Liquids and Sipping

Jamie_45
on 1/16/12 4:45 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I hope this is not a stupid question, but it seems like it should be harder.  I'm just starting my 2nd week of post-op liquids.  I find I can drink almost everything excep****er in an almost normal fashion.  Water I still have to sip, but even that is getting easier.  I know I has an abnormally easy recovery, but this seems odd to me.  I just finished my 6oz of LF soup w/protein added in 25 minutes and I was a little worried.  It seems if my mind is on something else I just drink it like I use to.  Is this a problem I need to address?

ruggie
on 1/16/12 4:50 am - Sacramento, CA
I don't think so.  We want fluids to quickly travel through the stomach (to stay easily hydrated).  Sounds like you're doing great.  Congrats.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

kwiegs3856
on 1/16/12 5:55 am - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
I've not had any problems drinking either, only once I forgot and  took a gulp and that gave me a uncomfortable feeling.  Guess we need to wait till were on solids to find out just how much restriction we have.

trayb17
on 1/16/12 5:50 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I am now able to drink normally as well. I just had my first post op visit and I asked about this and was told pretty much what Ruggie posted and also as swelling decreases fluids for some pose no problems.
VeronicaJ5
on 1/16/12 5:53 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
Cold can sometimes move slower early out, it did for me, still does the hot liquids like coffee and soup get to the bottom quick
Florida_Pam
on 1/16/12 5:55 am
VSG on 01/04/12
 I'm on week 2 of liquids too with really no problems regarding drinking, I'm drinking pretty normal.  The dr's office also told me at my one week post-op appt that the roughly 6 ounce meals we're "eating" or rather drinking should only be taking 15-20 minutes to finish. So you sound right in line. 

HW: 335.6,  SW: 328.2,  CW: 287.8
doggz109
on 1/16/12 5:56 am, edited 1/16/12 5:57 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Ya know its strange.  I am 5 days out now and still getting used to the way fluids feel now.

I can drink a Premier Protein shake (11oz, 30g protein) in about 45 mins today.  It took 2 1/2 hours my first day home.  Big improvement.

Water and Crystal Light don't go down as well.  I still need to really really sip them or my sleeve seems to get irritated.  Took me all day to finally get down another 48 oz of fluid yesterday.

Today I tried warm herbal tea in the morning and that went down MUCH easier....so its either the temp of the liquid or what it is.  Which kinda doesn't make sense....since I can eat a SF popsicle no problem and my protein shake is cold too.  I dunno. 

Good luck....but I don't think it is a problem long term.

EDIT:  I was gonna add that I have heard tha****er and some drinks have an "off" PH that can irritate our sleeves sometimes.  Too much of a base or something like that.  Do a search! That could be your issue with water.

trayb17
on 1/16/12 6:00 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Dogzz109, popsicles and tea were always the easiest to go down at first for me. Funny thing I found was if I mixed half crystal light and half water it went down easier as well.
Chalk
on 1/16/12 6:44 am - TN
VSG on 01/09/12

I find that hot or room temp liquids go down better. I've been drinking lots of decaf hot tea. I liked tea before but really like it now. Went to the store and bought chai, peppermint, orange spice, chocolate hazelnut (really good).

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

VeronicaJ5
on 1/16/12 6:47 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
Ice cold water on an empty stomach used to bother me before surgery I dunno if that has anything to do with it
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views