Should I give up?

4evercaligrl
on 6/8/12 1:59 am
 I have posted here a couple times.  I am a band to sleeve revision a little over 2 months out.  I had the revision because I stopped losing weight when I was still 30 pounds to goal and was doing all the right things.  I thought this revision would be the answer and get me to where I wanted to go.  I have worked so hard, and I am so diligent about everything I eat.  But, I had this surgery and still cannot lose the weight.  Everyday I write down exactly what I'm eating.  It is usually between 6-700 and mostly all protein with some veggies and the occasional fruit.  People said to increase my calories which I did- to 1000, and I gained a couple pounds.  Everything that seems to work for everyone else just does not work for me.  I don't understand how I can eat so little and gain or not lose.  I don't know what else to do anymore. I am on my feet all day and by the time I get home, I can't move so at this point I cannot add more activity to my diet.   If anyone else has been there, please help.  I just want to give up.

emelar
on 6/8/12 2:03 am - TX
I'd stay at 1000 calories a day for a few weeks and see what happens.  People often have a weight gain right after they up calories, particularly if you've been doing extreme low calorie for a long time.  But your body will adjust and the pounds will come off.
MyOwnSunshine
on 6/8/12 4:01 am
*Agreed.*

Also, you may want to increase your exercise intensity and bump your calories up to 1200.  I have found that you can actively increase your metabolism with a combination of increased calories, cardio and weights, but it doesn't happen over night.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
loverofcats
on 6/8/12 2:29 am
Exercise would also help to give a boost to your metabolism.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Lina P.
on 6/8/12 2:48 am - Bolton, Canada
How are your labs looking? If you haven't done them in a while, you might wanna get some bloodwork done.
Your thyroid may not be producing enough hormones or could be weakened by other medications you may be taking.
Height: 5 ft - Age: 42
Bougie size: 36 oversewn to 34  
 CW: 135 lbs
Happy in the 130's but... On to my second goal!

AmberK
on 6/8/12 3:02 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 I don't have any advice, but DO NOT GIVE UP! You have to keep going and figure out what your body needs you to do to help it loose weight. Someone out there is having the same issues as you and maybe you can figure it out and help someone else out as well. You HAVE to keep going, you will get it right! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

abrown8434
on 6/8/12 3:14 am - VA
Please don't give up! I have only had the sleeve so I cannot talk about revision and its difficulty. However, I will say, that I struggled for the past month with a couple of lbs of regain and then stagnation. It seemed I ate so little and worked out so much and still could not lose. I increased my workouts, ate more calories and less calories and still nothing UNTIL . . .

. . . the past few days when I finally got back on board. The main importance in success is monitoring your carbs (especially once you are past the first six months). When I went back to lean protein, cut out the junk and kept my carbs 50 grams or lower, the weight started flying off. I have also taken up swimming and swim laps in addition to my normal workouts. This helps me release the water that I retained (carbs really help you to retain more water) and that was the key to my success--lower sodium and carbs and lean proteins.

I pray for your success and continued losses. :o)

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

lanunes
on 6/8/12 3:19 am - CA
I think what the previous poster said is key! When I eat dense proteins and limit my carbs to under 40 grams/day the weight comes off. You may be eating too many carbs, it's easy to do. Also, working out just a bit will help too. I am on my feet literally all day for my job and know that I need to workout afterwards which sucks most of the time. But it will pay off in the long run. Good luck!
      Leslie Nunes              
happiegirl
on 6/8/12 3:21 am, edited 6/8/12 3:31 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
I agree with having your labs checked...I'd say go see and endocrinologist.  What about carb cycling?  This can be effective I think but I'm too afraid to try.  Have you seen that show the exstream makeover weight loss addition?  That's what they do carb cycling.  Also, have you had any weight loss since the sleeve?  The last 20 pounds are hard to lose according to this board.  Are you at a normal BMI? 

Oh yes and one more question have you had your body fat percent checked?  Maybe your already in the normal range??

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

4evercaligrl
on 6/8/12 3:45 am
 Thanks for all the replies.
I dont know why my ticker wont show up, but I am 5'5 and weigh 170 now and started at 262.  So, I am definitely not at the normal range yet.  With the band I got down to 162- finally hit my 100 mark.  Then I had a complication with the band and my weight starting shooting up- Got to 186.  When I found out I needed to do the revision and went on the preop liquid I lost about 8 pounds.  Then I lost 11 pounds after first having the sleeve because I had a stricture and was on liquids only for another 2.5-3 weeks.  At that point I had gotten down to 167.  As soon as the stricture go better and I started getting in my lean proteins and doing everything right, I started gaining and have been up and down 3-4 pounds but cant get below 168.  My goal is 140 and I have been working so hard and so long to get there.  Every day I go on the scale and I want to cry because I feel so hungry all the time but never let myself eat.  I never have cheat days.  I dont know what else I could possibly do.  I tried increasing my calories and tried decreasing too.  Nothing works. The whole "calories in, calories out" theory stinks. It just cant be true.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views