Any post-op'ers willing to talk about skin?

Tia T.
on 8/1/12 7:32 pm
It's everyone's number one question: how is your skin? So will you share your experience, good or bad? I know that there is no "magic" preventative measure but could you kindly include age (or age range), amount lost and if you drank/are drinking the water amount that you should.
Thanks and look forward to replies.
                                Looking for my inner peace

LeahBea
on 8/1/12 8:49 pm, edited 8/1/12 8:49 pm
VSG on 05/31/11 with
 I think the question you're meaning to ask is, "am I going to have to shell out money for plastics?"

My answer to that question would be yes. I will need plastics if I ever want to look "normal" without clothing. That being said, I think I look pretty damn good with the clothing on and most people would never know I have a lot of extra skin.

I was 24 when I had surgery, now 25. I lost 200 lbs. I drink at a minimum of 70 oz of water/liquid a day and I religiously moisturize. My skin is slowly rebounding a tiny bit, but there will have to be plastics, no way around it.

Hope that helps.

Leah

Tia T.
on 8/2/12 2:54 am
Leah, I peaked at your pictures (love your profile goofy face) and what a transformation you have had! You were beautiful before and you look so comfortable to be you now. I would never think that you needed plastics from looking at them.
Congratulations on your loss!
USAF Wife
on 8/1/12 9:17 pm
Not that it matters when it comes to skin, but I am 35 (3 years post-VSG), total loss 140lbs, drank enough water to fill a small lake.

Moisturized enough to own stock in Lubiderm, Vaseline and Oil of Olay.

I have loose, wrinkly skin. No major flaps of skin. Boobs are a lost cause. Only thing being fat gave me was great boobs.

I'm 7 months into my 2nd post-VSG pregnancy, so my skin is horribly stretched back out again.

I'll be having a full tummy tuck sometime next year. Not  only because of "skin" per se, but because I'll have had 3 csections and while my stomach roll is back in full effect on the lower part of my abdomen, I know it would shrink back away once I'm done making babies and get back down to my maintenance weight.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Happy966
on 8/1/12 10:21 pm

I am down 123 pounds from my maximum weight pre-surgery.  I am a 52-yr-old post menopausal woman.I have another 10 pounds to "goal" and might get a little smaller than that, but who knows. 

Here's what I do know.  My experience doesn't mean too much about what your experience will be.  My tummy wont ever be flat, or look "normal", but as of today, it doesn't hang down, just more like a wrinkly deflated balloon.  My boobs and arms are shot, and upper thighs very wrinkly.  I get wistful seeing pictures of people post-op wearing sleeveless clothing.  ((Sigh))  Nevertheless, I'm almost positive I won't have plastic surgery, unless I develop serious problems with skin breakdown or skin hygiene.  Otherwise, I'm a major wimp and it's not like I looked great naked before I lost weight.  I mean, heck, I'm not giving up my granny panties!!

I think it all depends on your body and your expectations.  I am fine in my wrinkly skin.  I am happily partnered and quite satisfied to look nice in clothes.  I have to say, I'm having a very similar experience skin-wise to what I looked like when I lost weight in my 20s.  Wasn't sure how it would be, but the only real difference I've noticed is that the skin on my lower arms wrinkles too, if I hold them the right way.

I don't moisturize anything but my face and hands, except in the winter when I might beg strangers to put lotion on my back, if necessary (my back gets incredibly itchy in the winter).

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

happyteacher
on 8/1/12 10:33 pm
 I am 43, lost a little over 120 pounds, and have about 10 more to get to my goal bmi.  Skin issues were not an issue for the first 70 or so pounds lost at all for me, other than developing a bit of a turkey neck.  Something about going from 70-100 changed everything, and I completly deflated.  I have the stereotypical abdomen of a person who has lost a massive amoung of weight, particularly from the belly button to the bottom of the panis (spelling??).  My inner thighs also have noticeable droop, but bermuda shorts covers everything easily.  I have been terribly fortunate with the arms- no bat wings to speak of.  I never carried a lot of weight in the arms though, as I was always a belly girl.  My neck just plain bothers me because I really can't cover that up easily, and that will be the first to get plastics.  I am hoping to do plastics including a body lift and face lift and whatever it takes to deal with the neck thing.  Thing is, I am totally broke so no idea when that will happen.  Happily, I look good in clothes overall, so the skin issues from the shoulders down do not bother me too much, and the husband has no issues either- he is just relieved i am so much healthier!

Now he lost 90 pounds too.  He only has loose skin in the butt, sides of the belly, and some in the neck area.  His neck area does not have a turkey neck thing going on, I can just tell the difference.  People who didn't know him would not notice it.  He is my age.  

We are both careful to get the water in and I am super careful with nutrition.  I do not do the 800 calories or less thing, so my overall nutrition is rock solid.  I range 1000-1200.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

rhearob
on 8/1/12 10:44 pm - TN
 I'm 41 and lost 155 lbs.

I have tons of loose skin.  I tell people that I am wearing a leather body suit 10 sizes too large!

As others have said, I look good with clothes on, but not so much with them off.  I have sagging skin on my abdomen, back, inner thighs, chest, arms.  

I have plastics scheduled for October 1 (full LBL) and probably late December or January for the upper.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

newme_38
on 8/1/12 10:46 pm - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12
I am only about 6 weeks post op.  I am wondering what does the extra skin moisturizing do?  Does it help with the lose skin?  I have never heard of this before.

USAF Wife
on 8/1/12 10:58 pm
On August 2, 2012 at 5:46 AM Pacific Time, newme_38 wrote:
I am only about 6 weeks post op.  I am wondering what does the extra skin moisturizing do?  Does it help with the lose skin?  I have never heard of this before.

It doesn't do anything other than keep it soft.

Some swear that moisturizing, massaging the skin, helps with tonight/tightening.

Ultimately, time is skin's best friend.

But, it's been punished, stretched, and there's only so much time, and praying will do to help it rebound. There's not really anything that will help other than cutting it off via surgery.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

RHCP
on 8/1/12 10:54 pm - Poughkeepsie, NY
I am 38 down 106 from my heaviest. I get my fluids in most day's- slack on the weekends.

My Inner thighs are not to bad but def have saggy skin. Gym exercises for the thighs have helped immensely! Def noticed a huge change when I started that.

I lucked out with my neck have just a teeny bit of sagging. I do use a firming cream from AVON.

I have bat wings- not to bad but enough- I do not let it stop me from going sleeveless.

My stomach- is my biggest reminder of how fat I was- it's basically deflated. Of course much smaller than it was but still there. I was a size 24 now I fit into size 6/8's but my stomach is very saggy and unattractive. Don't get me started on the streach marks.

I think the wrinkly skin bothers me more than the saggy thighs or the bat wings. When I turn my arms certain way's and I can see the wrinkles that upsets me more than the bat wings. 

I want to lose another 27 lbs- and although I would get plastics in a second- reality is I will never be able to afford it. BUT I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat!

Most Active