Am I NOT big enough? Will I loose too much?

Lexie 84
on 2/1/12 9:05 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

I am 27 yrs old, weigh about 221 and I am ONLY 4' 10". I have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea. I take meds for the diabetes and high blood pressure. I am ONLY 27! However, ppl have told me, "you don't look that big." You should just try to get the weight off yourself b/c you aren't "that big."

Many ppl don't know my health issues! My BMI is freaking 46! Ppl don't understand. I know I need to drop AT LEAST 100 lbs. But after hearing these opinions, now I keep asking myself, what if I do loose too much. Everybody keeps saying I will look like a "crackhead." I'm scared I could get too small. Is that possible when you start off at my weight?

Kermit P.
on 2/1/12 9:28 am
It would be very unusual that you will lose too much.  Please keep reading the lighweight boards.  You will learn so much and you will see that you are US.  You are not too small and WLS could save your life.

Good luck!!!

~~Jennifer

p.s. we all have gotten the "you are too small for surgery"......it just aint so.
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Panda ..
on 2/1/12 9:58 am, edited 1/31/12 9:59 pm
Price S.
on 2/1/12 10:40 am - Mills River, NC
At 4'11 and 220#, I got the same thing.  I have lost 100% of my excess weight and have been in the 110-116 range for 4 months now.  Yes, I have gotten the "you have lost too much" routine from a few folks but I am in a normal BMI and feel great.  It is the best thing I have ever done for me.  I am off all my meds for BP, cholesteral and off my CPAC. 

Do your research and stay tuned in here.  Lots of short folks here who have heard the same thing, decided to go for health and are very happy about it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

loverofcats
on 2/1/12 11:35 am

You are not too "small." With your health morbidities, you headed for some major health issues. WLS would be the best thing that you could do to improve your health and receive a second chance at a healthy and active life.

I am 58 years old, 4'11, started at 210 lbs, lost some weight pre-op, and eventually reached my goal of 110 lbs. I have been maintaining within a 2 lb range, 108-110 since mid-April. The VSG has been such a wonderful gift and I am grateful everyday for this new body and sense of well-being.

I also received comments like, "you don't look big enough for surgery." Other people don't live in your body and don't realize what an effort it is to doing the basic tasks of daily life. You will not lose too much. If you get too low, add calories and the weight loss will stop. You will have control over this.

Btw, I no longer have sleep apnea, no more machine, no pre-diabetes, no joint issues, hypertension is gone.

You will be so glad that you did this.

Gail

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Kaysmommy
on 2/1/12 12:55 pm - Silver City, NM
The day of my original surgery I think I was down to about 220, and Im 5'7.   Dont ever let others make you feel like you are making a wrong decision.   You have your reasons, and Im sure you have done your homework.   Welcome to the LWs board. 

Aimee

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lee ~
on 2/1/12 1:48 pm - CA
 Welcome to the LW forum where we all understand! 

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

MajorMom
on 2/1/12 6:33 pm - VA
Welcome! We do understand :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

glzgowlass
on 2/1/12 11:43 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I can relate too.  I started at about the same height and weight as you with the same co-morbs.  I also heard "you don't look that big" as well.  Even from a fellow RNYer whose BMI was lower than mine!!!!!

I've lost about half my weight after about 4.5 months.  I'm not worried about losing too much, it's very unusual for this to happen -especially if you follow the program and have a good surgeon.

As others have said, stick around and we can all help each other get to where we need to be.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

bugirll
on 2/2/12 7:58 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
You deffinately qualify. There is a lot of support here. Welcome! I'm a shorty and only weight 205. By BMI is now 40 but I can still wear size 16-18. I get the "your not big enough" all the time. I think alot of people dont know what normal is supposed to look like anymore. There is a lot of emotions surrounding weight in this society and I think poeple become jealous or whatever when someone is losing weight. If this was about something neutral and we were told that there is only a 5% chance of it being fixed on it own or we could have surgery and would have a 50 or 60 or 70% chance of it fixing the problem then friends and family would say But because its about weight and fat people are lazy and want the easy way out(Im being sarcastic) it becomes a whole different story.

Lightweights have a double edged sword. Nott only are we taking the easy way out we also get "you dont look that big", "you carry your weight well", "you dont even wear plus size".
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 295 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 419 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 480 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views