Recent Posts

Ms. Shrinkydink
on 5/26/20 11:17 am - Kansas City, MO
RNY on 11/28/05 with
Topic: 15 years out!

I am almost 15 years out from RNY in Puerto Vallarta with Dr. Armando Joya!!! Starting weight 350 / current weight 160!

IT WORKED!!

hollykim
on 4/21/20 5:33 pm, edited 4/21/20 10:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Topic: RE: Standard of care in Mexico
On April 21, 2020 at 10:41 PM Pacific Time, KimmyJJ wrote:

hollykim, this helps greatly, especially coming from a retired nurse. You would know what to look for, so I appreciate you letting me know that. I see by your post it lists a surgeon and I'm guessing he did your bariatric surgery?

Was it easy to get to the surgery center and did they have recovery onsite or was it nearby?

Getting information from someone who actually experienced this is so important to me and helps greatly!

yes most surgeons have a driver who picks you up from the hotel and takes you to the hospital then brings you back to the hotel when you are discharged. Depending on your procedure you will stay the. Umber of days your surgeon wants in the hospital then more days at the hotel.

my plastic surgeon actually picked me up at the hotel himself and drove me to the hospital.

all of my surgeries were in hospitals and I was i the recovery room for a while, just like I the US then went to a room where I stayed for several days. Then on to the hotel.

edited to add: Dr. Ungson at Mexicali Bariatrics is the only surgeon group I recommend. They will give you the experience you will be wanting. I have had three surgeries and the experience with them was the best.

KimmyJJ
on 4/21/20 3:41 pm

hollykim, this helps greatly, especially coming from a retired nurse. You would know what to look for, so I appreciate you letting me know that. I see by your post it lists a surgeon and I'm guessing he did your bariatric surgery?

Was it easy to get to the surgery center and did they have recovery onsite or was it nearby?

Getting information from someone who actually experienced this is so important to me and helps greatly!

hollykim
on 4/20/20 9:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 16, 2020 at 9:27 PM Pacific Time, KimmyJJ wrote:

Hi all, I'm still researching for surgery and leaning toward having VSG. If you had surgery in Mexico, did the hospital have high standards of care and cleanliness? I have never been there, but if I end up paying cash for my surgery, I want to weigh my options and have good info. Thanks!

I have had several surgeries in Mx. the standard of care is excellent, actually better than some of the care I have received in the US.

if the cleaning staffed mopped the halls outside my room once, they must have mopped it a thousand times.
spme of the hospitals outside appearance is older but the insides are state of the art. They have the same equipment as you find in the US, including crash carts for emergencies and every other necessity. I am a retired nurse so I know what I am looking for.

many facilities have staff who speak English from one degree to another and google translate speaks is the best ever.

hope this helps.

KimmyJJ
on 4/16/20 2:27 pm
Topic: Standard of care in Mexico

Hi all, I'm still researching for surgery and leaning toward having VSG. If you had surgery in Mexico, did the hospital have high standards of care and cleanliness? I have never been there, but if I end up paying cash for my surgery, I want to weigh my options and have good info. Thanks!

Dee_Caprini
on 4/3/20 3:17 pm
Topic: RE: OCC question

I am not sure if you had surgery yet, but if you haven't and are still doing research, I would not be comfortable with this policy either.

I hope you have found a center/surgeon that you feel comfortable with

IamevilHomer
on 2/19/20 8:06 pm
VSG on 06/01/16
Topic: RE: Dr Joya Puerta Vallarta

Hi,

I had surgery with Dr. Hoya in May 2016. I received great care. I found the hospital to be beautiful, clean and safe and nursing and medical staff to be very attentive. At that time they kept you for three days post-op for the post-op swallow study, pain management and aftercare. Then you are discharged home to a lovely resort to recover for a few more days with meds like omeprazole, antibiotics and an oral non-opiate pain med. the day before you fly home the Dr. Joya visits you in the hotel to remove the staples from your incision and you're good to go!

I hope this helps and you enjoy the same success I have. I've been at goal for years and just completed all my plastics!

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/20 10:50 am
Topic: RE: Revision surgery in Mexico

Dear KayLavonne

I'm just doing operations in Turkey.

Unfortunately, I cannot serve abroad.

Best regards,

Fatos

KayLavonne
on 2/3/20 11:23 am

No questions really... just if you did go out of the country, what was your experience?

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/20 10:51 am

Hi!

Have you considered Türkiye?

Do you have any questions in particular?

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 263 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 451 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1064 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1630 views