Sleeve size - is it a function of WL efficacy?

LeapVSGer
on 3/7/12 2:14 pm
VSG on 02/29/12
 I was told I had a 32 FB sleeve, however I have read others have 35 FB and other sizes? Does anyone know their sleeve size? Do you know why different surgeons use different sleeve sizes? Do you think the sleeve size yields different weight loss results? I was hoping you all could post sleeve size and results so far...

Sleeve Size: 32 FB
I'm almost 6 feet tall
SW: 308
CW: 295 (1 week post-op)
-13 lb

Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)

Louisianawench
on 3/7/12 3:20 pm - New Orleans, LA
VSG on 03/21/12
My surgery is March 21st Dr. said my bougie wil be a 40f
jimbovsg
on 3/7/12 3:35 pm
   Hmmm..... *can opener....can....click...twist....twist....twist* ....worms crawl out!  Lol! You will get many different opinions/answers here....cuz there are many different sizes out there...already sleeved ...no going back....ya gots what ya gots!  period!  
   The fact that this is NOT a "standardized" procedure....with different techniques used....the same size bougies Will result in variations in actual sleeve size....volumes.  So  a "tight" 40....may offer more restriction than a loose 32.  The same size instrument...does NOT guarantee the same size/volume sleeve. 
   For instance....my surgeon  (one of the most experienced and  skilled VSG surgeons there is)....uses a 32....BUT  he is skilled enough to  offer a bit of a custom fit for his patients....as i know several of his patients...and have eaten with them I know....I have a tighter sleeve than some of his other patients...I'm tall 6' 2"  so prob the same volume?  A "tighter" sleeve has helped me due to a slower ROF (rate of flow)  I eat slower than others...with the same size bougie/sleeve  He made mine a "tight" sleeve...cuz at approx 600lbs...he knew I would need more restriction!  He was right....I think this is why I am still very restricted at 2.5 years out...I have the same restriction  as when i was 4-5 months out.!  I feel it is one thing that has helped me shed 350lbs in less than 2 years!  ( I weigh about 232lbs now)  Other sleevers I eat with who had bigger bougie sizes can also eat faster  and sometimes more. 
    What does this all mean? Not sure...jury is still out.....on regain...retaining restriction...etc regarding this subject.  the most important thing is......What goes IN  your 32...or... 42 size sleeve! 
    Am I glad I have a tight sleeve with  great restriction still??  Damn right!  Can you be highly successful with a bigger size and less restriction??  Damn Right!  So bottom line is.....don't get caught up in the numbers.....ya got .....what ya got...work it like a pro....work it like a pro!   good luck! 

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/12 9:06 pm, edited 3/7/12 9:07 pm
 Great answer.  

I've replied to this question before and still say the same thing.  I asked for a less tight sleeve because from what I read here the problem foods are mostly sliders (chips, cookies, popcorn, ice cream) while healthy foods mostly aren't (meat, vegetables, fruit).  My opinion was that if I lose sight of what is important and go all in on the junk a tight sleeve won't save me.  OTOH having a little more room should mean being able to fit a bit more fruit and veg after hitting my protein requirements.

FWIW I was at a support meeting last week and there were 3 other post ops around the same time out from surgery as myself saying that it is painful for them to eat healthy foods, but easy to eat processed junk.  In other words Cheetos go down fine, but chicken breast hurts.  I'm eating tender chicken breast no problem and some veggies with it.  Of course I have no idea what their sleeve size is.

RockinMama
on 3/7/12 10:31 pm - Cordele, GA
VSG on 07/09/12
Hi...how big is yours?
  5'7 CW:  306 SW: 300        
jimbovsg
on 3/8/12 4:30 am
On March 8, 2012 at 6:31 AM Pacific Time, RockinMama wrote:
Hi...how big is yours?
Mine is pretty big!.....Oh wait!  What were you talking about?  Lol!  It is NOT the size....it is how you use it.....as can be said for other body part too! Lol!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/12 10:45 pm, edited 3/7/12 10:46 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
"Post Date: 2/28/12 9:00 am
 I love food I love to eat I look forward to my meals problem...,,food doesn't like me matter how little or how lot no matter the kind of food I always hate the way it makes me feel after eating stomach twists and turns take acid blocker helps some can feel every bite every swallow all the way down stomach do noisy it has been3.5 years of maintaining and has always felt this way so am I the only one I still love food I still eat but it is such a let down that I always feel bad after eating  "

The above is from a vet who has a 48 and she says she has had difficulty with food hurting from the beginning of her time sleeved.  I have a 32 and have never had no issues with food, vomiting, nausea, et cetera.

Sliders are ALWAYS easier to get down, whether you have troubles with dense foods or not, so that is less a function of the size of the stomach and more just a function of whether the person is having a hard time with dense foods.  Kind of like will you lose a shoe size, will you hiccup, have the nose runs, lose a lot of hair, get nauseous, all just the luck of the draw more than size of stomach.
LeapVSGer
on 3/8/12 10:56 am
VSG on 02/29/12
 Lol! Your point on "standardization" helps me understand your point(s) as I was under the impression that the procedure is a more "standardized" process...therefore the size variable would yield different results - ceteris paribus ;) 
Your success with the sleeve is amazing - very inspiring! Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)

Krazydoglady
on 3/7/12 8:38 pm, edited 3/7/12 8:40 pm - FL
A recent published statement by bariatric experts suggests that a 32F to a 36F is the optimal size for a sleeve, oversewn.  Whether or not the sleeve is 'tight' and has extra capacity also depends on where they start -- how far away from the pylorus. 

I have a 36F, 5'2", my 'dense' capacity is 2-2.25oz.  I can eat about 4oz of cottage cheese. I'm down 161lbs, 129 postop. Size 30 to size 4.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

LeapVSGer
on 3/8/12 10:49 am
VSG on 02/29/12
 Krazydoglady- thanks for the great info! Also, many congrats on your success!! Your stats are Awsome!