HOW's ALCOHOL BEEN TREATIN YA??

funprecious
on 7/27/12 4:33 am - San Francisco, CA
 I'm noticing how alcohol has changed for me. Before the surgery I  drank on occasion and never at home. Now I find myself looking forward to those "occasions" more often and once i do begin drinking I can consume more because the affects wear off faster.   

Hows your relationship with alcohol now that your post op?? For those who do drink how are you handling it

Thanks in advance for your reply

Ps. It's been 2 yrs since I was sleeved

fat weight    
vogue
on 7/27/12 4:43 am
VSG on 08/30/12
why do you think the affects wear off faster?? Im assuming your havent read the infamous article that says patients of WLS are quicker to become alkies?
funprecious
on 7/27/12 5:03 am - San Francisco, CA
 No I have not thanks for the info...I still would like to know others experiences..

Thanks again ;)

fat weight    
acbbrown
on 7/27/12 4:53 am - Granada Hills, CA
 It burns my insides too much to enjoy it. I do like the quick buzz but I just can't drink it. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

USAF Wife
on 7/27/12 5:07 am
I admittedly liked booze way too much pre-VSG and post-VSG, I loved it just the same.

I've never related to food addiction, but give me booze and cigarettes and I'm all over those 2.

It took me a bit to build up a decent tolerance. I never drink at home, and I have a specific limit. I went on a bender around 16-18 months post-op, I was way below goal, we had been trying to conceive and had no luck, was heading to the fertility doctor, I had been so good for so many months, not drinking, eating right, getting healthy and still could not get pregnant. I was at my wit's end and overly emotional about not getting pregnant.

All the weekend drinking and indulging in party foods did was my pants too tight and give me a solid 5-7lbs gain. It didn't take much to get the weight off, a couple of weeks of no booze and getting back to my normal mainteannce caloric and protein intake, and I was back in my skinny size 2 jeans.

Lesson learned. I like alcohol too much before and after surgery. I know my own weakness, I know my own demons when it comes to booze, partying and well, it takes a lot of restraint. Not so much lately because I've literally been pregnant 17 months out of the last 19 months with back to back pregnancies, so it's really easy to NOT drink right now and while breastfeeding.

Way too easy to have transfer addiction, which I don't think it's transfer addiction for me personally. I just like boozing it up socially, and never used food to soothe or comfort me. Alcohol on the other hand, is the one thing I reach for when I'm overly stressed and need a break. I'm not bragging about it, it's just who I am. I recognized my problem long ago. Luckily, I also know when to say when, and walk away from it.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

funprecious
on 7/27/12 5:54 am - San Francisco, CA
 I quit smoking about 10 yrs ago and this almost reminds me of that..

Thanks  

fat weight    
ThinVoyage
on 7/27/12 5:17 am - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Here is the article that people mentioned

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/06/18/12244563-weight-l oss-surgery-linked-to-higher-risk-of-abusing-alcohol?lite

My advice - stay away from alcohol. 

Good luck.

HW - 390; SW - 308; CW - 215               
funprecious
on 7/27/12 5:49 am - San Francisco, CA
 Thanks for the link!!

fat weight    
louisamay
on 7/27/12 5:18 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Once again my experience seems to be different from most other people.  I drank about 6 ounces of wine and didn't feel anything from it, much.  That's not a lot, but I expected to feel more and faster, as most people seem to.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

SuzanneR
on 7/27/12 5:25 am - Randolph, NJ
Before surgery I loved my ****tails and couldn't wait to have some on Friday/Saturday nights. I waited 6 months to drink and I don't like it like I used to...I have no idea why other than my body is very different post surgery, of course.. I feel dopey and tired and immediately get a massive headache when i drink now.  I have had a drink a few times in the past month and each time I have a wave of nausea too. The next day I feel horrible and i am not talking about a binge I'm saying 1-2 drinks. So today for example I think it would be nice to go home and have some wine but i remembered how lousy I feel with booze and I'll just skip it.
Once, I felt drunk quickly but the rest of the time i just felt dopey and not buzzed...unhappy. I suppose that's a good thing! Don't need the empty calories or the transfer addiction.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views