Almost Normal BMI. . . Now What?

hrford
on 8/19/12 10:32 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Ok so in 5 lbs, I'll reach a normal BMI.  While I plan to continue losing to around 140 (maybe less we'll see), I'm starting to wonder about my diet.  Up until now I've kept my calories around 650-750, I have a higher carb than most because of heavy exercise keeping it around 60g.  I've had no issues losing, averaging 3-5 lbs a week.  

So here's the deal.  I don't have a hell of a lot of fat left (skin I have plenty of).  So up till now I've been comfortable with the low calories even though I exercise heavily.  For those that don't know, heavily means more than 1 hour a day for at least 5 days a week.  Now I'm not so comfortable with that.  At some point, I'm going to need to fuel my body as I really am expending more than I'm eating and I do not want to lose muscle.  I've worked very hard to keep what I have.

So now I need to transition this mindset I have.  Be ok with a slower loss if it means a healthier body.  My question is, how much do I go up, where do I get those calories from (carbs, fat, protein what?).  I wouldn't call myself an elite athlete but I am definitely an athlete.  I run 5 days a week, ride my horse 6 days a week, and now work at a stable and give riding lessons 3-5 days a week.  So the amount of calories being expended is quite substantial.  Is it just trial and error?  

I'm planning to talk to my NUT, but it'll probably be 6 weeks before I can get an appointment.  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

loverofcats
on 8/19/12 10:57 am, edited 8/19/12 4:00 am
How much protein are you getting now? Some people recommend increasing calories by 100 cal/wee****il you find your maintenance level. Others would recommend that you reach your goal, before increasing calories. Healthy ways to add more calories are healthy fats, such as a small amount of nuts, avocado, olive oil. Complex carb such as a little oatmeal or sweet potatoes are good for people that exercise a lot and want to maintain muscle mass. Body builders and runners include these items in their diets. Once you get to the point, where you really don't have much body fat, you do need to eat to fuel your body and your muscle mass. Running a calorie deficit defeats this purpose.

Start with one change, either increase protein, a little fat, or complex carbs, and see how it goes. If you are exercising that intensely, then protein may be the way to go,since serious exercise and physical stress increases the need for protein. Some sources recommend up .8 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Strive for a minimum of 100, if not more.

Also, check out the VSG Maintenance Board, located under Groups.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

acbbrown
on 8/19/12 2:33 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I wish I could be more helpful but I feel like the longer I do this, the less and less I know about nutrition.

That being said - I'm running and working out more right now, and I'm eating 1200-1800 calories, 100-130 g of carbs, 120-140 g protein. In 2 weeks I've lost 6 lbs.  I am going to assume b/c my calories have been high and protein high, most of that weight lost is fat.  I try to get most of my carbs from a complex carb source with the exception of about 25-30g of sugar (the bulk of which I consume prior to a run or hour + workout - usually in the form of an energy supplement like Gu Chomps or things).

I know for me, it's all trial and error at this point. I am praying that I'll continue to lose at least a pound a week with my somewhat higher calories and exercise - so far, its looking pretty good and my runs and workouts are only going to keep getting longer/harder, so i'm confident 1 pound a week is do-able.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

rhearob
on 8/19/12 3:54 pm - TN
 As I transitioned to maintenance I went up 200 calories/day per week.  I think I still haven't found my balance point and am still losing, albeit very slowly.  

Honestly, do what I haven't done yet.  Go for BMR testing based on VO2 exchange.  Find out how many calories you burn just by living.  Use that as your basis to start with.  Then start accounting for your exercise.  When you get to where you want to be, then try to make sure calories in balance calories out.  You may want to include a 20% factor in that.  Some studies I have read indicate that patients who are recovering from obesity should consume 20% fewer calories than patients who have never had a weight problem to maintain.

It takes time to find your maintenance point, don't be freaked if your weight fluctuates some.  Think of it as practice.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

hrford
on 8/20/12 4:25 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Finally found a place near us who does it.  They do bodpod too so I think I'll just have both done.  I'll let you know how it goes.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/

emelar
on 8/19/12 5:13 pm - TX
The best thing you can do is figure out your BMR and go by that.  If you can find someone in your area that does the breathing test, it's a bit more accurate than the online calculators.

At the very least, up your calories to 1000 and see what happens.  With as much exercise and as close as you are to maintenance, you're probably not eating enough to protect your muscles.

And, by the way, I didn't get a chance to say on the other thread what a fabulous horse you got!  Do you have a name for her yet?
hrford
on 8/19/12 8:04 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 Thanks so much!  I haven't stopped smiling since she came home on Saturday.  I named her Phoenix.  Mainly because her Jockey Club name is Firebird Run, but also because she was on the way to the meat market and I'm  able to have her because of coming out of obesity.  So we are sorta both rising from the ashes of our old lives.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views