Sleeve Size vs. Calorie Intake Question

Vanessa_M
on 11/8/13 3:21 am, edited 11/8/13 3:23 am

Just curious - 

Do you think that people with a bigger sleeve size require more calories during the weight loss phase?  I just found out that I have a 40 and the 600 calorie daily intake was not enough for me.  I only went up to 700, but I was wondering if that was the reason that I couldn't do 600....

I get the whole thing of bigger sleeve more capacity.  That totally makes sense.  

My doctor's office recommended 1,000 calories at 6 months out.  Could that be because with the bigger sleeve we can hold more food?  

Thanks for your input!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

cappy11448
on 11/8/13 3:43 am

I don't think the sleeve size is too significant.  A while ago someone posted a picture of pens and markers illustrating the difference in size of the various sleeves.  They really don't vary that much.  In all cases, they remove a large portion of your stomach.

I have a 40 sleeve, and at 2 months out, I could only eat about 2 ounces at a meal.  I'm 6 months out now, and I can hold about 5 ounces of food.  I eat 3 ounces of meat and 1 to 2 ounces of veggies.  My calories are between 800 and 1000.  Its easy to overeat no matter what size sleeve you have because many junk foods travel fast through your stomach.  If you eat only at meal time, limi****er before and after meals, weigh and measure your food, eat your dense protein first, and fill up on healthy veggies, you'll lose weight.  If you eat junk food, or you start grazing, you'll defeat the sleeve no matter what size.

With my 40 sleeve, I have lost 66% of my excess body weight at 6 months out.  I'm not complaining!

Best of luck with your weight loss. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Vanessa_M
on 11/8/13 3:52 am

Thanks!  I remember the debate about the pen and marker sizes, but I think Frisco (maybe) said something about capacity over a year or so out and that some people's stomachs can hold 8 ounces and others could only hold like 4.  (I may be messing up the numbers a little)

I think we were sleeved relatively close to each other (like a day apart).  We pretty much eat the same thing - about 3 ounces of meat.  I haven't been doing too well on the veggies.  I throw in a protein shake or two every day to stay on top of my proteins.  I'm at 79% EWL at this point  and am pretty satisfied with my progress (I'd still like to wake up and all of it would be gone!).  I am just getting more and more confused about this process the more I learn.  Does that make any sense?

By the way, I love your posts.  You are always so chipper!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

happyteacher
on 11/8/13 10:53 am

I have a large sleeve, a tall frame and thus likely a longer stomach,  and am 21 months out.  Even very hungry (which is rare) I can eat about 3-4 ounces of steak, a very small salad, and a little cooked veggies.  Or, I could polish off a quart of ice cream.  Sliders go through with any size sleeve.  Larger sleeves can hold more, but it is still far less than what a "normal" adult would eat.  I have plenty of restriction and still can easily transition back to weight loss calorie levels when needed without feeling deprived or hungry.  I am a highly skilled overeater.  I could just as easily eat around a 32 sleeve as a 44 sleeve.  The sleeve helps, but you will need to be mindful about what you eat.  The biggest advantage is if you do fall off the wagon you cannot put down anywhere near the damage as what you might have been prone to prior to surgery, and it is easier to straighten yourself out compared to the pre surgery failed diet attempts. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cappy11448
on 11/8/13 11:37 pm

You are doing great, Vanessa.  Great work with the weight loss.  You should be at goal in no time! 

It will be interesting to see how our stomach capacities change over time.  Personally, I look forward to eating a normal sized serving of veggies in the future! (smile)

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/13 3:52 am

Vanessa, OK, why not, it's Friday and I say we might as well just go nuclear.  Forget regular sleeve size wars or counting calories, I say we should throw in carbs into your post and just get it on people.  Let's go, I am ready to rumble.  :)

OK, back from the silliness and here to try to answer your question.  It depends.  A size 40F sleeve is not made in a standardized manner.  I know people who got a 40F and can eat just about what I can, maybe a little more (and I had a tight 32F ) and I also know others that at a few years out can finish a full burrito plate, have some chips and a few drinks.  So, the question of how this is going to impact you is hard to answer.  In any case, the bottom line is the less calories while still getting the right amount of protein and the fewer carbs, the better for your weight loss.

******Disclaimer****** The following advice is based on my doctor's program, my experience and research, four years of OH and countless success stories.  However, your doctor might have different advice, your neighbor might disagree and you might have read something about starvation mode in some magazine somewhere.  All equally good advice I am sure.  Take what you will, read with the full knowledge that I am not a doctor and I do not know your medical history.  If you are left handed small person of color with the bubonic plaque, my advice should not be followed and you should consult your medical team, minister and the CDC for further advice and comment.

Vanessa, I am just in a mood and teasing, this is not meant to be argumentative with you.  I am feeling light and a bit silly this afternoon.  :) 

Vanessa_M
on 11/8/13 3:57 am

LOL!  I was hoping this wouldn't go nuclear!  I love your disclaimer!  But I know you always have good intentions and have a wealth of information. I was just curious as in to why some people can eat what they eat and why others can't.  But I forgot the key - WLS is not standardized.  And that is what makes a difference.  

I've been a little sloppy with my eating lately and I'm definitely not looking for excuses I just feel like there are days that I can eat more and now that I know my sleeve size, I feel like I have to be even more vigilant.  I almost wish I didn't know!

Thanks for the Friday smile!  Have a great weekend.

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Ms Shell
on 11/9/13 12:37 am - Hawthorne, CA

I LOVE your disclaimer!!!  I don't have the plague but I do have the never ending cough!!

Spencerella
on 11/8/13 4:15 am, edited 11/8/13 12:45 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
I'm on my iPhone so can't see your stats, but I take it you are 6 months out. Regarding sleeve size itself, my understanding is that what starts out as a minuscule difference in the early months becomes a much more significant difference the further out from surgery you get. For example, virtually everyone eats the same amount around 3 mos (ie 2-3 oz dense protein). The slight differences in capacity increase exponentially the further out from sugary you get. So at 2 years out, an example of the capacity might be say 4-5 oz with small sleeve vs 6-8 oz with larger sleeve.

The other important factor that relates to the surgery itself is how the sleeve was shaped at the top and bottom. For example, larger amounts of remaining fundus are correlated with more real hunger.

If real gnawing hunger is your problem at 600 cals (ie lightheaded ness) it could be related to remaining fundus. If your issue is more so about lack of 'fullness' all of us - no matter what size our sleeve - need to eat only to the point of satiation. Needless to say, the further out we are and the size of our mature sleeve really matters if we are eating to the point of fullness.
The other side of the coin is head hunger, which usually relates to carb intake. Even in maintenance with a tight sleeve, more carbs make me feel more hungry.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

frisco
on 11/8/13 4:40 am

Spencerella........ Great Explanation !!!!

Done with such finesse...... mine.... not so much !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views