Why do i feel like my weight loss is slow compared to others.....

nursejlo
on 8/4/11 10:17 am
Im five weeks out and have only lost 21 pounds since surgery.....and im a heavyweight! Is this normal? Im so discouraged because im barely eating anything! I kno im getting my protein in but I've been having making a better effort with that. Does increasing ur protein really help?
Ms. Poker Face
on 8/4/11 10:26 am
 That's over 4 pounds per week!  I'm 6 weeks out and have lost 26 since surgery, so a pretty similar pace to you.  I'm ecstatic about it!!  Yay us!

Be sure to get your 64+ oz fluids daily and 60+ g protein daily.  I believe that it helps.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

acbbrown
on 8/4/11 10:36 am - Granada Hills, CA
At 5 weeks out, I was only at 21 lbs lost. I went for almost 3 weeks with no weight loss, but then have lost maybe 8-9 lbs in the last 1.5 weeks (i also started eating more like 800-900 cal too in the last 1.5 weeks). Sooo just ignore the scale, and keep doing what you need to do.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

mysticblue
on 8/4/11 10:56 am
It would depend a bit on your plan. First, think of the last time you last 21 pounds in 5 weeks. It is rather extraordinary. Second, check in with your nutritionist to ensure you are meeting the guidelines of your plan. If you do not have a nutritionist, I would get one - and make sure they are a bariatric surgery nutritionist. I was on 300 calories a day for the first three months, with no protein drinks. If I went to a normal nutritionist, they would have wanted me to eat much more (which I couldn't have even if I wanted to). So talking to someone who understands this surgery is critical to your success.

As for protein, I am in a different camp then most. I did not worry at all about protein until after my first 3 months. I still only get in between 40-50 grams a day, but I get my bloodwork checked regularly and have no deficiencies. My nutritionist believes that this amount of protein is appropriate. As I get further out it will probably go up a bit, but not much more.

I would also suggest that you take your measurements. When my weight loss has been slow, I have noticed significant changes to my body size.

Lori H.

cattywompos
on 8/4/11 11:03 am
I know it is hard not to compare yourself to others, but you are doing WON-DER-FUL!  21lbs is absolutely nothing to sneeze at!  You are losing at a very normal rate and should not worry. Especially considering that first month most of u**** a stall. I think I lost like 15lbs my first month because I hit a stall after the first week that lasted nearly 3 weeks. Stick to what you are doing, compare yourself only to your prior self and look for NSVs. It will happen!  Increasing your protein certainly wouldn't hurt, but I am a believer in your body just needs time in the beginning.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

BriarRose
on 8/4/11 11:33 am
Weight loss surgery is not magic. Magic is looking at the before and after pictures and it takes you 2 seconds to see these huge changes in everyone !!! Magic is reading that someone lost 100 pounds in a year, and thinking that you can do better than that !! But in reality, it is alot of work for everyone. And it doesn't always feel like it's moving quickly enough, or moving at all. I end up writing on my blog almost every month, twice a month about how discouraged I am, at that stubborn half a pound that won't move.....but then I am writing equally as often if not more -- about losing my pants in the garden, finding my collar bones, and buying smaller clothes....it's a process.....

Weight loss surgery is ..... losing weight at an increased clip than you usually would; eating very small amounts of food; learning to drink and drink and drink all day long; weight loss surgery is counting protein, counting carbs and counting calories, while learning to exercise and move more.

The magic is that for most of us, who tried to lose weight before, THIS WORKS.

My first month I lost 20 pounds. All in the first three weeks, then I stalled for three weeks. Month two, I lost 12 pounds. Month three 10 pounds. Month four 8.75 pounds, Month five 8 pounds, Month Six 9 pounds. I lost 34 pre-op in 6 months.

I watch what I eat, I exercise at least 5 days a week, I drin****il I feel like I'm going to float away. No magic here...although I have to tell you, some days, I feel like it is to me !!

You are doing fine. Totally normal. Right on track !!! Hang in there !!!

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Mr Mom
on 8/4/11 12:58 pm, edited 8/4/11 12:59 am
Right now your stomach is nearly an open wound. DON'T do anything that your Dr does not instruct you to do. That includes changing up your diet to try and loose at a faster rate. Your job right now is to heal propperly and get in your protein and fluids every day. The weight loss will happen all by itself if you follow the Dr's advice.
If you don't feel like you know what to do at this point in the process you can refer back to your pre-operative training materials or contact your nutritionist (NUT). If you don't have any materials or a NUT please follow this link to find many excellent guides for bariatric patients:
vsgfaq.wordpress (dot com)
I personally find that the LAPSF manual is excellent!
Looking forward to your future updates!... Craig

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

CatherineTEACH
on 8/4/11 2:25 pm - TX
I feel the same way!  It is so frustrating.  I am 4 weeks out and have lost 20 pounds.  I know that is good but I wish it were more as well.  I am stalled and it is driving me crazy.  Thank goodness for this site, otherwise I would be really, really frustrated.  Surely it gets better from here, right?! 
  GW 150# (fingers crossed!)   

"Success comes before work, only in the dictionary." 
  Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers Coach    
Lisa J.
on 8/5/11 12:44 am - OK
Go to a store and strap on a 20# bag of dog food and walk around for an hour.....THAT ought to snap you out of this depression!!

Wasn't it more frustrating to not be able to wear something because you couldn't fit in it?
Wasn't it more frustrating not being able to fit in a booth table?
Wasn't it more frustrating huffing and puffing 20lbs ago?

Nobody likes being stalled, but EVERYBODY gets them. And everyone gets past them. We all are frustrated from time to time.

And it ABSOLUTELY DOES get better!!! OH BABY, MY GOD YES, IT DOES GET BETTER!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Father Don
on 8/5/11 12:29 am - Charleston, SC
Rule #1 : Don't compare to others.  You are an individual.  We all got this way at different stages, different ways, differing amounts.  It will come off the same way. 

Rule #2:  When in doubt, feeling bad, of find yourself comparing, refer to rule #1.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 157 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 429 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 447 views