Don't realize how un-healthy you look

RHCP
on 7/5/12 3:36 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
I find myself seeing morbidly obese people in such a different way now.... so UN-HEALTHY.

I feel bad for thinking this sometimes but also I never saw myself like that when I was heavy. When I first lost a good amt of weight post-surgery everyone was like "OH you look so good" etc. But than one of my friends when she saw me was like "OMG- you look so healthy!!!" And that's when I saw myself in such a different way especially when I look at old pictures of myself- I never saw myself as being UN-healthy and now I see how I might as well been screaming it from the rooftops!

And Am I the only one for thinking this.... I was NOT attractive at my heaviest and I understand completely why men were not attracted to me.

PoohHag
on 7/5/12 3:51 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 I see it too.  Went to the movies yesterday and saw lots of 300 pound people carrying the large buckets of popcorn while I sipped my water.  I wonder if they realize how pathetic and desperate they look?  I know I didn't know, and I didn't care either.

I feel sorry for them now.  I feel sorry for the denial I was in for so long.  No wonder people judged me.  I looked ridiculous.

There really has been a change in my brain even if that's not what the surgeon operated on......

sutherngrl94
on 7/5/12 3:58 am - Raleigh, NC
I do the same thing!!!  I don't look at them and think they are unattractive but I do worry about their health.  When a guy friend of mine said I looked healthy I thought "wow, I must have looked terrible if a guy is noticing a difference in my appearance!" (no offense intended).

I also catch myself during the 'head hunger' times seeing people coming out of Burger King (my nemisis) who are overweight or obese and find myself thinking "ok, now I just don't want to eat anything".  I've lost about 50 pounds (12 prior to surgery) and I DON'T want to find it!

I feel horrible for thinking those things and I don't want to think them but I can't help it.  I know how you feel.  I just want to tell them about my sleeve and how great I feel!

Missey J.
on 7/5/12 4:24 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
I too was at the movies last night and saw someone bigger than me in line. She got popcorn, candy and a soda. Was thinking that used to be me....for once I just ordered water.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Crunchy As Can Be
on 7/5/12 4:56 am - NY
I remember when I was at my heaviest looking in the mirror and thinking to myself "Damn girl, you look good!"

I can't even fathom the strange kind of body dysmorphia I have/had. Now when I see myself, even though I'm not 100% pleased with the way I look, I still can appreciate how much healthier I look and feel and I know I've done a really good thing for myself.
 ~~Emily~~

Carmelita
on 7/5/12 5:21 am - Four Corners, NM

there but for the grace of VSG...........go I  
louisamay
on 7/5/12 5:36 am
VSG on 04/27/12
My main thought is usually that somebody needs to tell them about WLS!

I think we're like smokers who kick the habit and then become hyper-aware of those who still smoke!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views