Revision question

chunkymonkey1991
on 11/29/12 4:07 am

Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of people here are newbies and not in the same place as me (I'm a year and a half out). I have a question for people a little farther out.

I really only lost 50 pounds after my surgery, out of 100+. I was 256, went down to 200-205 and am now 212. I took a swallow test and it was normal but I feel like I can eat a lot more than I should be able to and I get hungry a lot. I'm back on track and losing slowly but I made an appointment with my surgeon to discuss the option of a revision (to revise the VSG I have, not go to RNY).

Has anyone had a revision? Does insurance cover them? Anyone have any comments about this?

And please no judgment anyone! I know that I played a part in my failure, I don't need you to tell me that. I just want some firsthand answers about the revision.

Thanks!

Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

acbbrown
on 11/29/12 4:15 am - Granada Hills, CA

Well, I am almost 18mo out, and I can (or at least could before my plastics) eat and eat and eat. Some people were a little scared at how much I could eat. And hunger, with my acid problems, was a constant issues. But ive still managed to lose by being very mindful, tracking and working out. 

Revisions are dangerous, especially these recent "re-sleeve" type things. Make sure you've done everything in your power to lose the weight before you start cutting again - i hate to say that the VSG, even the bst one, is a small tool at that. MOST of the ability to lose and maintain for life is going to come from our choices, so if it's long term success you are looking for, look at changing your habits before a revision.

However, if you really want to pursue revisions, Id highly suggest looking into the DS - it has the best statistics for getting the weight off and maintaining, and maybe you need a stronger tool than a sleeve. You only get a small number of WLS before your body can't be altered anymore - choose wisely. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

rhearob
on 11/29/12 4:35 am - TN

Most insurance policies that I have heard about only cover 1 WLS in a lifetime.  

Having said that, I agree with everything that Alison said.  You really should look into behavioral aspects of your weight loss.  The surgery is only one small tool in your toolbox - and a tool of last resort at that.  During your loss did you attend support groups?  Did you look into counseling for food addiction, compulsive eating, and other behaviors?  Did you weigh your portions, plan your meals, log exercise and calories?

Before going back into the OR, go back to basics and see if you can get things going right again.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active