My Protein Bar Recipe (Pics and baking instructions added)

rhearob
on 8/22/12 7:19 am, edited 8/22/12 12:22 pm - TN

I will let you know how these turn out - but this is the recipe I am trying for my home made Double Chocolate Peanut butter Protein Bar Recipe today

1.  170g (1 3/4 cup approx) of Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate (Chocolate or PB Chocolate)

2.  100g (1 cup) Flax Seed Meal

3.  1 Jar Walden Farms zero Calorie Chocolate Peanut Spread

In the bowl of a stand mixer add the peanut spread and mix on low-medium speed.  Slowly start adding the protein powder until fully incorporated and blended smoothly.  Start incorporating the flax seed.  The dough should start forming a ball, increase the speed on the blender until fully incorporated.

The finished batter will have a consistency between fudge and a grainy thick brownie batter.

Spread the batter in a 9x9 glass baking dish.  You can either cool these in the refrigerator to make a solid bar, or you can bake them.  I came up with the baking idea after seeing the consistency of the batter.  It has a great taste and a little crunch from the flax seed.

Edit:  Baking Instructions:

There is no need to oil or flour the pan.  The Peanut Spread and flax seed will release enough oil during baking.  You will have to spread and level the batter manually.  It is stiff enough that it will not flow during cooking.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes then finish cooling on a rack or clean dishtowel.  When completely cool cut with a sharp knife.

The substitution of the flax seed meal for the flour as a thickening agent really reduces the carbs in these and the calories.  It also boosts the protein some and adds quite a bit of Omega-3 fatty acids (The ALA type, which not everyone processes into the EPA and DHA types- so do not use these as your only source of Omega-3s.  ALA has its own positive effects and definitely helps in the Omega-3/Omega 6 balance).

Here is the nutrition label I generated for this recipe from myND at Nutritiondata.self.com (I do this for all of my recipes).

Edit - smaller nutrition label posted.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

neecie1123
on 8/22/12 7:36 am - NC
 Definitely going to try this one out.  Thanks for sharing with us!
TSinNC
on 8/22/12 8:04 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Can't wait to hear how they turn out!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

momsy55
on 8/22/12 8:29 am - ME
Hi Rob!  The bars sound yummy.  The computer cuts off a little on the right side of the post, so the number of servings, and the total carbs were cut off.  Could you write back with that info?  Also, where did you get the chocolate peanut spread?Thamks!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

rhearob
on 8/22/12 8:53 am - TN
 Hi Momsy,

I got the peanut spread from a local store, but you can also order from Walden Farms website.  If you want to add some calories you could use PB2 as well.  I like the walden farms stuff because its basically calorie free.  Using PB2 would add 82 calories per bar.  PB2 has 45 calories per 2 TBSP serving.  I used 22 tbsp of the walden farms peanut spread.

For the label you can scroll over to the right.  The serving size is 62g (About 6 per pan), 193 calories, 9g of fat (1 sat), 11g of carbs (5 fiber 2 sugar) and 22g of protein.

BTW, the baked brownie just came out of the oven.  I baked it for 35m minutes.  It has a nice cake like interior and a crispy crust.  The little bit I broke off had a good taste.  The texture of the crust is not as smooth as a brownie - a little more grainy.  It will definitely require some smoothing in the pan befre baking next time.  The batter doesn't flow and smooth out like a brownie batter.  Think baking icing.  I'll post some pictures after it cools and I slice it.

momsy55
on 8/22/12 9:44 am - ME
Thanks for the info!!

momsy55
on 8/22/12 9:47 am - ME
Also, you can't scroll over.  It is very funky the way the forum comes through - the box around the post actually ends before the text does.  Not sure how to fix that.  When I read a post, I just try to figure out what's written where it cuts oof.  Generally I only lose a few letters on each of the longer lines.  Oh well, not a big deal!

rhearob
on 8/22/12 11:31 am - TN
 I uploaded a smaller photo, baking instructions, and a photo of the finished bar.

momsy55
on 8/22/12 5:40 pm - ME
Thanks!  I was able to see it all.  The bar looks yummy!

nanarama
on 8/22/12 12:16 pm - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
I love people that can figure out how to bake/cook things.  I, however, am not one of them.

These seriously look and sound terrific.  And since they use my protein powder of choice, I'm in!!!  Thank you very very much for not only developnig them, but sharing with us too!

These will come in handy when I'm at a job (I am a court reporter and I do depositions so never know if/when there will be a break) and I need some quick nourishment.  My big test will be if I can save some and not eat too many at once!! 

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views