A little confused....?

Willie H.
on 9/29/14 2:47 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Don't want to seem unappreciative or ignorant but I've been at a stand still for two weeks now? I had surgery 8/26/14 and I lost 21 lbs in the first 3 weeks! That was amazing and I am very happy for that! But since then I have only lost about 3 or 4 lbs which seems strange since I am only able to eat at the most about 800 calories a day. No, I have not begin exercising yet and maybe that is the key. I have to see Dr this Thursday and maybe he'll tell me this is normal? I guess after the lost of 21 lbs in three weeks I thought I would have about 30-35 lbs off by the time I have my 1 month visit with my Dr. Am I expecting perhaps too much? What is the normal poundage rate to expect to lose each week? I do appreciate the weight I lost but I'm just new at this and a little bit confused?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Scott S.
on 9/29/14 2:51 am - TX

Willie... there is no normal.  3-4 lbs in a week or 2 is still pretty good!  

Keep working the system and the lbs will follow.  

VSG: 8/8/13 

Pamela M.
on 9/29/14 2:53 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

My surgery was on 8/25 and I experienced a weight loss stall on week 3 (to the date).  I had been losing 1 lb. per day and then I didn't lose any weight for 7 days but now the scale is moving downward again.  I think the stall is fairly normal for most people.  Just keep getting in your protein, liquids and vitamins and you'll be fine.  It's humanly impossible to only eat 800 calories per day and not lose weight - your body is just taking a pause and saying "Whoa, wait a minute, what's going on here?"  Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged!  Good luck!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Gwen M.
on 9/29/14 2:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Wow, 7 pounds a week!  That's awesome!  And 3-4 pounds since then?  GREAT.  

Stalls are a totally normal part of this process and whoever told you that you'd lose 30-35 pounds in the first month was a liar setting you up with unrealistic expectations.  

Stick to the plan and the weight will come off.  5 years from now you won't even remember this post :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

tstowe
on 9/29/14 3:23 am
On September 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM Pacific Time, GwenMo wrote:

Wow, 7 pounds a week!  That's awesome!  And 3-4 pounds since then?  GREAT.  

Stalls are a totally normal part of this process and whoever told you that you'd lose 30-35 pounds in the first month was a liar setting you up with unrealistic expectations.  

Stick to the plan and the weight will come off.  5 years from now you won't even remember this post :)

I don't know about that.... I had surgery on September 1 and I'm down 32 lbs. I've only got two days more so I don't think I'll hit 35 lbs but I'm hoping for 34. (happy dance... in a manly way)

That being said, I don't think this much weight is typical... although I'm thankful for it. And I'm sure I won't continue to lose at this pace.

Gwen M.
on 9/29/14 4:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There are always outliers.  Expecting to be one isn't a wise course of action.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

luvmypuggies
on 9/29/14 3:00 am

No worried - this is the famous three week stall, and most people experience this. Your body is just pausing to figure out how to work with this new situation, so stick with your plan and the pounds will continue to drop off soon.  Don't expect the same pace as the first few weeks though.  Remember that this is a marathon - just keep trucking along and you'll do great.

mickeymantle
on 9/29/14 4:22 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

almost everyone stalls around 3 weeks , It is also around when you start eating food again ,

everyone loses at a different rate I lose 5 lb a month and my surgeon is thrilled , , it takes people 1-2 years to lose all there weight , faster loose can cause problems like gallbladder problems

slow and steady wins the race

you might also be loosening inchs in stead of lb , you body stops loosing and adjusts to the loose and then looses more

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tracy D.
on 9/29/14 4:28 am, edited 9/29/14 4:28 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Even for people who are heavier (over 300 lbs.) expecting to lose 30-35 lbs. in the first month is an inflated expectation.   There is no "normal" poundage rate to expect to lose each week because everyone loses weight at their own pace.  If you compare yourself to anyone else or set up impossible expectations now this is going to be a miserable journey for you.  

Focus on doing what needs to be done every single day.  The number on the scale is NOT the best indicator of your success; your ability to stick to the process each day IS the best indicator.  It will happen for you 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Willie H.
on 9/29/14 5:17 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you guys. I needed a reality check. Good to know so many out there understand and can help us new ones along the way. I was having so much pain from the gas and where my stomach was pulled out and I was told to take Milk of Magnesia and also that in about 3 weeks my stomach pain would feel better. Almost 3 weeks to the day my stomach pain was gone! This forum is invaluable! I just need to keep taking my protein, drinking my water, exercising and eating healthy! I do feel so much better and I have such a HOPE for my future. So again, thank you all for your wise, sage and experienced suggestions and advice! Journey of a 1,000 miles begin with that first step-but you have to keep putting step over step, day by day! Thanks!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views