attention: runners (hydration issue during long runs)

goingforit1
on 8/16/12 8:28 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
So I signed up for my first race.  Just a short little ol' 5K but I am excited and it helps me stay motivated to exercise in a BIG way because I want to be proud of my time and performance on race day.  I am *training*  for a 10K though because I plan to do one of those very shortly after the 5K race.  I'm doing well but I'm having trouble in one area: hydration!

We lost our gym membership so I have no choice but to exercise out in the heat.  It's between 106-110 degrees even late at night when I run.  So far I push fluids as much as I can during the day...and then I drink a good 16 oz in the hour or two before going out to run.  I can't run very good carrying a water bottle but I feel like with the heat it is dangerous NOT to sip continually so I deal with it for the 3 ish miles I am doing at a time.  Is it ridiculous to buy one of those camel hydration packs for such a short run?  Do they feel uncomfortable or slow you down at all?

Also, when I start doing a longer distance (in the next 4 weeks I should be running 5+ miles at a time and it will still be hotter than blazes out there so I feel like the camel pack is going to be a must.  Any recommendations?  I don't need a large one because I just sip here and there and I only take in maybe 6-8 oz during the 3 miles.

Also when you actually running in a 10K, and they just have the little water stations here and there...I'm wondering how sleevers stay hydrated because we can't chug a whole cup really quickly.  At least I can't.  I can take in a couple ounces and then I'd have to be off.  is that enough?  Does anyone wear a hydration pack for the longer races or do they just rely on the water stations?  Any info or insight would be appreciated.  I've never been the "athletic" type but I am really excited about my fitness and want to learn from people who actually know what they are doing! 
MuttLover
on 8/16/12 8:38 am
VSG on 11/14/12
Not a runner, but if you are not running for "time' and the rules allow it, I'd recommend a Camelback hydration pack.  They have a "bite and sip" mechanism that allows you to suck up the first sip -- then the tube stays full, so you can take little sips as you go.

They also make a sports bottle with this feature -- it's about $20, so you can take small sips and not be sucking in air.

Good luck on your run and congrats on your progress!
acbbrown
on 8/16/12 9:04 am - Granada Hills, CA
I cant imagine running in that heat - yikes!

For my 3-5 mile runs, I usually just carry a 20oz bottle with me. I have two that I alternate depending on where I am running. My preferred method right now is a hydration belt w/a little small fanny pack type thing. Its pretty comfortable, I dont usually even feel it while I'm running, but it allows me to just grab my bottle and take a drink and put it back without disrupting my pace. The other bottle I have is a hand held on that has a hand strap that you tighten so it's like..you're holding it but you dont actually have to grip it so your hand/arm doesnt get tired.

I think a camelback would annoy me.

I've done 2 10ks - the first one - they had 2 aid stations at miles 2.5 and 5. I personally felt they should have had more - at least two other aid stations. The 2nd 10k - I know they had more water stations but cant recall quite how many. For that one I carried a water bottle with me, and between the 20oz and the 2-3 cups I drank, I was fine.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

vogue
on 8/16/12 9:09 am
VSG on 08/30/12
last weekend when I ran in heat... I froze 3 water bottles...SOLID froze... I left 2 in the car and carried one while I ran... it melted just enough to let me get a sip or 2 every quarter mile or so....and the cold "sweat" from the bottle I used to cool my neck & forehead off while running...

The camelback thing annoys me when I see others using it... its just not for me
synthangel
on 8/16/12 10:02 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 Back when I use to play tournament paintball (ahh the good ol days) a lot of people would wear the camel backs. I think you can get them from big 5 for pretty reasonable. Or probably off the net for even less.

I don't think its ridiculous to buy it for a short run because this is your health we are talking about. Getting your exercise in is great! But not at detriment to your hydration ;)

Also I would totally take it on the run with you. It is medically necessary because of your tiny stomach and I am sure it would be allowed. Good luck and good job on your kick ass work out plan :))
tripmom02
on 8/16/12 10:18 am - NJ
 In that kind of heat I don't think its a bad idea at all, when I do a short run (3 to 5 miles) I don't bother taking a drink with me, I just hydrate well before and after. When I do a long run, I keep a waterbottle in my car and just grab it when I run past it (the trail I do is 5 miles, so I have to go past my car once at the halfway point), chug it down and toss it in the recycle containers on the trail BUT I can chug on an empty stomach and I always run on an empty stomach. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views