weight creeping up by working out

patrickh
on 4/26/11 9:04 pm - Dayton, OH
So in the last three months I've been more aggressively working out due to looking too skinny and frail when I was at my lowest weight.  Now my weight is creeping up.  Theoretically it is muscle but none the less it is freaking me out.   I've seen improvements in my upper body definition and my weight lifting feels good - it is just a hard balance.  Working out makes me more hungry so I need to make sure I don't eat more than I need.

Just venting

Patrick 

Highest 406 / Surgery 391 / Lowest 196 / Current 219

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 9:11 pm
 I will take more muscle and better cardio over less weight any day.   As soon as I heal from my recent surgery I am hitting the gym again and I know it will put more weight on me and I am looking forward to it. 

Keep up the workouts and if it makes you more hungry then, by all means, eat but make the best choices.  If you do that then I can't see how you can do any wrong.   I can tell you, but you may already know this, that if you take your protein within an hour of working out it is giving you the best benefit, from what I have heard.

Best of luck!!!

Kathleen W.
on 4/26/11 9:21 pm - Lancaster, PA
I'm with the other post.  I would rather take muscle any day.  I can't wait to be able to work out.  But because of one surgery last week and another being sceduled for late June,  I have to wait.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

mittenfarm
on 4/26/11 10:00 pm - County Line, MI
I know how you feel. I have gained back about 15 lbs. from my lowest weight, but I needed to do that as I was way at the bottom end of my BMI range. I know I look much better now, but still fight daily to be accepting of my current(healthier) weight. None of us want to go back to where we were before, and it becomes a big mind game!
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

Elizabeth N.
on 4/26/11 11:23 pm - Burlington County, NJ
It's time for you to start using different methods of measuring your "success."  Scale numbers are a rotten way to define yourself, because they lie and when they are not lying, they give almost-useless information in terms of defining real health.

Start looking at things like better fitness, able to do more activities and stuff like that. Maybe spluge and go get a body composition analysis so you can SEE the increasing muscle mass and all the health benefits that brings.

It's time to broaden your view of things :-).
Paul C.
on 4/26/11 11:46 pm - Cumming, GA
If you are going to do weights the best advice is to forget the scale and go by Sizes.  You can add 20 pounds of muscle and probably remain the same clothing size as you are at a lighter weight. 
Contrary to popular belief muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 pound of muscle weighs the exact same as 1 pound of fat. But Muscle is more dense so that 1 pound will take up much less space as the pound of fat.

Good luck on your weight training and don't forget to get protein in within 45 minutes of your workout.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
patrickh
on 4/27/11 3:18 am - Dayton, OH
Thanks for the support. 

I think the clothing size thing works because all my clothes still fit OK.

Working on my post work out protein right now.  Worked out at lunch.

Smart choices for eating - that is the one I'm screwing up on...

P.

Highest 406 / Surgery 391 / Lowest 196 / Current 219

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 3:28 am - Charlotte, NC
You sound like you do not believe that the gain is from muscle (theoretically). My suggestion~TOSS OUT THE SCALE! I mean it! Free yourself from the madness! Use your mirror and clothing as your new yardsticks! You are intelligent and are currently allowing the scale to dictate your life.
If working out makes you hungry; which it should help in curbing your appetite...maybe a visit to a nutritionist or therapist who specializes in WLS are other positive options??
...and venting is a positive! We are all here for one another.
Laura S.
on 4/27/11 5:16 am
I understand completely.  It's hard to see the number on the scale go up.  But how are your clothes fitting?  That's what matters.  When ever I am unable to work out due to a surgery or illness I always loose weight and when I get back into working out aggressively I gain about 5 pounds.  That's where I am now and it does mess with my head too, but it's a good thing.

Laura

Most Active