To plastic or not to plastic

Ashley G.
on 3/20/13 10:52 am - SC

I went and saw a plastic surgeon today for a consultation on what do with my excess skin.  I'm lucky and I don't have much, but there is some there and there's  no way around it without surgery.  The surgery he recommended is called "Around the World" and will end up costing me around $20,000.  I am on the fence about having this surgery.  

On one hand, I really want to have it.  I have worked very hard to get where I am today as far as weight loss and I would like my body to look good as well.  I haven't seen the weight I am since high school and I would like to do everything I can to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I think it may be a frivolous expense.  So what if I have some extra skin?  It could always be worse.

Any thoughts from those of you who have had plastic surgery?

rhearob
on 3/20/13 11:11 am - TN

I'm gonna tell you - For me it was so worth it.  I'm having more soon!

For me it wasn't so much a vanity issue - though that was a huge plus.  I lost half of my body weight.  I had 7.4 lbs of skin removed.  It would roll under me and pinch when I would sleep.  I couldn't control it even with the tightest compression garments when exercising.  The jiggling and bouncing actually caused stress on my hip flexor muscle that caused me to not be able to exercise.

After surgery - a world of difference.  I didn't have much pain but the swelling was f'ing annoying.  It lasted about 4 or 5 months after surgery.  I can wear anything I want AND IT FITS.  I can do anything I want.  Emotionally I feel tons more confident.

One bit of advice - get several consults.  Some plastic surgeons are no more than beauticians with scalpels.  Look for a solid clinician with a proven skill set and track record.  Ask lots of questions.  Some surgeons won't do top and bottom surgeries the same day.  Some won't do skin removal and lipo at the same time.  Some barely do an examination before quoting.  Like our bariatric surgeons everyone has their own approach and process.  Find a surgeon who you feel really comfortable with.  You will be getting undressed for them for quite some time.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

thinnersinner
on 3/20/13 11:55 am

I'm curious what "around the world" consists of. 

sarapilar
on 3/20/13 11:57 am
VSG on 02/21/13

For me, it will be super important.  I am researching this now and trying to find someone both really good and skilled, and not crazy expensive.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

thisbe777
on 3/20/13 12:42 pm

i'm thinking "around the world" is the same as or similar to a circumfrential body lift...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/cosmetic-surgery/bodylift.html

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

acbbrown
on 3/20/13 1:13 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I had my whole body done and right now, 4 mo later, I still have major swelling and really really hate my scars and am more self conscious of the scars than I was the excess skin. Im more comfortable without the skin but more self conscious. I don't regret it thugh - I think Id still do it. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Lee ~
on 3/20/13 2:20 pm - CA
I had the works and I'm so glad I did. I feel great in my skin and love how I look at 62. It's not an easy surgery and takes a year of really taking care of the scars but it's so worth it.

Do get lots of consults. It you're willing to go to Mexico, you can get a lot for your $20k.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views