Get sleeved and go home that afternoon?!?!

JennyLove
on 11/13/13 10:41 pm - Douglasville , GA

At my pre op appt I was told that they are letting patients go home that afternoon if they are able to get liquids in and are coping with nausea and pain well. This really concerned and shocked me. I addressed this with my surgeon who said, ever since they started using a medicine called Emend prior to the operation, that patients are recovering significantly well, and most would rather do it from home. Has anyone gone home the same day or heard of Dr.'s doing this?? He is one of the best in Atlanta so I'm trying not to question his judgment, it just worried me a little.

AdeanaMarie
on 11/13/13 11:16 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

That new med must be a miracle.  I would never have been able to do that.  In fact, my stay was 2 1/2 days and two nights.  No way I could have gone home the first day.  I needed help getting out of bed for two days.  I live alone, so maybe if you had help at home.  But I would be concerned about leaving the same day.  It is major surgery, even laparoscopic, which is what I had, six puncture holes.  I think you should talk to some of them that went home the same day and find out what they thought about it.  Seems too rushed from what I experienced.  But all experiences are different.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

uglymouse
on 11/13/13 11:24 pm - newnan, GA

I have been told you stay overnight. I man Atlanta too, where are you having your. Surgery?

sillymilly
on 11/13/13 11:44 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I wouldn't want to go home the same day.  If it is something your doctor is doing and it concerns you, just tell him you don't feel ready to go home yet.  Complain about the pain if you have to in order for them to keep you longer.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

linzeelee
on 11/14/13 12:00 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Hmm, well I didn't get to drink anything the day of surgery, and I had a drain, so it's hard to fathom going home the day of surgery. Once I could drink liquids and my IV was out, it was pretty hard to stay hydrated.

I'd definitely ask more about this medication and how to make sure you stay hydrated so soon after surgery.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

pumkinpie1963
on 11/14/13 12:12 am

I live in Ohio and have not been sleeved, yet.  However, my surgeon told me the same thing .  He said I will go home the same day.  eeeekkkk.

Mrs_Desire _
on 11/14/13 12:15 am, edited 11/14/13 12:16 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

Well If I were you.

Once you are out of surgery. If you feel ANY PAIN or have ANY PROBLEMS tell them you want to stay. Tell them that you are NOT going to survive like this at home.

By the way my doc is going to be using that Emend too. I was told that I was going to be in the hospital one to two days.

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Gail D.
on 11/14/13 12:16 am

The concept of going home the same day frightens me. I had surgery on Friday morning, and went home Sunday, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be home any sooner. I had an abdominal drainage tube, and didn't even BEGIN taking liquids until Saturday. My doctor has a rule of no liquids of any kind by mouth for 24 hours after surgery.

A note: my surgeon is considered one of the best gastric surgeons in the country, so I know he's no quack. :-)

I would question it. Seriously. This isn't a minor thing.

hollykim
on 11/14/13 12:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

yes,I have read of surgeons who are doing this now. It is much like  gallbladder removal is now an outpatient procedure. Having WLS  is not much  different,medically  Speaking, than a gallbladder removal. 

With the advent of laparoscopic surgery,hospital stays are getting less frequent,with all kinds of surgeries.  Many ppl feel they can't go home that soon,but gallbladder patients and arthroscopic knee and shoulder and other surgeries done with a scope go home  on the same day of surgery every day,all over the country. 

GL

movis
on 11/14/13 12:30 am
VSG on 07/16/13

Mine was called same day surgery, but surgery was at 8:30 am Tuesday and left the hospital at 6 pm Wednesday.  Could this be a matter of semantics? 

Movis   HW: 341,  Surgeon Consult: 333,  SW: 300,  CW: 195

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views