nearly 3 years post op and post baby weight gain :/

Nikki M.
on 7/5/13 3:18 pm, edited 7/5/13 3:20 pm

I'm seeking some insight and helpful information to get my head back in the game! I had my revision from band to sleeve back in October 2010, so almost 3 years ago already! Before surgery I gained up to nearly 400 pounds  and lost 30 pre-op so was 360 the day of surgery. I lost down to 245 and got pregnant 14 months post op (planned). 250 was my initial goal weight! While pregnant I lost down to about 225 just from increased metabolism and some food aversions/ morning sickness. But I gained it back in the third trimester and gave birth at about 255. I lost back down to 235 after giving birth. Then I went back to work full time when my son was a few months old. I gained back to the 250's pretty quickly and wasn't happy about it, but I was able to maintain that weight without much effort so I just went with it. Well somehow I guess I lost control and have gained up to 270! I absolutely MUST rein in this weight gain NOW!

I have a very busy/stressful life working full time and raising a 10 month old. I have been relying on convenience foods a lot more than I should. I also snack/graze a lot at work out of stress. I know I need to prepare foods at home and stop snacking etc. But I sure could use the support! My ultimate goal weight is 220 pounds. I'm tall and look pretty darn good at 220. So that requires me to lose 50. My husband and I are starting to consider trying for a second baby at some point.. probably in a few months so that our kids are 2 to 2.5 years apart. I want to get back down to at least 245 or preferably lower before I get pregnant again because I had such a great/healthy pregnancy at that weight and felt really good! And because all my maternity clothes would fit :) 

Sleeve wise I feel like I can eat a lot more than I used to. I can easily eat a 6 inch sub sandwich at once etc. The only time I really feel like it helps if in a buffet type situation. THen I can really see how limited I am compared to other people. I can only eat one normal/smallish plate when everyone else goes back for seconds and thirds. Unfortunately I have been pretty successful at eating around my sleeve... meaning snacking and grazing on junk :( Mentally I feel much like the way I used to. I struggle with food addiction/bingeing/emotional eating type head stuff too. I've been in counseling for my food issues for years.  The first year of my sleeve all that head stuff just kind of went away and I felt like i have a normal relationship with food for the first time in my life and it was wonderful and freeing. I want that back!

Any words of encouragement? Any advice to really help besides quitting the obviously bad behaviors? Anyone else in this boat? I will not go back to 300+ pounds. I will not!

Thanks,

nikki

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

acbbrown
on 7/5/13 4:11 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I was/am in your boat somewhat. I went through a deep depression and let my food demons come running in at full speed. I started eating fast food, binging on chocolate and sweets and quite frankly not giving a damn what went into my  body. 

I hit rock bottom - that desperation and horrible fears and nightmares of going back to 400 lbs. I was desperate to feel better mentally and physically soooo one day, I woke up, went shopping, and started a program called Whole30 (intro to paleo basically). It was hard at first. To be so depresssed, and tired, and unmotivated  but i forced myself to start cooking and ive been doing it for almost 35 days now. I eat whatever I want as long as its on my plan, and im slowly losing. For me, my main focus was controling and stopping the weight gain, and then i will slowly transition back into WL mode once im sane again. 

it comes down to how much of a priority your weight and health are. Youve got a lot on your plate and you can either put work and kids and life at the top or you can squeeze yourself in there. If you prioritize and PLAN, it doesnt take a whole lot of time and effort to prepare healthy meals for the week - it aids with the convenience factor to have small portions just sitting there to grab and eat or grab and go. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

VSG on 06/12/13
I totally get the busy mom thing. We signed up for emeals, which provides meal plans and shopping lists a week at a time. You can choose from a variety of different menus such as low carb or whole foods.

Aside from the usuals of getting back to using your tool, you might want to look into something like emeals to get away from convenience foods. Good luck!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Nancybefree
on 7/5/13 9:03 pm, edited 7/5/13 9:05 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Are you talking about convenience foods from the grocer or fast food from restaurants? 

I actually rely on a few of what I term "convenience foods" in my WL phase.  These include Jimmy Dean turkey sausage links, Market Pantry (Target brand) grilled chicken strips, Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges, and Sargento Light string cheese sticks.  I have found them to be satisfying, WL friendly, good dense protein sources, and easy to portion control.  Previously I ate MorningStar Farms Original Grillers veggie burgers.  You can microwave the turkey sausages and chicken strips, both of which are precooked, so I would imagine you could include that in a workday lunch as well as at home.

There are always protein shakes to fall back on as well. 

Are you getting your fluids in during the day?  Remember the "don't eat and drink at the same time" rule?  Use it to your advantage and limit the snacking by drinking, be i****er, hot tea, cold iced tea, coffee, Crystal Light ... whatever floats your boat.

I'm happy to hear that you want to have another baby, but IMVHO you will want to be at your optimal weight before you try again.  I weighed 347 pounds when I gave birth to my one-and-only biological child, and I do not recommend that to anyone.  You DO NOT want to let things get out of hand to that point, my friend!!!  From your post that seems to be a real concern for you, as it should be. 

I wish you all the best in getting things back on track with your eating and your health.  You can do this!

EDITING to add the other rule:  weigh/measure/log EVERYTHING you eat and drink.  You know how that goes, because you have been successful in your plan before.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

mrsfrogdr
on 7/6/13 1:10 am

I am in that same sinking boat!  I am 5'2 ish.  My highest weight was 240.  Got down to 160 and got a we job that involved travel and more sitting.  Grazing like a herd animal and carb addiction has gotten me back to 195.  I am breaking all of the rules.  So, I have an appointment on Monday with my Dr. I am thinking I need some one on one with the nut again.  I know my tool still work just fine.  It's my head that has the problems.  

Please keep posting, it will help me. 

Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

Nikki M.
on 7/6/13 7:03 am
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses! It really does help and I appreciate your tips I will let you know what I decide as far as a plan.
Nikki

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Most Active