Am I eating too much?

Heather B.
on 5/27/14 11:21 am - Wyandotte, MI

I think there are big differences from person to person. First, scar tissue and swelling could change capacity for some. Also, the size of a meatball can vary wildly. I am a month out too and I was eating 1 1/2  ground chicken meatballs which were probably 3 ozs of meat all together. I can eat less ground beef though for some reason....

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

Tina M.
on 5/27/14 1:03 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

You know, I never really thought about scar tissue... I suppose that could make a difference! I think ground beef contains more fat than ground chicken or turkey. Maybe that's why it takes less to fill you... Just a thought... Thanks for the response, Heather. 

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

Heather B.
on 5/27/14 1:13 pm - Wyandotte, MI

In my experience if you overeat it hurts or you vomit.  Don't  let these replies scare you. Later out you will have to worry about calories and what not as to prevent gain. You're getting so little food in now 1 ounce of turkey burger isn't a problem unless your sleeve tells you it is. Compare  to  what you used to eat not what others eat with their surgery. Each surgery differs as does the recovery plan of each surgeon.

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

Tina M.
on 5/27/14 1:21 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

You're absolutely right, Heather! I really appreciate the input! Best of luck to you on your journey & keep that great insight coming! Lol. 

Amber G.
on 5/27/14 12:48 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Tina! I am 2 months out tomorrow, and am very lucky if I get 1.5-2 ounces of a solid protein in. The other night I was full off 1 chicken wing, but I can oddly eat nearly a whole 5 ounce yogurt at times. I was also allowed to start introducing solids back in at around 4 weeks. I would definitely ask your Surgeon/Nut what they want you eating - ounces wise at this stage.  Then I would weigh it to make sure. The nerves were severed, and maybe you are not feeling the "full" alarm just yet.Its crazy to me, how all of us are so different!

Tina M.
on 5/27/14 1:07 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14
On May 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM Pacific Time, Amber G. wrote:

Hey Tina! I am 2 months out tomorrow, and am very lucky if I get 1.5-2 ounces of a solid protein in. The other night I was full off 1 chicken wing, but I can oddly eat nearly a whole 5 ounce yogurt at times. I was also allowed to start introducing solids back in at around 4 weeks. I would definitely ask your Surgeon/Nut what they want you eating - ounces wise at this stage.  Then I would weigh it to make sure. The nerves were severed, and maybe you are not feeling the "full" alarm just yet.Its crazy to me, how all of us are so different!

Hey Amber! It is odd that you can eat almost a whole yogurt but only a little bit of meat. I can only get down about 2 oz. of yogurt or jello at a time without feeling it in my throat! I'm going to talk to my team on Thursday to see where they think I should be... It really is crazy how different we all are! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/14 12:53 pm

I would say, it's too much.  I would cut back to maybe two ounces for a while and see how that works for you.  I believe in under-eating your capacity to keep the restriction long term.  I think that three ounces at a year out is great, at a month out...not so much.  You can run it by your surgeon and see what he tells you, but that's what I would probably do.  

Tina M.
on 5/27/14 1:12 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you, Elina. I will see my surgeon & nut. on Thursday. Two ounces seems more appropriate to me. I think I might have just been living in the moment... I'll tell you one thing, I definitely didn't have a snack this evening! I'm STILL full from dinner! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/14 1:16 pm

See, that tells me you might just be overdoing it.  Think about the sleeve as you would about tough leather.  Yes, it's hard to stretch it, but over time, it can be done and usually does happen.  It is easier to preserve the restriction by not pushing the capacity.  Also, it's important to relearn what being comfortable but not stuffed feels like now. 

Tina M.
on 5/27/14 1:27 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

So true! I'm learning something new every day! I think comfortable vs. stuffed might be the hardest lesson for me to learn. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have a thousand more questions along this path! I always look forward to the different thoughts... 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views