No appetite, don't want to eat, nothing tastes good

brandi1973
on 2/8/10 6:08 am

I will be 2 months out on Feb 15th. about two or so weeks ago i was very sick, could not eat for 8 days, was dehydrated, VERY nauseated, gagged and dry heaved when i'd try to eat so I had to restart phase 1 and 2. I was told to go back to phase 3, which for me is chicken, tuna, fish, cheese, etc. But I can't seem to get myself to eat anything. I have no appetite, am not hungry and when i force myself to eat i can only take a couple bites and i am disgusted because nothing tastes good so I basically for about a week don't eat and I know that is not what i am supposed to be doing. The most i eat is a couple bites of something a day, usually cheese. I'm not nauseated like I was but when i put the food in my mouth and start chewing and swallow, i feel sick.

Today i decided i better eat something that sounds good rather than nothing so i had some yogurt (2 oz). I am taking my vitamins and have been drinking protein shots (26 grams). But thats it besides liquids. I had started eating beans a few weeks back but nutritionist told me no its too soon, but beans seemed to go down better for me and i had an appetite for them. I just don't know what to do. I want to gag thinking about meats and cheese so i really don't have many other options.

I have an appt on 2/19 and plan to talk to doc about this. In the meantime, anyone else having this problem? I feel like i'm starving my body and i know this is not good for me. And yes I try everyday to eat. That is where i get my couple bites and then i just cant' stomach the thought of food, its not that i'm just not doing it.

RNY 12/15/09. 35 lbs lost Pre-op 9/09 - 12/15/09, 122 lbs lost post op so far, 157total!
Kerri G.
on 2/8/10 6:23 am - Overland Park, KS
One of my first things when I was allowed soft food was taco bell pintos -n -cheese.  You are still early out so you will not be able to eat that much anyhow.  You just need to find something that you can tolerate, and stick with that for a while and slowly add to it. I still have trouble with Chicken and some fish still, but I can tolerate it somedays.  It is one of those things that sometimes they get dried out when cooked and that is not good for us.  Needs to be moist and chewed well.  Make sure to let your surgeon know what is going on.

Survivor hopeful!  

DIAMOND33
on 2/8/10 6:25 am - CHICAGO, IL
I was like that to but you have to eat or your going to be back in the hospital you will get over that it took me some time to but now I'm a picky eater and ground beef smells so disgusting i stay away i be feeling like a pregnant women but not pregnant so hang in there talk to your doctor but you have to eat, you will pass this phase  i just got over it about the beginning of my 3 mos post op and now I'm 4mos and sometimes that's why i feel like i have lost weight to fast ,sometimes i can't believe that this is me so you will get over it and be eating in no time good luck and keep up the great work.
mkbeany
on 2/8/10 6:33 am

Chin up! It will get better. I suffered like this about about 2 months. I talked with my NUT. She assured me I was not alone and told me to eat what works. If I wanted liquids- have liquids. If I want only yogurt and cottage cheese- have it.

Hydration is number one. Keep your drinks coming.
Protein is number 2. Then supplements.

The take home message for me is that just because they advance your diet, does not mean you have to plow ahead. I have a very conservative surgeon. My diet was 4 weeks of liquids, 4 weeks of pureed, 4 weeks of soft then onto a "reg" diet.

I stay in between pureed and soft because I feel better. I like what is familiar, esp when I am working. On weekends I venture out and try new things. Still having trouble with chicken. Beef is okay. Turkey bad...tuna better. It is all new these days.

I have my whole life to advance to regular food. I am not in a rush.

So, don't be too rough with yourself and your system. Feel your way. Eat what sits well with you as long as you are getting some nutritional bang for the buck!

It will get better...really.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
mittenfarm
on 2/8/10 6:36 am - County Line, MI
Eat what spounds good to you and what you can tolerate to get your protein in. If you want beans, eat beans, You are far enough out you will be fine. Just make sure you are getting your fluids in because dehydration will cause nausea and loss of appetite and it gets to be a vicious circle. You don't take enough in because you are nauseated/ no appetite, and that leads to dehydration which leaves you with no appetite, etc. I have pretty much done my own thing with eating since the beginning, using common sense of course. I could NOT eaat the way the NUTs wanted me to. Do what works for you.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

ErinsClovers
on 2/8/10 7:18 am
 When you say you did your own thing, what kinds of things did you eat?  Maybe something will sound good, I am in the same place....

utleysmom
on 2/8/10 6:49 am - NC
I agree.  If you can find something your body can tolerate and it has protein in it.  Eat it.  You taste for food will return.  I remember hating to eat.  I no longer enjoyed the taste of anything and dreaded meal times.  I could not stand some things and I had to force myself to get in my allotted protein.  Keep trying.  It does get better.  I hope your doc can help.

Highest/Pre-op/Current/Goal   259/222/155/130 

"Do one thing everyday that scares you."  -- Eleanor Roosevelt
brandi1973
on 2/8/10 6:50 am
Thanks everyone! Yes beans work for me and don't bother me. I'll try again. My NUT is so strict and I feel bad not following her but everyone i talk to has such different plans and most do eat beans so i'm sure it won't hurt me. Yogurt goes down really well, the one i have is 3 grams of sugar not sure about protein. does anyone know a yogurt with protein?

Glad to hear that i'm not the only one. I figure it will pass but I do worry. I'm going to be honest with my surgeon. they may get mad at the things i'm eating and say i'm being non compliant but i do not want to end up in the hospital.

Thanks for the responses!

RNY 12/15/09. 35 lbs lost Pre-op 9/09 - 12/15/09, 122 lbs lost post op so far, 157total!
Whirlwind
on 2/8/10 7:20 am
Get some Greek Yogurt, basically its strained yogurt.  Its got more protein than regular yogurt. Add Splenda and a dash of vanilla.  Yum.
You can also add some whey protein to yogurt for an extra protein boost.  Get creative.  Mix protein into decaf coffee.  Mix protein powder into SF pudding.
My favorite smoothie:

1 scoop Isopure Vanilla protein (23 grams protein, no carbs or fat)
10 frozen cherries
a couple of ice cubes
1/2 a cup of milk
a dash of vanilla
3-4 tsp of splenda
1/2 tsp guar gum (optional, makes it thicker.  You can add a tablespoon of SF pudding mix instead)

Yummm cherry vanilla smoothie.....but I like the taste of whey protein.  I'm sick like that.
If you like coffee and you're allowed caffeine, get some Click on Amazon.  Try different proteins until you find one you can tolerate. 
Try Wendy's chilli, and Boston Market Chicken or turkey, very moist.

At this point, you should be getting at least 60 grams a day of protein......remember, protein is medicine.  As Shari says, you can do hard things.

Remember that if you get dehydrated, you won't want to drink.
The same is true of protein malnutrition.  If you don't get enough protein, you lose your appetite.

Good luck, stay focused, you can do this.
brandi1973
on 2/8/10 6:53 am
P.S. OMG yes i do feel pregnant! feels like morning sickness big time! I even took a test although my tubes are tied LOL

And yes i dread meal time. Before it was like OOOH time to eat!!!  now its like ewww time to eat. LOL

Most Active