Seriously?

Sandy M.
on 8/17/13 9:00 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I was chatting with a lady today who is about 65 or so.  She has struggled with losing weight so was working with her doctor, who put her on a low carb / high protein diet.  She was logging her food on MyFitnessPal, and the first day had a piece of lemon meringue pie.  When she looked it up in the MyFitnessPal database, she found a user-submitted version that had zero carbs.  Very happy, this lady proceeded to eat a lot of lemon meringue pie every day.  True story.  When she printed out her food diary for the doc on the next visit, it was pointed out to her that pie has quite a lot of carbs in it.  

"But the internet says it doesn't have any!" exclaimed the lady.

"Believe me, it does", says the doc.

So this lady has lost faith in MyFitnessPal.  

I was a little aghast, although I struggled not to show it.  I know that everyone is unique, but seriously????

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

MsHomeJames
on 8/17/13 9:17 am - Canada

I guess it goes to show that we're all different.  Anyone that knows much about nutrition would question a zero carb lemon meringue pie. 

Perhaps it's the woman's doctor who is more concerned about her weight rather than she is?  One can always choose the least number of calories for an item on MFP if that's what they're determined to do.  Different strokes for different folks! 

I know it's an effective tool for tracking your diet--it sounds like you do too.  If she's serious about losing weight, it is her loss (no pun intended.)

themexcellentone
on 8/17/13 9:21 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Stuff like that is why I always click on the nutrition info for foods I look up.  Sometimes people don't enter the information correctly and things that should have the major macronutrients mysteriously don't.  MFP can be a great tool, as long as you navigate it correctly!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

PrincessPR
on 8/17/13 9:31 am
VSG on 12/17/13

A little common sense goes a long way.  Just saying...

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

abbeycat43
on 8/17/13 10:02 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Amazing...but I seriously know some people just like this.  If I have a barcode I can scan, I always do that vs using what is already in the system...hard to know what's what, but I question everything...some people are annoyed with me because of that bit of my personality...but it is what it is...

acbbrown
on 8/17/13 12:51 pm - Granada Hills, CA

im not stupid but im not gonna lie...if im eating something and im totaly clueless about the nutrition (very very rarely happens lol) and i search - i go through the whole list that comes up. I usually pick something towards the middle, but if I feel like cheating, i pick the lowest cal/lowest sugar option :;-p

Now I just do that to make me feel better but it doesnt matter what I put into MFP  it only matters what I put in my body...so im always awarre that I can't fool myself or my body. But somedays it just hurts too much to admit you just ate 1000 cal worth of pie lol. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sandy M.
on 8/17/13 10:53 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

LOL!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active