pills, gummies, and liquids?

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 2/27/14 10:45 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Part of my instructions from the surgeon was that I'm not allowed to really do pills.  I take gummy vitamins, gummy calcium, gummy fiber, and liquid tylenol.  I have a couple of concerns about this.

• This rule seems inconsistent.  I'm allowed to take pills for allergy medicine, PPI, B6.  Granted these are all small pills, but tylenol can be too.
  • Between vitamins, fiber, and calcium these make up in excess of 80% of my daily carbs- 28.  If I can take a pill form multivitamin and fiber, I can probably cut my carbs down to less than 10 daily
  • The expense is fairly silly. I'm happy with the expense on the calcium- I'l take the carbs on that because I just can't stomach the chewables (pun intended). 

So, any thoughts on going back to pills?

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

michellebrad
on 2/27/14 10:49 pm - Eastlake, OH

I have to crush all of my pills, but I can be on pills.  In fact, they tell us to crush the pills and to avoid the gummies altogether.  I know some of the pills are GROSS and nasty, but I've put them in a bit of water with some MiO drops and it helps a bit...

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

Sandy M.
on 2/27/14 11:00 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I only had to do the chewables for about a month - I have no problem with large pills now, in fact my NUT told me the vitamin she recommended, and it's TWO big pills a day.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

claimmaster
on 2/27/14 11:15 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I took my pills...my whole pills...the morning after surgery with no problems.  And I take a LOT of pills.  I've never had a problem with them.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

KellyH67
on 2/27/14 11:21 pm - Richmond, VA
VSG on 02/19/14

My surgeon and NUT specifically said not to take the gummies as they don't absorb the nutrients the same.  Same with calcium caramels (which made me sad…because those are good….though, those were specifically the Viactivs because of the type of calicium…possibly some others are ok).

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.  Excellence I can reach for.  Perfection I leave up to God."  Michael J. Fox

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 2/27/14 11:41 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

you're correct- but there are calcium chews from bariatric advantage that are calcium citrate. Unfortunately there aren't many citrate chewables to don't taste like drywall. 

Bufflehead
on 2/28/14 3:57 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I take Citracal Petites, they are small enough to swallow without being a problem for me. I also do Trader Joe's High Potency Chewable Multi's - much lower calories and carbs than you find in gummies or in the "bariatric" formulated chewables, ironically enough. And cheaper!

justpete
on 2/27/14 11:23 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

you should be more than fine to start back on pills by now. I'm guessing you are on a PPI also, this makes the pills easier to take without upset tummy. I started with a handful each day after about 2 weeks from surgery.  Gummies ... I hear these are not the best either as they dont dissolve easily.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

carrie054
on 2/27/14 11:45 pm

I added up my vitamins the other day--2 chewable calciums, 4 flavorburst multis, and a packet of emergen-c, and realized they were 90 calories.  So, those are treats now.  I went back to pills because I'm struggling some days to keep my calories under 600, so it's dumb to take almost 100 of those in the form of candy vitamins.  The emergen-c is non-negotiable for me right now but I can deal with 25 calories much better than 90. 

I have had a miserable cold for the last week and have been taking giant dayquil and nyquil capsules.  I haven't had any problems.  I also take my A/D in pill form because I couldn't handle the liquid.  I wish I could get a pill PPI--the dissolvable nexium is on my nerves. 

What brand of gummy calcium do you use?  I got some but it was not calcium citrate; asking because I couldn't find a gummy that was calcium citrate and I'd like to. 

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 2/28/14 1:03 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

https://www.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/categoryHandler?cat=Bariatric%20Advantage%20:%20Calcium%20:%20Chewy%20Bites%20:%20Citrate&expand=1

I've taken the caramel and chocolate. The chocolate is so so, but I love the caramel.  They are expensive both in terms of carbs and cash, but this one is worth it. I've hated every other calcium I've tried. 

Most Active