2 questions today

Annievvho
on 12/17/13 12:42 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

1. Anyone have a problem with constipation post-op - preferably if they have found a good non-laxative solution?

2. Does anyone else struggle with taking their vitamins throughout the day? I'm supposed to take my multi twice a day and calcium three times a day and not to take the multi and calcium within 2 hours of each other. I was wondering if anyone else takes them all at once? I have gotten to where I always do that with my multi because I have such an aversion to taking it. It always makes me feel yuck and has made me throw up, and I hate the idea of feeling like that twice a day. Especially trying to work with/around my food, it's a pain.

isign4u
on 12/17/13 1:24 pm
For constipation I use the Miralax powder in my liquids during the day and then every once in a while I will take a sennacote if that doesn't work. I am only 9 days post op, but that is what I have seen on here. Also, some people recommend milk of magnesia. So far things are okay. I can't comment on the vits because I'm on a different regime and haven't quite figured that part out. Take care!
"One mistake does not a day make"        
Machelle.K
on 12/17/13 1:28 pm - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I take Miralax daily but I don't think that's the answer you are looking for...You don't mention what vitamins you take now. I started with Bariatric Advantage and they made me sick. I now take Celebrate and everything is good. I still think it's important to spread them out so you get the most from the vitamins, so I'd suggest finding vitamin you can tolerate.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Annievvho
on 12/17/13 2:22 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

They are the Bariatric Advantage. I don't know what it is about them, and there's no real rhyme or reason to how they make me sick. I've only thrown up twice, but they often give me a rolling sensation. I think it's when my sleeve is empty, but how am I supposed to tell if it's empty? I don't really feel hunger right now. I have head hunger and a sort of empty sensation on occasion. I feel wasteful throwing them away though cause I usually do keep them down. I'm definitely switching after these are gone, though. And for the other issue, I'm thinking about trying some Colace. It's a stool softener instead of a laxative, so maybe it will help without causing laxative problems.

JennyLove
on 12/17/13 10:16 pm - Douglasville , GA

My vitamin was making me throw up as well (Bariatric  Advantage Berry Flavor).  Two days ago I started crushing them up to a fine powder and throwing it in my protein shake. I haven't felt the slightest bit queasy since. Maybe that could help?

mickeymantle
on 12/17/13 2:17 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you take a multy without iron you can take the calcium at the same time and take an iron pill at a different time (2 hours before or after)

after a while you can add fruit and veggies which help , but I need milk of magnesia about once a week

I take Kirkland children's chewable ,2 tablets a day and my nut says thats plenty

and I always took an iron pill even pre surgey

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

G5x5
on 12/17/13 7:43 pm - VA

If you're getting constipation issues just bite the bullet and go with Miralax.  I tried every other product for this and the only thing that worked like you'd want it was the Miralax.  What I know of the non-laxative options is they probably involve too many carbs or calories during the weight lass phase.  I'd rather hit the Mralax and be more effective with the weight lass then change it up at maintenance phase.

Are you on meds other than vitamins?  It was harder when I had the to do BP meds but once that was gone everything got easier. At that point the timing became less critical and the routine easier.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Annievvho
on 12/18/13 2:32 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I'm taking Ursodiol, Prevacid, and Elavil. I am supposed to wait to eat or take vitamins after taking the Prevacid so it doesn't interfere with absorption.

Bufflehead
on 12/17/13 9:51 pm, edited 12/17/13 9:52 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I haven't had any constipation problems since surgery -- I think part of it is due to being lucky and never having had any real issues in that department. But I do my best to keep things regular as well. My strategies: 1. get at least 10 g. fiber per day - if I have to, I use sugar-free fiber powder, generic equivalent to Benefiber (I'm allowed 60 carbs per day and I make use of that to get in some high fiber stuff such as beans and berries). 2. eat/drink at least two of the following every day: beans, prunes, black coffee. 3. exercise! Exercise helps a lot IMO. 4. keep up with my fluid intake. 5. take a chewable probiotic every day - I use the Bariatric Advantage ones.

I've not had to take any laxatives since surgery and am an every day (or twice a day) kind of girl. No such thing as TMI here, right?

Jackie T.
on 12/17/13 10:30 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Non-laxative would be to up your water intake and I also ate oatmeal when it was an issue.  I really haven't a problem in the area enough to complain.

I too have problems with my multi - vitamin and must take with food or I get sick.  I have learned to take it and then eat right on top of it and haven't had anymore issues. Be careful about taking all of your pills at once though because your body may not be able to absorb all of the nutrients at once.  Also I don't think you are suppose to take iron (multi vitamin) and calcium within two hours of each other because the iron blocks the absorption of the calcium.  You might want to speak with your doctor/nutritionist about that though.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views