How many calories, carbs, protein- 3 yrs post op

msecanales
on 11/15/18 8:52 am

Hello! It has been about 3 yrs since I had my VSG. Having difficulty maintaining now that I can "tolerate" regular foods. Going to go back to the drawing board now that I am at a point where I can catch it early. About how many calories are you eating daily? And what about carbs for maintenance?

Thanks in advance!

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/15/18 8:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I did a survey on this about a year or so ago. From what I heard, most people in maintenance average between 1000 - 1200 calories per day, 80+g of protein, and keep their carbs under 40g or so.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

msecanales
on 11/15/18 9:00 am

This is helpful... I almost wish I couldn't "tolerate" foods because that way I would be forced to not be able to eat. This is difficult for me. Thanks!

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/15/18 9:19 am

Unfortunately it does not work that way. I wi**** did. I know plenty of people who at the beginning of the journey could only tolerate a bite or 2 of desserts. But after a few years post op, and they tried little more every time, then can pretty much eat the foods they used to eat, candies, cookies, cakes, chocolate bars etc. And they eat and regain. There is a way to eat around any WLS surgery.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

msecanales
on 11/15/18 9:23 am

Yes, I completely understand this. This is my struggle as I am sure others as well. Going back to basics.

ScaleSkater
on 11/15/18 12:52 pm

I suggest talking to a professional about the reasons or addictions leading to the eating or working with a NUT to create a better eating plan. Likely the first option is more important. Very few of us can do this alone.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

reree6898
on 11/15/18 12:57 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I reached 3 years post-op in September. I have maintained without any gain however I don't have the same restriction, most days, as I did in the beginning and I have to work really hard to keep myself in check with any sweets or what. I try to not eat sugar at all most days but do allow for a treat here and there. I keep my calories at about 1100 - 1200 a day and my carbs as low as possible, usually 35 or less a day. I also make sure that I watch the hidden sugars and avoid sugar everywhere I can. I only drink water or protein shakes or the rare sugar free lemonade from Chick-Fil-A. I make sure that I log every bite into Fitness Pal each day (I am at about 1200 consecutive days now) and I weigh myself every morning to stay accountable to myself.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Gwen M.
on 11/15/18 1:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that your best bet would be to review your post-op "forever" diet eating guidelines and then to start weighing/measuring and tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.

You know the way you should be eating, so it's really a matter of figuring out what you are eating so that you can make the necessary tweaks.

It might also be worthwhile to examine the mindset of "tolerating" and "regular foods." This sounds like "I eat the foods I used to eat" and, if you do what you used to do, you'll end up where you used to be. The foods you consume in maintenance really shouldn't be that different than the foods you consumed during weight loss.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 11/17/18 8:03 pm - Warren, OH

A pretty good estimate is 10 calories per day per pound for women and 12 calories per pound for men.

A woman who wants to maintain 130 pounds needs about 1300 calories a day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sweetpotato1959
on 11/19/18 7:52 pm

msecanales,

The answers may be as varied a s the individual and what needs each has and their individual tolerances.

Be sure as you re-vamp your intents and plan to get your lab levels checked..at 3 years out metabolic needs can become critical in some people.( I am one of them.)... iron, esp....fyi, there are natural supplements to take that are completely absorbed( they contain all needed to absorb) I till take mvi, magnesium citrate, K2( I added) d3, a dessicated liver product., bitter melon( for blood sugar drops).and avoid any nsaids, keep food volume low. separate food and fluids by at least 30 min. and still maintain a 5-6 ounce pouch.. Basically I follow the plans my orig. surgeon gave me when he did the surgery. I take/need no regular meds routinely.

I do not count calories at all.I do not tolerate many fats or carbs. I count protein and carbs.

I had a hybrid surgery over 2 decades ago. is no longer done. I am at my goal now.had a regain a few years ago caused by stress and hormone changes partially... was difficult to loose but finally got close to where i want to stay. I am 5'5", with a frame that borders between small and large( wrist measurement is 5")

My Doc told me I needed a min. of 90 grams and to keep carbs between 20-50. for times I pick up a few extra pounds I bump proteins up to 100-110 grams. and keep carbs at 20-30 for the day... Measuring all foods as you get back on plan will help you to keep on track and be sure of exactly what you are getting.

Estimation is a skill that is learned by doing and checking behind self with scale to verify, until you are accurate 99% of the time. I was lucky it was easy for me. I had practice for years... My job skills required I be able to estimate percentages of diet intake and fluids consmed by infirm individuals.

take care, you can do this. You are worth it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views