What foods are impossible for you to eat now?

Bufflehead
on 4/21/17 6:20 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Nothing is impossible for me to eat, but leavened bread and carbonated drinks both make me feel bad (and bread fills me up right away) so I stay away from them for the most part. Bread I've basically decided to stay away from forever, and I'll have a small glass of champagne at Christmas but that's about it.

I'm almost four years out btw.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/17 7:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hey stranger.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/17 10:15 am

At 5 years post op I can eat anything and be okay. Some things I don't like so much because they don't sit well - like pasta and rice. Early out, I had to be careful though. Give your stomach time to heal and adjust to its new normal.

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/17 12:26 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Yes, I am mostly going off things I can eat from a big menu my doctor's nurse sent me. So I am trying different things to see what is good in my stomach. Nuts have always been a favorite snack, hopefully a few more months out pistachios will feel good again.

AD_Jordan
on 4/21/17 8:21 pm

I had IBS pre-op. Red meat, lettuce, tough veggies, nuts and seeds, and anything fried or oily were problematic.

Now I can occasionally have a couple ounces of steak, or about six cashews. I'm not going to attempt seeds or fried/oily foods.

I find that I am a lot pickier about food ... "quality"? If I don't like the way something feels in my mouth? It's out. I feel like it's much easier for me to feel "grossed out" by food appearance or smells.

I cut my food into much smaller pieces, too. I didn't notice I was doing that until one of my kids mentioned it. I don't neeeed chicken salad to be puréed, but sometimes I prefer it.

I absolutely can't deal with protein powder. Or most of the bars. Feels like a rock in my stomach, IF I can even swallow them. A lot of the time, I can't.

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

Gwen M.
on 4/22/17 4:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

A few years pre-op, I stopped being able to eat greens. No idea why. I've got fructose malabsorption, but the greens issue sort of came out of nowhere. I'm not sure what inspired me to try greens post-op, but eventually I did, and I have ZERO issues with them now. That was a super happy day!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/17 12:25 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I don't mind the protein powders, but I water them down more than they say to. I can't do protein bars. I have tried a few from different brands and they are just terrible. They are too sickeningly sweet to mask a cardboard texture.

diane S.
on 4/22/17 10:57 am

For quite a while raw veggies disagreed with me. But now I am fine with them. I bet after 6 months those nuts will be ok. And if i eat much in the way of sweets which i rarely do, I feel icky. ditto on a whole Quest bar so I usually eat a half one. Otherwise, the only issue I have is quantity. Sleeve is still on patrol and reminds me if I over do it. So I rarely do. Still on duty after 7 plus years. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/17 12:23 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I've noticed sweet things don't sit as well with me anymore, which honestly is fine with me. Pastries, cookies, candy were my downfall. They are what I turned to when I was depressed, so the fact that eating sweets makes me feel really bad (and I mean just sweeter things, not actual candy or cake) is a good thing. It's helping me mend that very bad habit. If I do crave something a little sweeter though, I have been taking crushed ice and just a little bit of strawberry-kiwi crystal life and pouring it over and eating it sort of like a shaved ice. Close enough for me!

NYMom222
on 4/22/17 4:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I think you have to give yourself time...many things were on and off for the first 6 months. Tuna was horrible, and I have no problem now. The only thing I still don't enjoy -as I can eat it, but am usually sorry I did are most cold cuts.... and any kind of bready thing. I use low carb tortillas, and things sometimes...but if I try to eat the whole thing it is too much sits like lead. I was never a big soda drinker so it is no loss... but the bubbles still irritate...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active