Recent Posts

_chonk_
on 7/8/20 11:38 pm
VSG on 07/17/20
Topic: Dr Illan

Hi,

I am scheduled to have a VSG with Dr. Jalil Illan in Tijuana on July 17th, at "Hospital BC". I just wanted to check in with folks to hear if they have any experience working with him? I have only found good reviews on the internet about him, but I wanted to just check in with this forum to see if anyone had any comments or thoughts they could pass along? Just to triple check before heading down there for surgery!

thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you might have!

SuMari
on 7/8/20 10:18 am
Topic: RE: Are pre-operative tests done?

Thank you for your response. Just trying to look at all options

MarinaGirl
on 7/3/20 6:08 pm
Topic: RE: Best doctor for duodenal switch?

I had a lower body lift and brachioplasty with Dr Sauceda in Monterrey, MX in Feb 2020 and had a great experience/results.

hollykim
on 6/27/20 5:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 27, 2020 at 8:49 PM Pacific Time, Kirst wrote:

Dr Ungson did my BPD with DS in 2005. I had such a great experience! Worth every single penny.

I just came back to this site to search for PS- in Mexico hopefully so I can actually afford it :)

I had such a good experience with Dr. Ungson, I thought I'd try to track down a referral from him- anyone he recommends?

• I don't know if he recommends anyone but I have used Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mx twice now with the most recent being February 3020.
  • his email is [email protected]

put consult in the subject line. Heusially comes to the states twice a year for impersonating consults but probably won't this year.

Kirst
on 6/27/20 1:49 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Dr Ungson did my BPD with DS in 2005. I had such a great experience! Worth every single penny.

I just came back to this site to search for PS- in Mexico hopefully so I can actually afford it :)

I had such a good experience with Dr. Ungson, I thought I'd try to track down a referral from him- anyone he recommends?

BPD with DS in 2005.

hollykim
on 6/19/20 11:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 31, 2020 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, Butterflies899 wrote:

Hello all! I've been doing research on going the surgery route after years of yo-yo dieting. My insurance doesn't cover it and since I'll have to do self pay I'm looking at traveling to Mexico. Right now I'm mainly considering the Duodenal switch as my BMI is at 52. I see that it's available at Mexicalibariatric with Dr. Esquerra. All my research says that's a great option and that's at the top of my list as far as choices most likely. However I see that Dr. Illan at Bariatric pal MX also performs this surgery at a much more affordable price. I can't find much information to come to a solid comparison on the two. Why is Dr. Illan so much less expensive? Has anyone had the duodenal switch with either of them or can recommend any other experienced doctors in Mexico that perform this particular surgery?

I do t know anything about dr Lilian but I had my ds at Mexicali bariayrics with Dr. Ungson and my experience was excellent. I only recommend them as I have had more than one wls in Mx and they were by far the best experience.

it is true that you get what you pay for.
Good luck!

hollykim
on 6/5/20 10:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Topic: RE: Are pre-operative tests done?
On June 2, 2020 at 5:43 PM Pacific Time, SuMari wrote:

If you chose to have surgery in Mexico, did your surgeon run all the tests prior to surgery? Bloodwork, scans etc? Did you do it here in the US or were those tests done in Mexico prior to surgery? If you have a complication after surgery, do you go back to your surgeon or will they recommend someone near your home to follow up with?

labs were done the day of my surgeries in Mx. they got the results within a couple of hours.

most surgeons only cover complications that occur while you are in Mx. they don't refer you to any doctor in the us because they don't know of any doctors in the us.

if you choose to have surgery in Mx, it is an elective procedure. You need to be very pro active about your after care , making sure you have found a doctor yourself who will follow you and is willing to order your labs etc.

SuMari
on 6/2/20 10:43 am
Topic: Are pre-operative tests done?

If you chose to have surgery in Mexico, did your surgeon run all the tests prior to surgery? Bloodwork, scans etc? Did you do it here in the US or were those tests done in Mexico prior to surgery? If you have a complication after surgery, do you go back to your surgeon or will they recommend someone near your home to follow up with?

SuMari
on 6/2/20 10:39 am
Topic: RE: 15 years out!

Congratulations! Can't wait to make a post like this! Still in the process of weighing out all my options

Butterflies899
on 5/31/20 6:57 am
Topic: Best doctor for duodenal switch?

Hello all! I've been doing research on going the surgery route after years of yo-yo dieting. My insurance doesn't cover it and since I'll have to do self pay I'm looking at traveling to Mexico. Right now I'm mainly considering the Duodenal switch as my BMI is at 52. I see that it's available at Mexicalibariatric with Dr. Esquerra. All my research says that's a great option and that's at the top of my list as far as choices most likely. However I see that Dr. Illan at Bariatric pal MX also performs this surgery at a much more affordable price. I can't find much information to come to a solid comparison on the two. Why is Dr. Illan so much less expensive? Has anyone had the duodenal switch with either of them or can recommend any other experienced doctors in Mexico that perform this particular surgery?

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 262 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 450 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1064 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1630 views