The dreaded BM questions

nmscuba
on 7/13/11 12:08 am - kingsley, MI
First I did post this in the DS surgery forum too so im trying to get as much info as possible.

Hi everyone. I hate to get personal here but since im looking into getting the DS surgery and I have done my seminar and have my first Dr apt for Aug 1st I have a question dealing with BM/s

During the seminar yesterday they were saying that with the DS surgery you can expect 3.7 average BM's daily which I know depending on how you eat will change that such as more fats, carbs etc.

My wife and I are avid motorcyclists, campers etc My job entails lots of travel, doing seminars, standing walking and talking in other peoples facilities  so this question is more important to me cause im not sitting in an office all day where bathrooms are right there for you.

So what I would like to obtain is information about what everyones average is for two types of surgery

RNY an the DS.  Again im leaning towards the DS

So before we have any of the WLS 1 to 2 a day is normal, while your out and about you may feel the sensation of having to go but you can hold it for several hours till you get home, the hotel etc.

Is it the same with these two types of surgery? or is it more urgent that you find the rest room asap?

Whats your average for RNY, Whats your average for DS?

I know this is not a pleasant subject, but its part of life and part of the new life after surgery and a major part of what may be a new lifestyle in that area.

Thank you

Tony
Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
southernlady5464
on 7/13/11 12:25 am
Tony, I typically go one to two times a day unless I've eaten lots of white carbs, I'm also taking two fiber a day cause I got constipated somewhere around month two.

I will say that waiting to go is not good whether you are pre-o*****t...I got the same, gotta go now even before my surgery.

To be honest, other than the consistency, what changed for me was my IBS cleared up. And many of us end up constipated instead of the other way around.

Now I will say that while I was still on liquids, I almost could not leave the house, but that cleared up as soon as I was able to eat normal food again.

I hope this helps.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

nmscuba
on 7/13/11 12:45 am - kingsley, MI
On July 13, 2011 at 7:25 AM Pacific Time, southernlady5464 wrote:
Tony, I typically go one to two times a day unless I've eaten lots of white carbs, I'm also taking two fiber a day cause I got constipated somewhere around month two.

I will say that waiting to go is not good whether you are pre-o*****t...I got the same, gotta go now even before my surgery.

To be honest, other than the consistency, what changed for me was my IBS cleared up. And many of us end up constipated instead of the other way around.

Now I will say that while I was still on liquids, I almost could not leave the house, but that cleared up as soon as I was able to eat normal food again.

I hope this helps.

Liz
Liz,

I totally agree with you on the not good to hold part.  But my job doe take me to the Upper Peninsula and up there sometimes you could be in a car for a couple hours with no place to go if your riding the northern part to Houghton from the bridge.

If Im doing a seminar it will be easy to say lets take a break and such so no problem there.  But im gathering from my posts in both forums diet really has a lot to do with it and also what our bodys like and don't like.

Again I appreciate everyone help and info so much. 
Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
Generic User_Name
on 7/13/11 12:25 am
Tony,

When I was first recovering from my DS and had to "go", I had to go RIGHT then.

As my DS has "matured", I have regained the ability to hold until a more appropriate moment.

The figure you were quoted of a DSer going 3.7 times a day seems excessive to me. First off, what constitutes a 0.7 BM? That seems like being a "little bit pregnant". Either you go or you don't.

Hope that helps shed some light on this "dark" subject.

Charles

nmscuba
on 7/13/11 12:28 am - kingsley, MI
On July 13, 2011 at 7:25 AM Pacific Time, cbramsey5898 wrote:
Tony,

When I was first recovering from my DS and had to "go", I had to go RIGHT then.

As my DS has "matured", I have regained the ability to hold until a more appropriate moment.

The figure you were quoted of a DSer going 3.7 times a day seems excessive to me. First off, what constitutes a 0.7 BM? That seems like being a "little bit pregnant". Either you go or you don't.

Hope that helps shed some light on this "dark" subject.

Charles
LOL  I know I thought that too, But thats what the average number turned out to be from all the info that given to who ever was compiling the data.

