to reduce total BF% to athletic ranges simply because of residual fat cells that are shrunk up but still present.

This is one of the reasons BMI can be a poor indicator of proper weight.  BMI doesn't take into consideration folks with higher muscle mass than average.  It is a mathematical formula for the average of the masses.

Too many people misinterpret the scale if they only see the +- of LBS.  The total picture requires use of a good body composition scale.  This usually help explain "stalls" too.  These scales can help understand changes that can occur from dietary changes, hormonal changes and other things that can occur.  The trick it to look at them as trend and not concentrate on daily fluctuations. 
califsleevin
on 1/3/12 10:19 am - CA
http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

The attached article gives a good explanation of what happens in a stall, and what you are likely experiencing now. With your increased activity, you are likely burning through your glycogen reserves more quickly, much as what happened around the dreaded three week stall. Since the glycogen is in solution with water, when it's depleted and the stores need to be replenished, you start holding on to water to rebuild that solution. So, you may not have actually built any significant muscle yet, but you are on your way (or at least in preserving what you have.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

cpbkmb06
on 1/3/12 10:41 am
VSG on 02/02/12
1 lb. is 1 lb. It doesn't matter what it is. 1 lb. of bricks weighs the same as 1 lb. of feathers :) You could be retaining water. I was told once that weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs at different times of the day even. I would just be sure you are on track with your diet  and go from there.. Good luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 326 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 371 views