NEED HELP DESPERATELY

scentsygerl
on 2/8/12 12:06 pm - TX
I am almost 7 mos out from my VSG and I'm in desperate need of help. I have started down the path of mass destruction. I am doing all the things that I know I'm not supposed to do... like eating chocolate candies, cupcakes, fast foods, breads, and worse than all that... sodas. I know I'm not supposed to be doing these things and I tell myself that all the time but I don't know how to get myself to stop. I don't want to gain back the 100 lbs that I have lost and I know that is where I am heading. I still have about 75 more lbs to go to get to my goal and I don't want to start climbing the scale now. I have now been stuck at 229 for about a month and half and I know why... but how do I make myself stop????

acbbrown
on 2/8/12 12:17 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Why is that you are eating those things? Are you having cravings, are they just foods that are being kept around your environment, are you eating out a lot? Are you eating in response to emotional situations? What changed to make you start eating all of that?

I'm a big believer in having a plan. And sometimes that involves making some changes. If the stuff is in your house, get it out. If it's in your desk at work, get it out. If you dont buy it, you can't eat it. I have to deal with junk food at work thats not mine and its really hard to resist, but if i avoid that part of the office, I usually do ok. 

If you plan out your meals, maybe you'll be less tempted to eat on the go for things like fast food and what not. Keep water bottles around to drink rather than soda - i drink a lot of propel, powerade zero, and diet snapple which takes away the need and/or desire for soda.

Ultimately, you are going to have to decide that there is something else out there that you want more than food otherwise you may not get the will power to stop. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Britt_Bearpaw
on 2/8/12 12:21 pm, edited 2/8/12 12:22 pm
sorry you are having such a hard time right now hun. I am preop op myself, but I too have a bad relationship with food. What gets me through is-really visualizing what I want in life, picturing myself at goal weight...thinking about how lost my girls would be if I keep destroying myself and they, God forbid, lost me. They say alot here, to go back to basics. Protein first, then a veggie, then a maybe a fruit. Eliminate all carbs, and drink as much water, hot tea that you need to keep you feeling full. Hot tea has been my savior on this preop diet. That, and coffee w/splenda. Therapy is also a good tool, it helps clear your head and heart....I wish you well on your journey.
klg1981
on 2/8/12 12:27 pm - Bartlett, IL
I know exactly how you feel! I am 4 months out and a couple weeks ago I 'fell off the wagon' myself. I posted on here as a way to reach out for help and it worked. I knew exactly what I was doing wrong but just didn't know how to stop myself. I am back on track now and what helped me was just getting back to basics. First I started logging EVERYTHING I ate in My Fitness Pal. Second I washed the cupcakes and birthday cake I had down the garbage disposal and I have to admit it hurt a little! Then I just concentrated on protein and liquids I basically cut out all carbs unless they were in something like my yogurt. No bread no rice no pasta no potato! A week of this and my scale showed it I was down 3.5 lbs!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! You just need to buckle down and keep your eye on the prize! Good luck!!!!!!

PaulaToronto
on 2/8/12 12:43 pm - Toronto, Canada
It sounds like you have lost faith in your ability to do this.  Whether you think you can't do this or whether you think you can do this, you will be right. This is within your control. 

Maybe take some time and journal about why you are sabotaging yourself.

Add protein drinks back into your food plan and weigh and measure everything and write things down.  You know this and there is no magic in this other than to give you a sense of control over things.

You probably need to remember and feel your success so far.  You have been successful and can be again if you start being positive towards yourself.  What would you say to your best friend if this was happening to them.  Are you loving yourself or are you berating yourself for being human. Let go of what has happened and make a positive plan.  Look at what hasn't been working in your life that got you turning to junk food again.

Your tool is still there and will work for you if you let it.  Good luck.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Anne D.
on 2/8/12 12:45 pm
You can do it, you can find the strength in yourself. You have to detox from carbs to get under control. Very low carbs, lots of protein and water, and get outside and walk and breathe some fresh air. We r here for you, don't give up it's just a small bump in the road!

smbergie200
on 2/8/12 1:06 pm - Naples, FL
You first need to analyze why your are eating poorly. Is it stress, boredom, or screw it I will eat right tomorrow? I don't have to remind you that this thinking is what got us obese. Remember food can be pleasurable, but food is not to be used for just pleasure. Everyone has a strategy in the long term. Being 7 months out you are an expert on what and what not to put in your mouth. Is it possible that moderation could be a solution. Maybe one junk food item once weekly (1 meal not whole day blown) and maybe a little square of dark chocolate nightly to satisfy the sweet tooth. Breads could be replace with a piece of whole grain toast with cream cheese of even a dab of butter if you want to feel naughty or better yet some almond butter. Yummy. You probably need to go on a quick carb fast to break the carb addiction spiral you are in. You know the rule protein first carbs last.

I think its easy to get comfortable with our old habits. It happens one poor choice at a time. You know if you keep this behavior up you will undo all the wonderful progress you have accomplished. You know what to do. Good luck getting back on track. You can do this.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Kels B.
on 2/8/12 1:08 pm
VSG on 02/01/12
If you really cant figure out why you are doing this to yourself, knowing the consequences, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to speak to a therapist/psychologist. I was told that sodas can stretch our sleeves in the long run. Just knowing that freaks me out. Your body is your vehicle to navigate this world. You clearly made the decision to get vsg because your health was suffering. So get back in the mind frame you were in when you were seeking surgery- all the preop appointments, bloodwork, ekg, dieting/liquids, etc. You were motivated enough to get it done, so get'er done! We can all slip up, but don't let it be a habit. Get back on track so you can get to your ideal, healthy weight.

Wish you the best!
 Kels B
HW: 320   ConsultW: 311    SW:268 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Georgie Mayhem
on 2/8/12 1:21 pm - New Zealand
protein and fibre, this you know, these will kill the carb cravings

Pooch2
on 2/8/12 4:36 pm
Short and sweet, its going to take some effort but you have a tool, you never had before AND 100 lbs off your tummy, remember, you been doing this.   Somethings going on in the head and or emotionally and you slipped back to the numbing comfort of the CARBS cunning decietful influence, in short; the carbs are blinding your sanity.   You took the first step, posting here, that's what a winner does....Your going to get thru this!

I suggest only one commitment for now and for just 3 full days; 1) dump the carbs, just for three full days, heck eat fish for 3 meals a day if you have too but have little to no carbs, that's it for now!!

If you want to think about things while your at that one thing; then remember life 100 lbs ago, the other things folks have said above, meanwhile log your food, log your emotions (You don't have to fix them now, just log them) and consider getting back to basics after the 3 days; 600 to 700 calories, under 35ish carbs, 70-100 grams of protein, all your water, exercise, while your doing this one thing; dumping the carbs!!!

On the 4th day, then think about it all, decide what you want to do, maybe you will know, what happened, now that the carbs are out of your system and you have some sanity.   Decide if you want to make it to your goal.  If you do, pIck up some tools you might have dropped or a new tool like; exersie, support group, counciling etc. (post and ask for tool suggestions and) pick one and start on it and get back to basics while you let that effort do its job. 

Your going to have to come to a place where your willing again to give up those highly refined carbs, to get to your goal but don't worry about that for 3 full days, just rest in that one commitment  because you will not likely make any positive choices, under the influence of those carbs!   If you do it, let us know what comes up for you....YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU CAN!!!
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views