So when you take in large numbers of people and divide them up thats where they said the average number came from for 3.7
Tony,

seaview
on 7/13/11 1:01 am
 Have you considered the sleeve? Nothing changes...just your weight...I know lots of insurances don't do it..but it might suit your lifestyle bettter....good luck no matter what you do...SEAVIEW
nmscuba
on 7/13/11 1:24 am - kingsley, MI
yes I have.  I have been looking at all of them.  But I will tell you my thoughts and value everyones input even though I know its a choice I have to make.

I like the thought of a sleeve.  Leaves everything pretty much normal, not vitamin dependent, smaller stomach etc

But my thoughts are this. First like most people that have gained weight I LOVE to eat and when I do its big quantities even though I can say that 1/2 sandwich Im feeling comfortable, but yet I will still do the 26 ounce prime rib at Boones for those of you familar with Traverse City.

So I truly believe knowing my eating habits, which is the same as my sisters and my fathers that it would only be a matter of time that I will push the envelope slowly and steadly until before you know it im back where im at now.

With the RNY I feel the same way. Since they were saying 5 yr study shows only a 50% weight loss of patients who were origionally at 70% which shows that they tend put some weight back on.  

My sister had the RNY 2 yrs ago and she is doing great and looks great, But she said she has put some back on due to her own fault of hows shes been eating which again is something I know I would end up doing.

My thoughts with the DS since it has a 90% excess weight loss which is the highest of the surgeries and that the weight gain is the lowest of them all, with my genetics and such that this would be the most beneficial,  I would like to also add that I do take NSAIDS have sleep apnea, diabetes, starting of high blood pressure and this surgery also has a higer cure rate than the others too which is all why Im leaning this way and will do my best to eat the correct way with healthy foods but this seems to have a bit more variety too in that you can eat pretty much anything within reason

I like the no dumping also which is something else I just can't have with my job. I know its food related, but if I give in an eat two bites of a donut and im doing a seminar I just can't say hey folks I need to go lay down for 30 to 60 min.  Be right back.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated along with any questions.
Tony,

MacMadame
on 7/13/11 4:26 am - Northern, CA
But weight loss results for sleeve are very similar to RnY. So the only thing RnY gets you over a sleeve is:

(1) more complications
(2) greater risk of regain
(3) dumping
(4) not being able to take NSAIDs or time-release meds

VSG has the same stomach as DS and that stomach will NOT let you eat the big volumes you have been eating up until now and it never will.

I think people have this idea that "I need malabsorption so I should get RnY instead of VSG". But RnY isn't a VSG with malabsorption. It's a very different surgery and some aspects of it make it less effective than VSG while other aspects make it more effective. The end result is that when you add up the differences, you get a surgery that isn't more effective overall.

Also, the malabsorption of RnY is not permanent. So, in the end, you are left with the risks of vitamin deficiencies without the benefit of malabsorption of calories.

VSG is perfect for a volume eater, in fact. It's also perfect for someone who is hungry all the time. What it's not perfect for are people with tons of weight to lose and/or exercise limitations and/or certain metabolic issues (some metabolic issues are corrected by VSG but not all).

So far, all the reasons you have given for getting a DS, are also reasons to get a VSG. No dumping, being able to eat a wider variety of food (I eat anything I want -- the only limitation is I'm slightly more lactose intolerant than I was before so I have to limit ice cream and milk or take something with them), being able to take NSAIDs, etc.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Stacey N.
on 7/13/11 1:49 am - Chesapeake, VA
As a RNY person with the BM issues, mine reversed itself. I had NO problems what so ever before surgery. Now I have to take a banefiber and colace to ensure I go at least every other day. Also with ME, if Ineed to hold it, I have been able to with no problems adn these include long drives to different states and even throughout our state.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

MajorMom
on 7/13/11 1:58 am - VA
Usually, normally, almost always....2 times in the early morning after I get up and then I'm done until the next morning. I think those stats are from the olden days when they didn't tell their patients to restrict carbs. Yep, in the early 2000's they told DSrs they could eat anything they wanted to, and they did. This is also when they were collecting data from patients that they still use today. They don't give you data from patients like us *****strict their carbs and take the appropriate amount of calcium and iron and other vitamins.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!