Broke My Stall - Interesting observation... (another photo)

seeingmyselfthere
on 9/4/12 7:48 am
VSG on 03/07/12
Good Morning Everyone,

Just wanted to post another update. As some of you may know, I hit my first long stall in the month of August. This came after 4 previous months of steady losing - with only 2 - 3 days of stalls every other week or so.  While I haven't been perfect in my decisions - I have tried to be honest and accountable by tracking my eating and exercising in myfitnesspal. Since surgery, I have kept my calories at or beneath 700, 60 - 70g of protein and under 40g of carbs. I have a tendency to obsess about details - and this obsession becomes more profound when there are other areas of my life I have less control over.

In July I went home for a family reunion. I did great with not over-endulging - but I didn't track or exercise. When I got home, I had lost another 4lbs.  I was shocked - I didn't stress while I was on vacaction, didn't obsess over everything I ate or the fact that I made the decision not to exercise that week. I intentionally focused my energy on other things that didn't involve weight loss and the outcome was amazing.

Fast forward to August. I felt like I needed to get back on track with MY process.  I immediately jumped back into my comfort zone of obsessing over everything related to my weight loss. I could feel the stress - all of a sudden I wasn't feeling restriction like I did before, I was craving carbs like I never had prior to (which I satisfied with a lot - and I do mean - a lot of fruit). I hit a wall and did not lose a pound for the entire month. I was still exercising and still tracking, but I noticed my calories and carbs were slowly increasing. I was beginning to feel out of control the more I tried to gain control.  I increased my walking distance from 3 to 4.5 miles a day (i walk 5 to 6 days a week/every week) - i cut my calories back down to 700 and tried keeping my carbs under 45. Still nothing - absolutely nothing. I was so frustrated and depressed.

I finally came back to the forum - not really looking for anything in particular - but I found a few posts from folks that talked about how they did thing differently and lost consistently.  I can't say that eating more carbs or more calories is the answer for me. In fact, I have lost very consistently from my surgery date to now by following the more traditional bariatric weight loss plan of low calories and low carbs. But what I did take away from those posts, was the fact that I had turned my new, healthier lifestyle (which is how I viewed this process from the beginning), into a stress-inducing addiction. And every day, any sign of what I considered a failure, was adding even more stress.  So I decided to let it go... Not throw it all away - but relax my shoulders a bit. Trust that the new coping skills I've been working on will work - if I work them.  I don't have to eat when I'm nervous or stressed - I don't have to choose things that aren't healthy for me - I don't have to give up control to my desires. I know this - I know this!!

So, I stopped tracking. I stopped obsessing over every carb and every calorie.  I've gone back to listening to my body. I eat when I'm hungry and because I don't obsess over what I'm eating I don't feel compelled to gorge or feel empty when I'm finished. My cravings for carbs has subsided. I still have access to the same stuff - but I just don't care for it. I feel my restriction again - almost like I did when I first started. I credit this to slowing down when I eat - the sense of urgency is not there anymore - so I can feel the fullness instead of dealing with being stuffed after the fact.

To sum it all up (i know this was a super long post - but i hope it helps) - I broke through my stall last week and lost another 4lbs! I feel great - my head is clear again - and I have more control, now that I've relinquished some control.  I'm not sure that I won't go back to tracking eventually - but I'm taking a break for a bit to regain perspective. I don't want to exchange one obsession for another - I want to LIVE! So, only 50lbs to go - I really think this last portion of my weight loss journey is going to require me to gain balance in the application of what I've learned so I can experience long-term success.

This post was not intended to promote any weight loss methodology - only to share my story and hopefully help someone else who may be going through the same thing. It's important to be honest and know where you are and how you got there. That's what will help you gain a true understanding of what's going on and how to move forward. 

Take care and be extra good to yourself this week! :-)

This pic is from Sunday - the white is what I wore to church and the other pic is after service loving on hubby before he heads out to work!

Ms Shell
on 9/4/12 7:57 am - Hawthorne, CA
I LOVE the disclaimer about not promoting any weight loss methodology, lol!!!

This journey is ultimately about YOU and YOUR body and food choices and INTERACTION!!!  

You look amazing and are doing an amazing job!!

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

seeingmyselfthere
on 9/4/12 8:19 am
VSG on 03/07/12
Thank you so much Ms Shell!!!! You are absolutely right - we have to find our own way. I tend to forget that even with a guide, I have to walk this out for myself. What good is it to just mimic and never figure out how to be genunine - so when you get to the end of it all you've got it, for you!!! I find a lot of comfort in repetitive behavior, policies and procedures - they give me the warm fuzzies. lol. I'm learning to appreciate that life is a living, breathing and changing experience. Strapping on my seatbelt and trying to enjoy the ride!
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/12 8:04 am
Thanks for your insights. Learning every day. Phew.Congrats on your success!
seeingmyselfthere
on 9/4/12 8:21 am
VSG on 03/07/12
TYTYTY PRinPtown!!! It's humbling isn't it - even after you've been at it for a bit - there's still so much we have to learn about ourselves and this process. I'm so glad that long rant was helpful! Keep up your great work!!
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/4/12 8:09 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I agree, the stress component can be a major factor! I am the same way. Looks like you are having great success and you look great too!

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

seeingmyselfthere
on 9/4/12 8:26 am
VSG on 03/07/12
Thanks so much Blessedmama2010!! We can't overlook the impact stress has in our lives. I'm having to renew my mind EVERY SINGLE DAY - I'm resigned to the fact that I am not perfect and I never will be. I'm grateful I have a God that is - so it takes the pressure off when I remember that. What I can do is make the absolute best out of every opportunity. I'll keep you in my prayers - I know you have to be excited about your upcoming surgery! I would save you a spot on the losers bench - but it looks like you're already among us - lol! Keep up your great work!
kcquilter
on 9/4/12 8:38 am
 First of all you look great!  Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it will give us all something to reflect on.  I agree stress can really affect us & our bodies.

I am 9 months out & like you am trying to make this work for me, it takes a lot of thinking, doesn't it?  We do need to keep trying until we find works for each of us & what we can continue to do for a lifetime of healthy living.

Keep up the good work!

Bobbie
seeingmyselfthere
on 9/4/12 8:46 am
VSG on 03/07/12
Hi again Bobbie - we must be destined to encourage each other today!  I just replied to your post a few seconds ago - lol. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

It DOES require a lot of thinking. It's funny, when I started this journey, I thought the surgery would simplify things - I had no idea the amount of work I would have to do on my thinking and attitude. Now that my body is maxed out on its ability, the only thing left is ME! lol But we can do it - and we're gonna be the better for it. Not just in weight management, but every area of our lives will be affected by the changes we make in how we see ourselves, our significance in the world, our worthiness of greater than what we have settled for. We're not stuck, we're finding our way out! And that keeps me excited and motivated!! Take care!

TSinNC
on 9/4/12 8:45 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Wonderful post. Thank you for sharing part of your journey with us. You look great!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views