85lb regain options

Jackie P.
on 1/3/19 5:13 am, edited 1/3/19 5:17 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Hey everyone,

I'm almost 6 years post op VSG. Wondering has anyone had a second stage surgery even after hitting your goal? I hit my goal originally, but having a hell of a time now - up 85 pounds and miserable. Wondering if another surgery was an option.

I am taking responsibility for my part of the regain, but despite SO many efforts, I am having such a hard time losing the weight I've regained.

I had VSG in April 2013. Went from 346 pre opti to 155 post surgery. I think in the last 3 years, I have regained about 80 pounds. BMI 37.

I've been seeing nutritionists, psychologists, tried vyvanse, contrave. I'm trying to deal with the mental aspect of this by getting help, but my hope for losing the actual weight is dim.

Thanks!

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

Gwen M.
on 1/3/19 5:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi there.

There are some people who have had a second surgery - DS or RNY.

What are you doing to lose your regain? Are you tracking everything you eat? Are you exercising? Are you reaching your protein and liquid goals?

I'm sorry that you're in a place where you feel losing your regain is impossible.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jackie P.
on 1/3/19 6:11 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Hi Gwen,,

Sadly, I am having a lot of trouble mentally. I know that surgery won't fix that. I tracked my food for 5 years and was a great weight loss surgery patient. I struggle with binge eating, so as I was getting hypoglycemia and gaining a bit of weight 2 years out, I started listening to professionals and started to expand my diet to things I was scared of (carbs, bread) and I think that's where it all went wrong. Now, I don't know what to do. Do I go on another "fad" diet to lose weight? Well how long will that last? Everyone tells me that I have to be healthy, and I'm not too bad at that, but I just keep gaining. I do need to get some more exercise. I walk about 40 min a day to and from work, but I think my body is used to that now. I've spent a lot of time and money on dieticians specializing in eating disorders, life coaches, psychologists, etc.

www.fatfornow.com

Gwen M.
on 1/3/19 9:00 am, edited 1/3/19 1:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

So it seems like you're not tracking your eating now - getting back to that is always the best first step when you're dealing with regain. Go back and look at what you were eating when you were losing weight and feeling healthy, since you have those records. Work on establishing a healthy diet, not a fad diet. You want something that can be a permanent lifestyle.

Most of all, though, the only way you'll see permanent and maintainable change is by sorting out your mental health challenges. A second surgery won't do anything to change your mental habits.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jmk187
on 1/13/19 1:04 am
VSG on 02/13/19
On January 3, 2019 at 2:11 PM Pacific Time, Jackie P. wrote:

Hi Gwen,,

Sadly, I am having a lot of trouble mentally. I know that surgery won't fix that. I tracked my food for 5 years and was a great weight loss surgery patient. I struggle with binge eating, so as I was getting hypoglycemia and gaining a bit of weight 2 years out, I started listening to professionals and started to expand my diet to things I was scared of (carbs, bread) and I think that's where it all went wrong. Now, I don't know what to do. Do I go on another "fad" diet to lose weight? Well how long will that last? Everyone tells me that I have to be healthy, and I'm not too bad at that, but I just keep gaining. I do need to get some more exercise. I walk about 40 min a day to and from work, but I think my body is used to that now. I've spent a lot of time and money on dieticians specializing in eating disorders, life coaches, psychologists, etc.

Hi Jackie P.

I am a type 2 diabetic who also has Binge Eating Disorder..I have not had WLS yet but I am leaning towards VSG. As i read your post I saw you typed that 2 years out out you relapsed with your binge eating and started to gain a bit of weight..and was getting hypoglycemia..That's low blood sugar correct?

1. Are you a diabetic and if so were you on any diabetes meds when the low blood sugar started to happen?
  2. were you eating sugar sweetend foods when the low blood sugar started to happen with the binging?

I am curious about this because I thought i read somewhere on the bariatric hospital site where i am getting the surgery that possible complications from VSG could include Low Blood Sugar if you often eat sugar sweets and too many carbs..and that they might have to cut away some of the pancreas to stop this(which sounds insane to me!) and if that didn't work they might have to switch you to a Bypass.

Jackie P.
on 1/19/19 12:09 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Hi jmk187

I am not diabetic nor never have been. Yes, the hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. I started testing my blood multiple times a day to try to find out what was bringing it on. One of the things that seemed to do it was a latte from a coffee machine at work. The ingredients say there was no sugar or carbs, so who knows. It could of just been from my body adjusting to the major loss. I lost 200lbs in about 1.5yr. Hypo is uncommon in VSG surgeries, but it can happen. It seemed to correct itself, but my eating changed a bit as well (started eating more), so that maybe was part of it. Hard to really know.

www.fatfornow.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/19 6:33 am
VSG on 03/28/17

You can lose the regain without surgery or "fad" diets. I'm not an expert of any sort and am working on my own regain at less than 2 years out. One of the hardest lessons I've learned so far is that it doesn't matter what intense dietary regimen I adopt in the short term, I will gain the weight back eventually. What matters is developing an easy plan that I know I can stick with and doing it everyday, no matter what, even when the scale isn't budging.

AnnieG522
on 1/3/19 6:53 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Bless your heart -- I feel your pain. I'm too early out in the process to offer much advice, but I know someone here will be able to give you some guidance.

Check out Ann2VSG (I think that it) -- she's a long time successful person with lots of pragmatic ideas. And she's a sweetheart.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/3/19 7:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your emotions and behaviors are what are keeping you back from losing the regain, a second surgery isn't going to fix that. In my time on OH, I've seen a lot of people who have a revision surgery, only to regain AGAIN because they didn't fix their bad habits.

The best way to work on regain is to go back to the mindset and behaviors you had immediately after surgery. (Easier said than done, I know; I'm dealing with it myself!)

• Aim for 800 calories per day, or thereabouts
  • Primarily lean, dense protein-- 60g or more, and under 25g carbs
  • Log EVERYTHING you eat
  • Drink 64oz water or calorie-free beverages
  • Do some sort of movement whenever you can, even if it's just walking

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mary Gee
on 1/3/19 11:41 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Jackie....do you really "need" a second surgery? I had my VSG in 2014, and for various reasons, never reached goal. I did not regain any weight, just stopped losing because of the way I was eating.

I'm committed to reaching goal before my five year surgiversary in May. I STILL HAVE RESTRICTION, so I know another surgery is not needed. I gave it serious consideration, but my VSG worked. Don't attempt to fix what isn't broke. Test your restriction. Cook up some chicken breasts and start eating.....see how far you get before you feel full. You can't test it with bread, or pasta or other slider foods. It has to be dense protein.

I've decided to join the "non-surgical" program at my insurer's weight loss surgery center. (I had surgery in MA, now live in AZ.) I have about 75 pounds to lose to reach my goal. I'm not going to a counselor, but I'm doing a lot of reading, journaling, etc. I'm also using an app called "Noom". I signed up for a two week trial for $1 and cancelled it after a week because it was too expensive....but I still get to use the features of logging food, weighing in, and reading their daily articles/tips, etc. There's also an app called "Baritastic" which the weight loss center referred me to. That has a journaling feature.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views