How long is recovery?

mkiyoko2008
on 8/14/12 9:42 pm - TX
VSG on 10/03/12
I know what I have been told by my doctor. But, I want to hear feedback from actual folks that had the surgery. How long is recovery after VSG surgery? How much time off do I need from work?
acbbrown
on 8/14/12 9:48 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Depends on what exactly you mean by "recovery"

It took me about 3 weeks to feel human again and be completely pain free ( i had an accident though and fell about a week out and pulled some stitches)

Took me about 6 weeks to get my energy back and be able to resume my normal pre-op exercise routine. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

mkiyoko2008
on 8/14/12 9:54 pm - TX
VSG on 10/03/12
Wow! 3 weeks?? So, is it ignorant of me to think I could be back to work in a week?
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/12 10:04 pm
No, you are not ignorant.  But you have to keep in mind this is major surgery and your body has to recover.  You never know if there will be complications, slow recovery or just normal recovery.  This is not something that gets done and boom, you're all better and off to work.  I would be taking more time off than a week.  Jane
Pobearsam7
on 8/15/12 4:42 am
There has been ppl who have gone back after a week, I don't see how because I was in bed a lot the 1st week and I wanted to make sure I was mentally prepared for work... My doctor doesn't allow patients to go back to work less than a month of surgery regardless of the patients job..

Kelly                

Scohen1975
on 8/15/12 1:16 am - Sandy, UT
 I am 4 days out and doing great. I am going back to work after 9 days. I think it depends on who You are.  You need to take it easy, but walk! I have been getting walking in by doing errands and than resting some.
Pobearsam7
on 8/15/12 4:40 am
I took 5 1/2 wks and I needed it.. Everyone heals differently.

Kelly                

Airpun79
on 8/15/12 6:06 am, edited 8/14/12 11:06 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hey Mikiyoko!

As you probably know, everyones body is different and will therefore recover at different rates. I had surgery on a Friday and by Monday I was able to walk 2.5 miles a day and was able to go to work. I work in an office setting so this made it easier for me. However, I took the rest of that week off work to rest but I really didn't need it. For whatever I reason I've had this abundance of energy since then and I've been taking advantage of it and haven't looked back. Like many others will tell you, you just have to listen to your body. I've felt really good and I've lost 50lbs since beginning my pre-op diet on July 11th. I have no regrets except that I waited this long to move ahead with the procedure.

Best of luck to you! -Larry

HW: 360      SW: 351             CW: 212         GOAL: 200 
Monthly Weight Loss Progression:
M1:-46 M2:-24 M3:-14 M4:-17 M5:-9 M6:-13 M7:-7 M8:-5  M9:-1 M10:-3 M11:-8 M12: -10

fypcdqt
on 8/15/12 7:45 am - Cumming, GA
Like the others said - everyone is different.

I had a hard time coming out of anesthesia (I knew that was a risk due to family history).  I also had a hard time getting my energy back.  Everything drained me.  I wish I had the energy to walk 2.5 miles the week after surgery!!!

I originally took 2 weeks off, but ended up not going back part time until after 3, and it was a full month before I was full time again.  I work at a desk, but I couldn't drive while on pain killers, and I had to take pain killers to sleep because my abs were so sore. 

I finally felt human around week 5 and started getting "sassy" as my friends say by week 6.

My friend had surgery a week before me and she was back to work in less than a week, peppy as ever.

You just need to listen to your body and do what you need to do.  I always over plan and then if it turns out better than expected, I have some leeway.

Best of luck!
Amy

mkiyoko2008
on 8/15/12 8:29 am - TX
VSG on 10/03/12
Thank you all for the comments. It really helps to hear from folks that actually had the surgery. I feel like Im not prepared to take that much time off. I am so not prepared
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views