VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » What is different w...

What is different when you reach the magic goal??

PBJ
on 5/26/11 12:05 am
I am obsessed with reaching the finish line...goal!  I am a few lbs away....  depending on the day 2.6 lbs to 4 lbs away.  (scale creeped up today by 1 which is why I say 4...WTF is with that??)
My son asked me the other day...so what will be different when you reach that goal?  Will you stop going to the gym?...NO
Will I eat differently?...NO

So it got me thinking..I am so obessed with this..but will anything change for me?  Except that I will need to find a new obsession!

So my question for those that have reached the magic finish line is....what changes??  What is different once you reach goal??

I didn't have an answer for him...except that mentally I really want that goal!!

Thanks,
Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 12:49 am, edited 5/26/11 12:51 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Not much of anything here, cept my focus went to muscle building from weight loss.  But I still, for the most part, eat like I ate before. 

I guess I finally bought some clothes when I called goal, but yea, not much changed elsewise.

And about the 1 pound scale creep - I have a 5 lb bounce. I dont weigh the same thing every day, or nearly every day, I dont weigh the same thing at the beginnings of my period or any other standardized day.  *shrug*

So, for me, just knowing I am making good/better/best choices 90% of the time - the bounce doesnt freak me out, its just part of my natural fluctuation!

I can save my freaking out for important things, like when I find a tick on me!  or 5!

laurak712
on 5/26/11 4:23 am - New Braunfels, TX
OOh, I found a tick on myself 2 weeks ago...now that freaked me out...gross!!!  I could give 2 hoots about daily scale fluxes.

Laura

Height 5' 7

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 5:09 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
We had a horrible year for the about 2 years ago and this is is just as bad, those teetiny deer ticks that look like a freckle, UNTIL YOU REALIZE YOU NEVER HAD A FRECKLE THERE BEFORE!!ARRRR!@!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 1:23 am
Nothing changed, it's all mental.  I wanted to say I did it, then I moved on to a new obsession.  I bought some cute clothes, that's about it. 
loverofcats
on 5/26/11 1:25 am, edited 5/26/11 1:26 am
I have been struggling with this for the past month, since I reached my goal weight. It was sort of anticlimatic. I have added some calories and different foods, to find my balance for daily caloric intake. I weigh everyday, but take my weekly weight one day/week. I look at what the trend has been for the week, past two weeks, to see if I am still going down or up. Finding that balance will be tricky.

I still go to the gym, track my food, stay away from trigger foods and these things will not change. For me, success equals tracking my food, working with a trainer, daily weighing, and always being mindful of what I am putting into my mouth. Some days are better than others.

My new obsession is working on increasing my lean muscle mass, because I think this is key to keeping my metabolism up and weight off for the long term. Also, I want to get into outdoor sports again. I have signed up for a cycling class, since I haven't done very much cycling since I have been an adult. My goal is to become fit enough to go on an adventure multisport vacation. I could do it now, but I want to add cycling into the mix.

I should add, buying cute clothes has been fun, but I need to be careful!!!! Now, the problem is finding clothes that fit, especially pants. I just bought a pair of size 14 Girl's size jeans.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 1:39 am
Ohhh, I buy almost all my jeans in size 14 girl's.  Try Nordstoms Tracktor jeans for girls, they fit a woman's body very well and are so very comfortable.  I love them.
loverofcats
on 5/26/11 2:28 am
Thanks for the tip!!! I bought the jeans at Target and they were only $9.99!!! Sad, when my nice size 2Petite pants that I use for work are really too big, but they don't come in a size 0. I still need to check out the Junior sections more. But, I would rather have this problem than the opposite one.

I'm not small boned and have broad shoulders, so tops aren't usually an issue, but pants are another thing.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

diane S.
on 5/26/11 2:41 am
Well, try to make yourself bask in the pleasure of the moment because it can be sort of a let down. I went to my doctor apt expecting him to tell me to lose 10 more and he said "you look great, you are done". I went "huh?" Lost a few more trying to find the right amount of calories to maintain.

So go buy some skinny jeans when you get to that goal but then you have to make a new commitment to phase two of this lifelong project which is maintaining. So that means increasing 100 calories a day for a few weeks and see how it goes and find the level that keeps you where you want to be. For me its only about 1200 calories so maintaining is about the same as losing phase except I eat 1200 instead of 600. Still track and still get 70 g protein. I feel like its gotta be this way indefinately.

So it would be nice if the sky would open and doves and confetti would fly out but it doesn't. So you have to make this happen in your mind. For me it was so exilerating to not be fat for the first time in over 50 years that i loved thinking to myself  I AM NOT FAT over and over. I did get some new clothes which were essential but mostly i just take joy in walking around and being to do ordinary things without all the weight.

So go for that goal and be proud you did it - you will - but then you gotta be in charge of your own happy party and where you go from there.

Last night i took a top that i got about a year ago to wear to a wedding. It was a little loose then and now way too big. It wasn't expensive but nice looking so i just took it in and cut two inches off each side seam and stitched it together. Presto, one wearable top! Nice nsv to be able to cut inches out of clothes to make them fit. Even after reaching goal you will find little nsv moments all the time so don't for get to cherish them.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

MacMadame
on 5/26/11 8:23 am - Northern, CA
I eat more. That's about it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights