Frustrated - day 5 post op - I'm really trying hard, body not cooperating

Ohiogirl
on 10/7/12 8:33 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I had a lot of obstacles before surgery - 2 nights in hospital for cardiac testing after going to ER with chest pain- came back okay  - yeah!   Had breast biopsy 4 days before surgery - thank God not cancer but came back with abscess - so sleeve surgery cancelled for 2 weeks but hey, at least no breast cancer.

I left Had Sleeve on Tuesday - ended up in intensive care - due to low heart rate after surgery and high blood pressure.  Spent 1 1/2 days in CCU before being moved to regular room.  Blood pressure still acting up - stayed 3 nights total - but BP finally in check when I was discharged.  Came home 12 lbs heavier than when I left - hands, legs and belly swollen - so miserable.  Yesterday - got in 60 ounces of fluids, 40 gr of protein,  43 gr carbs and 355 cal - so I thought I was doing well - and BP was good.  

But today - got up with horrible headache - took BP - 174/111 - not good!!  Got on scale - lost 9 lbs of fluid - so I thought that would help BP - but NOOOO!  Took extra dose of BP med as I was instructed to do, still did not move - took another dose - and now I am at 146/88 - but my heartrate is down to 51.  I did speak to PA and she said that some of the fluid was now in my cardiovascular system so that may be why the BP is up - she instructed me to take a diuretic that I have - no problem (althought I did worry since I am trying to stay hydrated that it will dehydrate me) and what did I do??  I went in and took the very small pill without crushing it as I had been instructed to crush all my meds.  I just wasn't thinking - it hit me as soon as I swallowed it.  Man oh man - I couldn't believe it - I am trying so hard and on day 5 - i messed up.  I drank some warm water - hoping that dissolved it on the way down - at least I didn't throw up.

So I have to call the PA back before 8 to update her - hopefully the BP will be down and the heartrate up.  And hopefully swallowing my pill whole  didn't hurt.  Overall otherwise - I am sore and tired and anxious to start losing (sad to be higher than my pre surgery weight on day 5).  

I am self-pay so I am trying to avoid any trips to my local ER - my surgery was done 1 1/2 hrs away (on a good traffic day) so not easy to get there quickly.  

Thanks for letting me vent - might be helpful some new ops or pre ops.

Paula
TSinNC
on 10/7/12 8:39 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I'm so sorry you are having a rough start. Sending lots of healing vibes to you!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Ohiogirl
on 10/7/12 8:51 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Thank you - I forgot to even mention that I have a dry tickley cough that is driving me crazy and of course - makes me really hurt.  And I didn't mention - that from day 2 to day 4 - had terrible diarrhea - but hey - at least that has lessened, lol.  

I keep hoping that next weekend I will be able to post - that this is all a bad memory - like so many others have, ;).
Amy 2bhealthy
on 10/7/12 10:40 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I am sorry you are having some difficulties. Hopefully they resolve very soon and you get to feeling much better!!

I had that tickling in my throat too, for quite a while postop. The only thing I found that helped was to have cough drops readily available. The coughing wouldn't quit until I used one and I know the coughing hurts. I used sugar free cough drops, even drinking something wouldn't help.

Sounds like you are doing well getting your fluids in though!!

Good luck with all!

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

TSinNC
on 10/7/12 10:44 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 It will get better, just hang in there! Don't forget to keep a pillow on your tummy when you cough- the pressure helps with the pain. 
grannymedic1
on 10/7/12 8:53 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I am so sorry you are going through this. I don't have any advice for the BP problems but as to the pill my surgeon told me to go back to my regular meds as soon as I could tolerate them. Probably no harm done.

Here's hoping you turn the corner soon.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

dianne220
on 10/7/12 9:09 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
 I had surgery Tuesday and don't crush any meds.  I haven't gotten my fluid in but got protein yesterday, finally!  Each day I hope to feel better.  I hope you are feeling great soon.  This is a major life adjustment, huh?  Sorry you are having such a hard time!

5' 8.75" HW 278 / Doctor supervised Diet 271 / SW 247 / Doctor's goal 175 / Personal Goal 167/ Current weight 155/  M1: 24.8  M2: 10.8  M3: 10.8  M4: 10.4  M5: 7.6  M6: 10.6  M7:  6.6  M8:  5.6  M9:  5.0

RedStar98
on 10/7/12 9:28 am - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12
So sorry you are having a hard time.  I had surgery on Tuesday, I'm not crushing any pills, I take a BP pill and PPI, also a SF.  I'm still on liquid only, drinking 64oz water, and protein shakes, along with strained soups in between to give me a little variety. 
I hope things turn around for you soon!  I'm cheering for you!

Carol
lucy2e
on 10/7/12 9:49 am - Laurel, MD
Don't stress about the pill - my surgeon lets you take anything the size of a tylenol or smaller.  So a tiny diuretic shouldn't be a problem!

Sounds like you are doing great getting in fluids and protein - that is AWESOME!  

Sorry your BP is giving you so many problems - sending some prayers your way! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

theshrinkingmimi
on 10/7/12 10:13 am
being up in weight was just fluid.

So, do you have insurance at all? I was self-pay, but I think that a heart condition would still be covered if you have insurance.  The obstacles before surgery clearly indicate that this is not a result of the surgery.

Good luck! 
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active