Potty issue,Sorry TMI

Margaret Smith
on 7/31/13 3:12 pm - Lake Wales, FL

SORRY TMI:

Good Morning, Everyone,

As some of you know me and my story about my RNY 8 1/2 yrs ago.Every seens I had my surgery I have been unable to keep food or liquid in because it would run right through me *which made me want to eat more often then maybe I should have* but havent gained any weight back.OK here the thing is every dr I went to said it was caused by IBS,or sentived poch,or they said I wasnt eating right,accused me of eating high fatty foods,nope which I didnt,

Last dr appt I mentioned it to my dr I started seeing,she gave me some meds and said I had a sentive poch,seens no gallblader and I had RNY,she wanted me to try the med I tyed it for about a week it didnt really seem to help,She also said to had more fiber to diet and to eat more small meals through day,as I also have low sugar now.

For about the last week or so we have been eating chicken every day as we r down to whats left in freezer until hby gets his SSD ck,any ways I just reliezed the only time I live in bathroom is first thing in moring I have BM,then when I drink my coffee another BM,other then that I dont live in bathroom.It feels werid because for 8 1/2 yrs I have had diareh every time I ate or drank something couldnt keep nothing in tummy,but now I dont know WTH is going on,but glade I dont live in bathroom right now,just woudering if maybe I wasnt getting enough protein in,and now that I have been eating chicken everyday I have been getting a lot of protein in,my question is has anyone else had this issue or heared of it,

I'm sure there are ppl out there father out from RNY then I am would love to hear from anyone on this issue,

Margaret-FL

MajorMom
on 7/31/13 7:25 pm - VA

Your routine sounds like a DSr's morning routine.  Welcome to our world. ; )   Anyway, how much calcium and what kind are you taking?  You might get things to firm up with more calcium citrate. Also, more of an iron supplement might help firm things up too. 

Low sugar. Keep peanut butter crackers handy and if you feel it coming on, eat a cracker. There's something about the protein and carbs in a peanut butter cracker that seems to help some folks. 

Good luck with this. Please keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Vivian Prouty
on 7/31/13 9:34 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hi Margaret,

I am almost 8 yrs. post op RNY and I have the complete opposite problem.   I have to take Miralax every morning and then sometimes I don't have a BM.    It could possibly be the fact that maybe you weren't getting in enough protein.   You might want to add a shake a day to your diet ( if you quit eating chicken all the time ).    I personally don't think it is the chicken but who knows....could be.   Glad your issues are going away anyway and hope the issues don't return.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Price S.
on 7/31/13 10:06 pm, edited 7/31/13 10:06 pm - Mills River, NC

My DH has to do fiber everyday to firm up his BM.  I do fiber everyday to be able to go.  I do a heaping scoop of benefiber each morning in my protein coffee.  I usually have fiberous veggies at least 2x a day also. 

Is the chicken the only thing different?  I guess that could be it depending on what you were eating in it's place before.  Since this is working, I would make any changes very slowly, one food at a time, to see if you can figure out what caused it before. 

Good luck and hope it continues to be ok.

Oh yeah, years ago when DH had terrible stomach and bowl issues, it totally stopped when we became vegeterians for a couple of years.  When we started eating meat again, it didn't come back.  Never did totally figure that one out.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Huneypie
on 8/1/13 2:27 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Have you cut back on carbs as a result of increasing your protein?  I know as a DSer carbs can cause me issues (depending on how much I have - I can survive small amounts).

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Roz !!!!
on 8/1/13 3:23 am - Butler, PA

You don't have to apologize to us.  I'm feel bad you have suffered with this for 8.5 years.  Hearing you are 8.5 years out though does give me lots of hope.

My DH had is gall bladder out and immediately he started having diarrhea every time he drank or ate.  He went to several Drs. who told him to watch his fats and carbs....it was as though they weren't listening because it happened after he drank something too.

He finally called the surgeon and he gave him a script for CHOLESTYRAMINE.  It started working on day one. It is a flavored powder that he mixes in liquids...he is bad he mixes his in  Diet Mountain Dew.  His script is for 2 times a day but 1 time a day does the trick. He has at least 3 friends at work who had the same problem and after he "shared" packets with them they got scripts too and it helped them immediately too.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Margaret Smith
on 8/1/13 8:47 am - Lake Wales, FL

Ok let me try to answer everyone at one time. I havent been doing Calum because it makes me sick,Chicken is the only thing that has changed where I have been eating more of,I'm very bad abt not taking vitiams,I took the meds that come in packets also it didnt help,so I dont know whats going on unless all this time I havent been getting enough protein in,and I do ,do protein shakes when I remember,lol I like them in my coff bec they r choc.Oh I also forgot I have been very gassy,a little more then usually seens BM have changed.

think I answered everyone if not let me know.

Margaret

Ladytazz
on 8/1/13 2:06 pm

I assume you have been checked for intestinal bacterial overgrowth?  Even if you have had stool cultures that doesn't show all the possible bacteria that could be growing out of control in your intestines.  You could try Flagyl and see if that helps any.  Also make sure  you are getting in enough probiotics.  If it is bacterial overgrowth then your best bet is a course of Flagyl followed by daily probiotics.  I get by with cultured yogurt daily but I haven't had any issues with the overgrowth since my revision, thank God.  I was told that people who have had WLS can be prone to bacterial overgrowth due to the reconfiguration of the intestines.  It can't hurt to check it out.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Margaret Smith
on 8/12/13 9:15 am - Lake Wales, FL

Hello ladytazz,

Sorry I didnt answeer you back I didnt see your message until now,

1st I cant take Flagyl---makes me sick

what kind of probiotics should I be taken ? I had my surgery 8 1/2 yrs ago and dr didnt say nothing about this and now he moved so I see just a reg PM dr at clinic.

How do u check bacterial growth without going to dr?

Margaret

Margaret Smith
on 8/12/13 8:46 am - Lake Wales, FL

Ok here's the lastes update on BM Issues,

I done several things that yall have said to try,And the winner is about keeping a long on food intake and BM change,I didnt write it in a book but as soon as I had change I started going through what I was eating different that week then I did the week before and yes theres certain foods that are a NONO for me and I'm starting to long that in my brain what I can and cant have,because this last surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago changed my tummy habits around I also noticed that I eat a lot of wheat bread,I hear some say wheat bread is ok and then say no bread period.  Someone also posted test the bacteria in colon? how do you that?... And seens they came out with probotics are we ok to take them?  I just feel so dumbs these past few yrs I just cant seem to get my weight to move seens I had the surgery for bloackages. ANy Ideals are accepted and willing to try anything at this stage.    Margaret

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 480 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views