habits to learn or lose

sevencats
on 8/22/12 11:54 pm
I expect to be having surgery in mid-October.  So I've got two more months to practice.  Theoretically it takes three to four weeks to change a habit.  So far I've turned my passion for diet coke into an interest in non-carbonated drinks.  (Learning to love iced tea and crystal light, and have one or both available at all times.)  And for the first time in my life, I'm taking vitamins and supplements on a regular basis.  I'm also working regularly with a therapist.

I figure I've got time to build or lose two more habits. 

So, for those of you who've been sleeved...would you give me two suggestions for what you wish you'd stopped doing, or started doing, prior to your surgery?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.  J.
Kelly-AnneH
on 8/23/12 12:14 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Get in the habit of drinking lots and lots of water, but taking small sips rather than chugging it down. That is the most important thing to get down, post op, and many of us really struggle with it. Have a chart or abacus or move pennies from one bowl to another - make yourself a simple way to track how much you're drinking.

Your new priorities need to be:
1. Fluids. Dehydration can kill you, and even fairly minor dehydration will make you feel AWFUL.
2. Protein. Your surgeon or dietitian will tell you your protein goal for each day.
3. Vitamins
4. Staying within your calorie and carb range.
5. Getting up off your bum.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sevencats
on 8/23/12 9:08 am
Thank you so much!  I love the idea of finding a way to track fluid in and fluid left.  Maybe I can turn two things into one habit:  tracking fluids and sipping small!
LadydeeNJ
on 8/23/12 3:44 am - NJ
VSG on 08/13/12
Getting off your bum (as the writer before me mentioned so nicely) is a biggie for me. Learning a routine of exercising is huge. Try to start walking once or twice a day (or any opportunity possible) this is a tremendous challenge and its easier for me because im off for the next few weeks. I want to get into the habit of exercise so when the scale doesnt move i can see inches!!! So..... Get off your Bum !!!!!
TSinNC
on 8/23/12 4:35 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I agree with both learning to take tiny sips and getting off your bum!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

morgans
on 8/23/12 4:54 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Exercise of some kind, any kind, is key. It will be key to a faster recovery and it will give you an outlet for stress eating, etc. 

I am now addicted to moving. I started swimming twice a week and I hit the gym on alternate days. I also walk my dog, clean the house, etc. more readily than I did before.

You are super smart for making changes and adjustments now - that will definitely help in driving your post-op success.

Terry H.
on 8/23/12 5:51 am
 One of the best things I did was stop drinking with meals. That made the post-op time more normal.  Also focus on protein first in your meals.  Just a good practice.  The aformentioned exercise was a big thing also.  Because I made it a habit before surgery, I missed it afterwards.  It helped jump start me when the time came to hit the gym again.

Good luck and you are taking the right steps for success!

Terry

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Could_It_Be
on 8/23/12 6:03 am
 Start tracking every bite that goes into your mouth

VSG on 6/22/11
loverofcats
on 8/23/12 6:27 am
 What the others have said, but also the following are necessary for success:

1. Weigh and measure your foods, so that you learn about portion size. After surgery, you will need to weigh and measure your portions, so you don't eat too much or too little.

2. TRACK and LOG your food, using an online tracking tool, such as My fitness pal, lose it, Sparkpeople, Daily Plate, etc. All research points to this being necessary for successful weight loss and maintenance. I started doing this pre-op and lost my required weight needed for surgery, plus even more. I continue the practice to this day and I am almost two years out. When people stop doing this, portion creep occurs, weight loss slows, or regain starts happening.

3. Start exercising by walking and doing some weight training. The weight training will help you to retain your lean muscle mass during weight loss, which in the long term, will help to preserve your metabolic rate.

I wish I had started a more active exercise program prior to surgery. I did walk more, but I wish I had started the weight training earlier. I practiced the above mentioned suggestions and it really helped. It is great that you are taking your vitamins now. It will help you to be in good nutritional condition at the time of surgery, and is one less habit that you will have to develop after surgery.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

RosieSweetie21
on 8/23/12 6:28 am
Any lifestyle changes you can make now definitely will help. Changes to drink noncarbonated beverages, taking vitamins, seeing a therapist are great habits to start with. Protein, exercise, journaling your food (incl carb, protein, cal), looking for other ways to reduce stress besides eating, making sure you sleep enough, and letting little things "go", making yourself a priority (because if your health is better, it will not only make you happier but it will also make those around you healthier and happier to), communicate with your loved ones in constructive ways (I found I would not say things, and instead "eat my feelings" pre-op) are also habits you should try to incorporate into your life. Good luck- it sounds like you will be very successful because you are taking this seriously  (Don't buy too many clothes- you will become too small for then, quickly!)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views