A Boy and His Bike

rhearob
on 6/2/12 12:09 pm - TN
 So today, for the first time since I was like 13 I rode a bicycle.  Its true, you never do forget.  

If you've read my previous fitness posts you know I really can't stand working out in a gym.  I have en elliptical and an exercise bike.  I'd much rather be outside though.  I decided to buy an actual bicycle and ride that outside on my cross training days.  I thought maybe I'd use that when I go to the grocery store instead of walking.

I still plan to.  I was just so surprised how much harder an actual bicycle is than a stationary bike - even with the weight loss programs and the tension turned up!  Good lord what a work out.  I live in a fairly hilly area of Middle Tennessee and some of  the same hills that kicked my butt starting my running program are kicking it here.

This is gonna be fun!

So have any of you found real bicycles much harder than gym equipment?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

louisamay
on 6/2/12 12:23 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Oh good lord yes.  The first time I rode my bike two miles as an adult I didn't think I could complete it.  It was HARD.  And I'd never used hand brakes before, so that was driving me crazy, too.  I kept wanting to pedal backward to stop!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

HEATHER H.
on 6/2/12 12:23 pm - SC
VSG on 08/07/12
 Good for you, man! I guess it only proves that working against your own "gravitational resistance" (Ie, peddling your own a$$) is always more difficult that equipment! I cannot WAIT until I drop enough weight to try to run again. There's something so cathartic and rhythmic about it. I haven't been able to run for 20 years. I live in Charleston SC, 5 miles from the beach and will probably cry like a baby the day I can run a mile in the sand. Your victory is being on that bike, with the sun and wind on your face. Enjoy getting your a$$ kicked. You rock 
rhearob
on 6/2/12 12:26 pm - TN
 I always hated running before.  I love it now!  I just completed week 6 of an 8 week couch to 5 k program.  I crave the running days.  I think the bike days will be the same now.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

tripmom02
on 6/2/12 1:18 pm - NJ
Good for you! I bought a really nice road bike about a month ago, and I mean really nice, still have not been on it. I am completely and totally intimidated by it. So many buttons and things to remember, not to mention I have not been on one since I was 10 (and that was just a little BMX, this bike is huge, light and FAST). 

I really need to get over it, but I keep coming up with excuses.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

moonglo82
on 6/2/12 1:23 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I'm a bit jealous... I was just telling hubby the other day that I want a bike! I think he thought I meant a motorcycle, which would be fun too (once I learn to drive one), but I miss my biking days and what they did for my legs!

Enjoy, friend And middle Tennessee is such a pretty area! My husband wants to move back to Tennessee some day... we'll see!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Shagdoll
on 6/2/12 4:10 pm
Real bikes are harder to ride but when you can coast on them during some point, it definitely eases the tension a bit. I love to ride my bike though. It's not some high tech cool bike but it's a cool girly beach cruiser that I put multi speeds on. It's a lot more fun to be 100 pounds lighter when I ride I now!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

moxiecowgirl
on 6/3/12 1:28 am - Blue Springs, MO
RNY on 01/14/13
Addictive, isn't it?  I can't wait to be light enough to comfortably ride again! 

I don't care for working out in a gym, either.  I'd much rather be out in the open.  I promise you, it does get to feeling easier, and pretty quickly, too.  By then, you'll be having so much fun, you won't even notice, and you're so going to love going past those hills and saying "I made you my b*tch, hills...not once, but TWICE!"

Starting weight: 335  Surgery day weight: 304.6  Current weight: 229.6  Goal weight: 145 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views