I feel like I'm not perfect enough for the Sleeve.

TanyaR
on 7/15/14 12:40 pm

So I'm still a good 3 months pre op but I've been stalking OH just to see what the whole sleeved experience is like. I am scared! I read everyone plenty of forums and it seems like everyone on here knows so much about nutrition and it almost sounds like they were never over weight. Don't get me wrong I think its amazing, the bad part is that I don't know if I will ever be that perfect or good. It seems like no one has to much of a problem making the right choices and that they enjoy there life without missing the old one. I've been on all types of diets and have always felt miserable and deprived. I have managed to clean up my eating but still I always have days where I slip up. Did the VSG really change your whole out look on life and food? Will that happen to me? Will I always be stuck with this fat girl brain that eats food because its yummy and not because I view as my fuel. Will I completely fail? Please I hope I don't offend anybody but I would love to read some replies.

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/14 12:57 pm - Canada

None of us are perfect and we all slide and have our bad moments.  You learn as you go and luckily there is a community such as this full of people that you can ask questions of.  We have all been on many many diets and failed or we wouldn't need the surgery.  You don't need to be perfect you just need to be willing to work at it and learn.  The surgery is NOT going to fix you.  Knowledge, therapy, behaviour modification, surgery and many other things will come together to help you reach your goal weight and keep your weight off if you are willing to work at it and continue to work at it for the rest of your life.  This is not a quick fix it is a choice and a new life for you if you choose it. You will get lots of advice here but in the end you have to figure out what is right for you and create your program.  You can do it ;)

Good luck!

TanyaR
on 7/15/14 1:13 pm

Thank you so much, you are so right :)! These 3 months will be a learning experience.

INgirl
on 7/15/14 12:57 pm

Knowledge and action are two different things. Having the info is essential in my mind, as it really re-enforces the reasoning to eat/behave (as it really falls on behavior) in a a healthy way.

None of us would have wound up in the cir****tances warranting surgical intervention without some sort of discord, whether behavioral, emotional, or physiological (or likely a combo of several.)  

The tipping factor (IMO) is frequency, and behavior.. If I eat 80-90% well, nutrition first (in addition to health) I maintain just fine.. I only seem to gain if I eat a. crappy foods (fried carbs, sugar) or I drink my calories (beer, wine, ****tails.. double whammy, not only does your body have to deal with it, but ANYTHING you eat during/after gets stored as fat as your body is dealing with using alcohol as fuel first.)

Perfect isn't needed, smart is.. aware is.. if you aren't willing to face what got you fat in the first place, work on that first.. or else it's just a nice couple year stall tactic. Just my opinion, but I've been fighting the good fight.. and frankly there are moments where I can still surprise myself.

TanyaR
on 7/15/14 1:12 pm

I agree I am still coming to terms with my eating habits. I convinced myself that I only got this big because of my PCOS but truth is, when my insulin resistance was bad I got craving and I gave into them!!! It all came down to gaining lots of weight.

frisco
on 7/15/14 1:03 pm

You learn as you go along..... the first year is really about learning and following a known effective plan and there really isn't much thinking necessary..... although people that come from weak or non-existant programs tend to over think it and make it a guessing game.

We all have been on the diets..... me and Jenny Craig, Nutrasystems, doctors diets, juice diets, Adkins...... all lost and gained more.

Make a commitment to yourself and make this happen......

I didn't take an interest in learning how to cook till I was about 8 months post-op and just applied what I learned from my surgeon and registered dietician to my art background.

Now I have a food blog.... how crazy is that !!!!

Bad food and eating got me in trouble, now proper food is my life.

Don't let anyone try and dupe you..... this is not easy. Much easier than with a giant stomach, but for life is a long time.

WLS surgery is really not about the WL, it's more about keeping the weight off that you lost.

frisco

I don't buy into the "food is fuel" thing..... if that's what it takes.... and works... go for it.

I'm more into food, taste and flavor more now than I ever was..... it's a quality over quantity thing now....

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

TanyaR
on 7/15/14 1:08 pm

Wow that looks amazing, and thank you for your response I see you a lot on the forums and always like your answers!

JuniperLane
on 7/15/14 6:54 pm

I have found your posts to be pretty darn amazing.  I come from a non-existent program as I am self-pay from Mexico.  I am in counseling and doing the work psychologically.  Do you have advice on a known plan that is effective?  I feel like I am doing a lot of guessing.  I gave a description of what I am doing in another post:

"

The different ways to approach eating is just crazy.  Half the time I do not know if I am crazy and feeding some eating disorder (disordered thinking about food).

Here is how I approach it, mainly because I have a lot of acid:

When I wake up I tend to start drinking a protein shake...  it takes me about 2 hours to drink an 8 ounce one (It is thick)  but omg...  it is so good, chocolaty with 30 grams of protein and 190 calories.  Later in the day I will have some chicken or something protein rich like cottage cheese (just had the 1/2 cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes and seriously had a moment of thanksgiving for how darn good it tasted).  I use the serving size and will take the time to eat slowly but FINISH the protein serving.    I do the same for dinner, with a high protein something or other.  I am constantly entering food into myfitnesspal and checking what my numbers are and what I need for the day.  Sometimes I get disinterested in the food after a while and deduct...  when I do that I typically fail to meet my protein requirements for the day. I might have something like some watermelon if I have the want and the nutritional room.

The problem with this way of eating is that it makes it hard to get in all of my fluid.  I drink a lot of tea during the day and some water.  I need to work on the water more although I do drink about 10-12 ounces when I do cardio like Tae bo or something."

Any advice is great greatly appreciated.  Also, where is a link to your food blog?

Juniper

Surgery Date: 6/2/2014     Highest: 333     Pre-Op Diet:  305    Surgery Day:    291     Current:  255     

acbbrown
on 7/15/14 1:05 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Even the ones that sound perfect are far from it. Focus on learning from the long term vets - we can tell you how it really is. The honeymoon is like 1-2 years. The **** gets harder after that. 

At at the end of the day, we all have to make a LIFESTYLE change, simple but far from easy. Days of drive thrus? Gone. Meals based around carbs? Gotta go. Eating your emotions? Really have to work on that. Drinking thousand of calories? Can't keep doing that post off. Social mindless eating? Definitely something to work on. It's all about these components that make up our eating habits. Once you do that it becomes less about having oto make the right decision meal after meal and it gets easier. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

TanyaR
on 7/15/14 1:10 pm

I have stopped drinking calories for about 3 months now, that was one of my first steps and so far so good :). I do have to work mostly on mindless eating and portion control. Have never had an issue with emotional eating it seems like if I am overly happy, sad, mad, anxious or excited my stomach closes and I can't eat because I feel nauseous. But I know that emotional eating can be triggered at any moment in life, my mother has recently become and emotional eater and she has put on 20 pounds!! :/.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views