Low Carb Breakfast: Egg White Short StackSeptember 30, 2022
Delicious, gluten free, low carb breakfast: The Egg White Short Stack. It’s a high protein stack of egg whites, layered with avocado, low-calorie cheese, and mushrooms.
Since starting on my final (successful) weight loss attempt 18 months ago, egg whites have been central to my mornings! And a typical morning is a FULL cup of egg whites! So many people send me emails after seeing this on my diet meal plan, assuming I made a typo.
That is no typo! 1 cup of liquid egg whites is 100 calories, and 20 grams of protein, with zero fat and zero carbs. A pure protein source, making it very low in calories. You just can’t beat it! I like to buy liquid egg whites from Costco, because they are so affordable!
I love eating eggs in different ways each day, but I REALLY like when avocado and cheese are involved. I’ve made
So, yeah. You might say I love my eggs, cheese, and avocado!
What are my favorite low calorie cheese options?
I’ve been using different cheese options, depending on which store I’m at. Almost every store I shop at only has ONE of these options. Forcing me to use a different kind each time I shop. My favorites in order are:
- Sargento brand thin sliced cheese, and Ultra thin sliced. These are 40-50 calories per slice!
- Sargento reduced fat cheese (60 calories per slice)
- Great Value fat free cheese (45 calories per ounce)
- Feta fat free cheese (30 calories per ounce)
- and Velveeta (if there is nothing else, I’ll get the 45 calorie per slice Velveeta.) Check the label because they have a variety of calories on different packages. While Velveeta isn’t the BEST choice, I actually don’t mind it, and it kind of grows on you.
So, there you go! While I would have preferred the Sargento thin sliced cheddar on this stack of egg whites, the Velveeta was pretty good!
Give this a try and let me know what you think!
Low Carb Breakfast: Egg White Short Stack
Recipe by: Amy Roskelley of Health Beet
Makes 1 Serving
Prep Time: 5 minutes: Cook Time: 5 minutes: Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 slice velveeta cheese
- 20 g mushrooms
- 30 g avocado
- 1 shake Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- Pour 1 cup of egg whites into a large skillet, or 1/2 cup at a time if your skillet is small.
- Cook egg whites on both sides like a pancake, until no longer runny. Slide egg whites onto a plate. Cut 3-4 inch circles out of the cooked egg whites.
- Sautee mushrooms in the hot skillet. Mash avocado in a bowl.
- Layer egg white circle, Velveeta cheese, avocado, and mushrooms. Top with more mashed avocado and sprinkle with Everything But the Bagel seasoning and salt as desired.
Nutritional Info (1 Stack)
Calories 199; Carbohydrates 6 grams; Fat 7 grams; Protein 26 grams
ABOUT THE AUTHORAmy Roskelley is a health & fitness professional with a Bachelors of Science in Community Health from BYU. She is a Certified Personal Trainer (ACE), Certified Personal Chef (IAP), and Certified as a Nutrition & Wellness Consultant (AFPA). She is the founder of the health and fitness blog, Health Beet and the creator of many low calorie recipes author of weight loss books. Read more articles by Amy!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|