Low Blood Pressure?

Carmaneel
on 6/13/18 8:15 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

Hi All!

I'm 9.5 months post-op and down 130lbs.

Today I'm wondering if anybody has dealt with low blood pressure post-op and if you have any tips/tricks on how to cope with it. I'm not at a point where my doctor wants to medicate or is severely worried but I'm really getting sick of being dizzy/blacking out when I stand up!

Thanks! :)

VSG: Aug 25th, 2017|| HW: 398 CW: 250 GW: 190 Age: 29 | 5'9"

Amy R.
on 6/13/18 8:25 am

Many of us deal with this postop and it can be scary; you're smart to be wary of being dizzy and blacking out. Falling is actually one of the biggest risk factors associated with low bp. The fall itself can hurt you, but you're also at risk of bumping your head and that can be serious.

For me, getting up slowly is the key. Plus taking zero steps until the episode passes. I had a habit of just standing up and immediately walking. I would be several steps in (and away from my chair or anything to sit on) when the dizziness and impaired vision would hit. Much better to stay by your seat a couple of extra seconds. Also if you've already gotten up and away from your chair don't hesitate to sit down on the floor. That sounds kind of gross because floors but odds are you'll be down there anyway if you don't have a seat.

It just takes some getting used too. It even goes away after a bit for some. Being mindful in the meantime is the key. Good luck and good for you for wanting to get out in front of it.

Gwen M.
on 6/13/18 9:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Ditto - many of us deal with orthostatic hypotension post-WLS.

Things you can do: make sure you're getting enough salt/electrolytes in your diet. I use G2 powder in my standard drink mix for this purpose.

Pump your legs a few times before standing up.

Stand up slowly.

Wear compression socks/stockings.

If it doesn't improve once you're a year out or so, consider going to a cardiologist and getting your leg veins checked out.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sweetpotato1959
on 6/13/18 5:49 pm

Carmaneel,

I Ditto what the other two have said.

Please take every effort to get up very slowly...It is too easy to get 5 steps from anywhere and get dizzy /black out.. but should you do that get your head low asap...

Plus there are a couple other things you can do... I would make sure to get Mag citrate in a capsule and take 2 daily.(400-600mgdepending on brand, citrate is best utilized by the human body.).. and add Vitamin K2.

Latest info coming out on K2 indicates they are still researching..." how", but that it moves the magnesium, calcium and other vital minerals to needed areas in the body...like to the bones and teeth and away from the blood vessels where it can build as plaque.

I started K2..and could tell I felt beter, more energy, less muscle soreness within 10 days.

Most people have adequate calcium stores in the body but certain populations have medical issues that deplete magnesium...among those with blood sugar regulation issues.Much magnesium is lost in the urine..because of kidney dysfunction.

My husband has had very low blood pressures recently with a fib, and has responded well to magnesium citrate and K2. They tried him on a vaso- constrictor.. and it caused as many side effects as he was having. They started him on 2.5 mg and took it all way up to 20 mg/over 2 weeks. His Cardiac electrician was not surprised he had responded to magnesium.

We also had to take and report his blood pressures before and after taking and standing, other activities... the more he took the worse he felt.. so he has weaned self off of it and back on the K2-magnesium...only. Bad side effects have gone away as his heart has strengthened post surgery/ablation.

Shannon S.
on 6/13/18 8:37 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Do you think you're drinking enough? Dehydration can definitely cause low BP. I would say even if you are drinking adequately, maybe try increasing your fluids. Make sure to rise slowly and steady yourself before standing. This is especially important in the morning as our BP tends to drop while we sleep.

If you think about it, obesity exerts more pressure on your heart. Now all the sudden your heart is acting as a more efficient pump, needing to work less to do its job. Again just counter act the side effects with fluids, electrolytes, and adequate protein.Hope you feel better.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views