White Chicken Chili Recipe – Creamy and Comforting!March 7, 2016
White Chicken Chili is creamy, comforting, and absolutely delicious. If I’m feeding a group of people, sometimes I’ll double or triple this recipe. I love this chili because it is simply made creamy by cheese that offers protein, not by any other cream. Top it with scoops of avocado, sliced green onions, corn, cilantro (for those people who like cilantro;), or plain Greek yogurt…when doing that, use plain 2% or 0%. It’s the thickest and creamiest! Also, this freezes wonderfully!
White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-tel® tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded 2% reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- Spray a large Dutch oven or stockpot with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high (or use 2 teaspoons of coconut or grape seed oil). Add onion, and cook until slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic. Sauté until chicken is cooked through.
- Add cumin, oregano, chicken broth, Ro-tel®, and beans. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and stir in cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup
Recipe makes: 8 servings
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: (without added topics)
Calories: 276; Total Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 5 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: .5 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1.6 g; Cholesterol: 65 mg; Sodium: 609 mg; Potassium: 310 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 17 g; Fiber: 5.2 g; Sugars: 0 ; Protein 32 g.
Originally published on AnnessaRD, reprint shared with permission of Annessa Chumbley, RD.
ABOUT THE AUTHORAnnessa Chumbley, RD, is a bariatric dietitian and her website "Annessa Nutritionist" provides inspiring nutrition information to the bariatric community and general public. She enjoys getting the community healthy through nutrition segments on Indianapolis' FOX 59 Morning News, and 93.1 WIBC called "Power Up Your Week!", as well as a local healthy cooking show.
Find more recipes from Annessa!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|