How do you get rid of the extra skin?

mkiyoko2008
on 8/6/12 6:28 pm - TX
VSG on 10/03/12
I havent had surgery yet, I was just approved. I have a friend that had a bypass done and now she is left with a lot of skin. She was also a lot heavier than me, but I still expect the same problem. Does anyone have any tips on how to minimize or get rid of the skin. Weight lifting? Certain types of food? Special exercises?
carebear32958
on 8/6/12 7:20 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
I havent had my surgery yet, but from prowling around on here and talking to my friends that have had the surgery, the general consensus is exercise helps but you will still have it and it seems to do more with your genetics, its a person to person thing and no real "secret" fix it solution.  Believe me I wish there was, I ain't lookin forward to having the softballs in tube socks for boobs like most of my lady friends who have had the surgery! LOL, if you get any suggestions I would LOVE to hear em :) Good Luck
frisco
on 8/6/12 7:24 pm

Skin is about the most unforgiving part of this process......

Some come out unscathed....... most.... not so good......

Age, genetics, weight loss, how long you been ahhh...Fat.... all have something to do with how well you will fair......

No magic creams or rubs.....

Sure you can work out to fill out your skin some...... but most gym muscle mass is very temporary.....goes away when you stop..... and everybody stops a some point......

The reality is we should have been thinking about our skin when we were getting fat and stretching it out..... skin can only come back so much.......than it's like blown out elastic in stretched out undies....

Some here have amazing results from plastics.......

Sorry to be so brutally real....... but false hopes won't do you any good......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Pobearsam7
on 8/6/12 7:53 pm
I agree w/ the above and everyone's body is different

Kelly                

AnnieinIA
on 8/6/12 8:24 pm
In addition to what has been said here - genetics, good luck, etc, my surgeon said it is also driven somewhat by where you carry your fat, which makes sense.

He said if you carry your fat internally, around your organs, it is much more dangerous to your health but kinder to your skin. If your fat is in the layer right below your skin it has stretched it more - so the potential for more problems.

I have, basically, no fat around my organs which my PCP credits my great health to but it may take the toll on my skin.
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/12 9:30 pm
 Agree that it is a crapshoot.  OTOH exercise certainly can't hurt.  I thought my belly would be the worst, but so far that isn't any worse than most 40 something ladies that have had a baby.  Arms and legs are dreaful.  I'm fighting the flat sagging hiney at the gym.  Not going to be bootielicious but spinning class has helped a littled.
rhearob
on 8/6/12 11:28 pm, edited 8/6/12 11:28 pm - TN
 Plastic surgery once you reach goal.

Seriously, don't waste your time or money on creams, lotions, electronic devices.  Some muscle building and muscle toning can help the appearance, but it won't eliminate it.

How much extra skin you have is dependent on genetics, how long you have been overweight, and how heavy you have been.  YOu may have a lot of a little, but you will have some.  Its just a fact of life.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Anne D.
on 8/6/12 11:50 pm
Plastic surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/12 2:10 am
Another option for some are compression garments like Spanx. I have lose skin from my belly button down to my mid thigh region. I finally tried on a compression tee shirt and that really did the trick - sort of held everything in and in place. I liked it.
Now naked, I'll still have lose skin, but I wouldn't trade my lose skin for being fat again. No way!
mkiyoko2008
on 8/7/12 2:22 am - TX
VSG on 10/03/12
Thanks for all of the advice. It sounds like I will just have to wait and see what I look like and go from there. Thanks again!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views